Weasel question

30-6

How can the tiny little teeth do any damage to a rabbit ?

I honestly fail to see how they can penetrate the skin. Also, anyone who's had a live rabbit in a purse net will know the strength they have, how can such a small animal like a weasel overcome this ?

I can’t answer your question unfortunately but nature is a funny thing mink also small will  fight a bear to protect its young, in the country attack horses and dogs. Maybe they’re the physic’s of the animal world 

Rabbits wouldn't be targeted by Weasel, as much as Stoats, and certainly not full grown rabbits. They mainly go for mice, rats, voles etc. Those little teeth are sharp, and a rabbits skin ain't that tough. All it takes is a small hole, in the right place, and the rabbit is done for.

On 02/03/2023 at 22:46, 30-6 said:

How can the tiny little teeth do any damage to a rabbit ?

I honestly fail to see how they can penetrate the skin. Also, anyone who's had a live rabbit in a purse net will know the strength they have, how can such a small animal like a weasel overcome this ?

I was lucky enough to see a weasel killing a rabbit. I was driving very early one summer morning. I saw a rabbit sitting in the road being attacked by a seemingly small brown fast moving animal. I stopped my car and watched - no other traffic in this small country road. It turned out to be a weasel. It didn’t use one bite on the back of the neck as I had previously assumed. It used multiple bites in very quick succession. Within 5 minutes or so the rabbit had been bitten probably hundreds of times all over its body. The odd thing was the rabbit just sat there seemingly paralysed, squealing at first, then silent. Eventually the weasel dragged it off to the side of the road and down a hole. The rabbit was approx 3/4 grown, so a massive size difference. It’s hard to believe how tenacious these little creatures are. 

On 03/03/2023 at 11:07, islandgun said:

Ive never seen it but i've heard that a rabbit will actually die of fright when attacked by a stoat or weasel

It's that bite to the spinal chord that leaves the rabbit incapacitated. The dying of fright, is just an old wives tale.

44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, weasels mainlky go for smaller prey and amzingly moles are included. I had one pop out of a mole hole when walking in my orchard. Gave me a stare and scuutered off into the hedgerow,   Amazing little animal as are stoats.

I've seen photo's of weasels actually caught in mole traps. Amazing little animal.

Unfortunately that's what brought about this post I started. Had one in a putange, and I've previously had 2 in fenn traps when targeting rats. I know legal to catch, but I'd rather not. Stoat and weasel are a treat to see, always think of them as on my side.

Funny true story, one of the farms near me who have a " posh little lap dog ", as I call them, and cost a couple of bob. The wife let said dog out for a pee and he went straight to a large flower pot which happened to have a stoat in it. She said the noises the stoat was making was very eery.

9 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

Unfortunately that's what brought about this post I started. Had one in a putange, and I've previously had 2 in fenn traps when targeting rats. I know legal to catch, but I'd rather not. Stoat and weasel are a treat to see, always think of them as on my side.

Funny true story, one of the farms near me who have a " posh little lap dog ", as I call them, and cost a couple of bob. The wife let said dog out for a pee and he went straight to a large flower pot which happened to have a stoat in it. She said the noises the stoat was making was very eery.

I've had them in cage traps. They make all sorts of sounds, and they give off a very musky smell. Not stinking like a mink, but a much more pleasant smell.

A mate of mine used to go on land from grange farm to the keepers cottage at Worsley .He used to set box traps alongside the path.he had about 20 traps was in his house one day he pointed to a settee.he said we call that the weasel settee  he got it from the sale of live weasels.He advertised them in a magazine called something like fur and feather . He was getting £50 each for them and this was about 20 years ago .

27 minutes ago, dipper said:

A mate of mine used to go on land from grange farm to the keepers cottage at Worsley .He used to set box traps alongside the path.he had about 20 traps was in his house one day he pointed to a settee.he said we call that the weasel settee  he got it from the sale of live weasels.He advertised them in a magazine called something like fur and feather . He was getting £50 each for them and this was about 20 years ago .

I used to shoot there, courtesy of Peel who owned it when I worked for them.