Altering cast

Dave at kelton

Does anyone have experience of altering the cast on a pistol grip OU? The reason I ask is that I am toying with buying a Yildiz wildfowler but surprisingly they don’t offer a left hand option. So whatever I bought would have to be altered. That is fine but I have mixed experience with OUs. Worked fine on a best quality highlander but was a disaster with a beretta whitening which wouldn’t hold the cast. In the latter case it was my daughters gun and we went for a silver pigeon with factory cast on stock. I guess it depends on the quality of the walnut so perhaps not a given in every case.

i can only quote from myown experience..........if you are looking to alter cast ...choose a gunsmith that uses the sisal string and dripping hot oil method......it is slow   but i feel it is far more gentle than using infa-red lamp..............you may have to get it done a 2nd time as well ...the gunsmith will warn you of this (or should do)

I have to have extra cast in any gun I buy. Not being ‘Mr average’ re dimensions, it’s either that or miss a lot. It’s fine if you use a known stocker who’s properly skilled. Quite a routine job for them. Find a good one - who can’t do it tomorrow because they have a waiting list. 

I had a gun once where the wood sprung back to its original zero cast position (after having cast-off applied). It happened gradually over the course of a day’s pigeon decoying. My shooting got progressively worse and worse as the day went on, to the point where I was missing nearly everything. This was the only gun that ever did this. Not the stockers fault, it just happens sometimes. I couldn’t be bothered with more work, the waiting and expense, so just sold it. From experience, if they don’t budge after a couple of days, they’ve ‘taken the set’ for good. 

I had a pistol grip Beretta altered to increase the right hand cast.  It was some time ago, but I can remember being told that they could move it, but not very far.  The problem is that a pistol grip is all 'thick' compared to a straight hand s/s, and as well as the size, it takes a lot of patience to get the heat right in to the centre.

They did get it OK for me and it has not returned.  I should also add that mine doesn't have a stock bolt.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I’m 74, not 4.

Well I’m cracking on a fair bit 

however I took time out to take the grandkids to the book launches and to the time to find out about it 

slight bonus is I have first editions of most of the books 😊

anyway it’s about casting a spell the right way and the consequences of casting it the wrong way 

applicable to cast on gun stocks the right way is a asset the wrong way is just no good 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Well I’m cracking on a fair bit 

however I took time out to take the grandkids to the book launches and to the time to find out about it 

slight bonus is I have first editions of most of the books 😊

anyway it’s about casting a spell the right way and the consequences of casting it the wrong way 

applicable to cast on gun stocks the right way is a asset the wrong way is just no good 

Thank you.  Enlightened, though I have not personally tried casting either stocks or spells.  I might manage the stocks but ...... I will pass on the spells