Dash Cams

ilovemyheckler

I am thinking of getting a dash cam in my new truck but as I have never had one before I would appreciate some advice.

Bearing in mind I have a truck (with a canopy on the back) is it possible to have one in the rear as well as the front? I don't want wires to run from the double cab into the back but I do have a power supply in the back.

What are the "must haves" etc and how easy are they to install? My current plan would be to buy from somewhere like Halfords who offer supply & fit 

Thanks

What's your budget ??? 

Having one in the back of the truck will need wiring in to something, do you have interior lighting in the canopy that it can be wired up to ? 

I would get 2 decent single camera's and wire them in separately. 

Wiring is simple enough. 

Buy something that stores " the evidence " for up to 2 weeks before it writes over it.

You may have an incident that you are not aware of, and need to reference the footage a couple of weeks later.

When its overwritten you are stuffed.

It will  mean a fair old spend but it will be worth it.

My Thinkware,  " near the bottom of their range model ( that cost approx £150 ) "  caught me out with this scenario.

Edited by tonyshooter

From a previous thread on this subject:

Personally, I would get a kit with proper rear facing camera and spend an hour running the wire, and not have 2 separate cameras.  Then it will record on one memory card, be in sync and you will know from the screen of the main one if the rear camera is working.  Fewer points of failure.

9 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

From a previous thread on this subject:

Personally, I would get a kit with proper rear facing camera and spend an hour running the wire, and not have 2 separate cameras.  Then it will record on one memory card, be in sync and you will know from the screen of the main one if the rear camera is working.  Fewer points of failure.

Rear facing dash cam in a truck ? as much use as chocolate tea pot. You can get 2 cams that would record simultaneously via bluetooth. 

Nextbase twin cam   

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

Rear facing dash cam in a truck ? as much use as chocolate tea pot.

Eh?  Why?  True it can be challenging to mount one, and it's a little painful to run the wire along the chassis rails.  There's a nice little recess above the reg plate, but below the tailgate, on my L200

You...you don't think I mean camera facing the passenger compartment do you?  Like taxis use to film drunks?

You can get 2 cams that would record simultaneously via bluetooth. 

But you'd still need to run a wire to power it!  What's the point?  Might as well run a proper hardwired camera.  No connection/pairing issues then either.

'owww much?!

3 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Eh?  Why?  True it can be challenging to mount one, and it's a little painful to run the wire along the chassis rails.  There's a nice little recess above the reg plate, but below the tailgate, on my L200

You...you don't think I mean camera facing the passenger compartment do you?  Like taxis use to film drunks?

But you'd still need to run a wire to power it!  What's the point?  Might as well run a proper hardwired camera.  No connection/pairing issues then either.

'owww much?!

I had a twin camera next that gave that the ghost. The rear facing cam did not give me much of a usable image.  The one in the link ( you think is expensive) would need to be hard wired in. Simple if you have lightning in the back, or just piggyback of rear lightning. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

The one in the link ( you think is expensive)

It's £350?  I've got usable results with an £80 front/rear set, and that's at night.  As I said in the post I linked to, what price to your place on your liberty?  A bit over-dramatic perhaps, but plenty of people have avoided prison (not necessarily in the UK) as a result of having dashcam footage.  Hence the advice on here to avoid the petrol station specials.

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

The one in the link ( you think is expensive) would need to be hard wired in. Simple if you have lightning in the back, or just piggyback of rear lightning. 

Still think it's easier to just run a cable carrying power and signal, along the chassis rail, through the main harness gromet into the cab.  Rather than trying to splice into a power supply from the rear lighting - which will only work when the lights are on, no daylight running lights at the back.  You might find the ignition-switched live for the caravan trailer socket.  Interior light circuits are either permanently live (older vehicles) or switched via some kind of body management unit (newer vehicles), neither of which I would advocate tapping into for something you want to come on with the ignition.

I found the physical size was an annoyance, so I opted for a very small unsophisticated/untechnical one ( 2 reasons, its out of sight so doesn't disturb me with a screen etc and less likely to get pinched ) also opt for a top quality data card as the continuous overwriting will fry the card if you buy cheap

Thanks everyone, that's given some things to think about. Didn't cross my mind that another screen could be a distraction so possibly get a small one.

Also great tip on buying a good quality memory card

I wonder why car manufacturers haven't started putting them in either as standard or as offering them as an upgrade?