Where to keep my gun

shawn9914

My house is going on the market this week and at this time we do not have a property to go to if it sells. 

We are possibly going to live in our motorhome for a few months so we are in a betrer position as cash buyers once ours sells. 

My question is where will i keep my rifle, it could be upto 6 months in my motorhome. 

Would my local gun shop store it for me or could i put it in a friends cabinet with his shotguns. 

Has anyone on here had this issue and what did you do. 

Thanks

The only person that can store...keep...a s1 firearm for you is someone who themselves are directly authorised to possess it.

An RFD will have a blanket authority to possess any s1 firearm and so won't need a specific authority to store your rifle. They just take it and entere the sepcific detail oin their register.

A private individual who is not registered as a firearms dealer must hold a specific authority to store....keep....your rifle. That is their FAC must list it by maker's name, calibre and type be it a bolt action rifle, a lever action rifle or whatever. 

Note that post-Dunblane the "use it or lose it" rule applies to s1 weapons. Therefore even if stored with an RFD or anyone else you'll still need, arguably, to show use of it from time to time. 

Its a bit late specially if you sell sooner rather than later, but if your friend could have put in for his FAC (if not already ticket holder) and applied for the same calibre you have you could have shared the rifle on both your's and his ticket.  

8 hours ago, Dougy said:

Its a bit late specially if you sell sooner rather than later, but if your friend could have put in for his FAC (if not already ticket holder) and applied for the same calibre you have you could have shared the rifle on both your's and his ticket.  

You might be able to get a friend to have a sharing condition put on both your licenses, then your fr can keep it and you can still use it 

27 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

You might be able to get a friend to have a sharing condition put on both your licenses, then your fr can keep it and you can still use it 

👍said friend needs calibre on their ticket to be able to share. And of course an empty slot. 

On 19/03/2023 at 08:21, shawn9914 said:

My house is going on the market this week and at this time we do not have a property to go to if it sells. 

We are possibly going to live in our motorhome for a few months so we are in a betrer position as cash buyers once ours sells. 

My question is where will i keep my rifle, it could be upto 6 months in my motorhome. 

Would my local gun shop store it for me or could i put it in a friends cabinet with his shotguns. 

Has anyone on here had this issue and what did you do. 

Thanks

hi shawn you are confusing me with this post as you state in your previous posts that you surrendered your fac 12 months ago to lack of use and you are now reapplying for a fac. is it a shotgun you want someone to look after

1 hour ago, ant1 said:

hi shawn you are confusing me with this post as you state in your previous posts that you surrendered your fac 12 months ago to lack of use and you are now reapplying for a fac. is it a shotgun you want someone to look after

Hi

No it will be my FAC once I get it back if we cant find a property to go straight into, still got my shotgun cert, sorry for the confusion 

1 hour ago, shawn9914 said:

Hi

No it will be my FAC once I get it back if we cant find a property to go straight into, still got my shotgun cert, sorry for the confusion 

ok confusion over. could you not hold off purchasing a fac rifle until you get your property.

2 minutes ago, ant1 said:

ok confusion over. could you not hold off purchasing a fac rifle until you get your property.

I could but trouble is I'm not sure how long that will be as i am selling 2 properties and combining the money into one to buy a new house 

3 minutes ago, ant1 said:

On 19/03/2023 at 08:21, shawn9914 said:

ALL in the ORIGINAL post!   :cool1:

On 19/03/2023 at 08:36, Centrepin said:

Rifle, RFDs unless your mate has a slot for it. My local charges £10 per week, I know that as I enquired for an ill friend, thursday just gone.

Might be cheaper to sell and buy again.

My mate charges £5 a week so shop around

2 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Yeah, it's ridiculous, he's also charging £60 RFD to RFD now and £50 per gun admin fee for every gun handed in for disposal. 

No wonder he's loosing customers hand over fist.

It's a very difficult time for RFDs. I wouldnt be too harsh on him. I believe a lot of RFDs are charging to take guns off your hands.