Welsh Gov Consultation on Driven Game Shooting

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have submitted a response along the lines BASC suggest. Interesting to note that the consultation namechecks GWCT. Looking at the relevant page on the GWCT Web page regarding the release of gamebirds, they state that their research and advice is often ignored as it doesn't suit the agenda. Is it futile to hope they are listened to in this instance?

Thanks all for taking the time to complete the survey to say no to the proposals.

For those reading this for the first time the survey takes two minutes to complete - just write your name and SAY NO to the various questions.

CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE SURVEY

Call to action from BASC CEO Ian Bell here:

31 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

@Conor O'Gorman do BASC have a premade jpg / list of hashtags / copy and paste message, etc that those of us with instagram and the like can use to get the message out?

Yes, great suggestion and we have that planned and also various plans for shows and events ahead. It's a 12-week consultation and today is day 1 and you will hear a lot more from BASC and other shooting organisations everywhere online and offline between now and 20 June. Thanks for your support.

3 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Yes, great suggestion and we have that planned and also various plans for shows and events ahead. It's a 12-week consultation and today is day 1 and you will hear a lot more from BASC and other shooting organisations everywhere online and offline between now and 20 June. Thanks for your support.

👍

2 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Do you plan to expand on your consultation response guidance? I appreciate that the consultation questions are complete dog **** but it would be pretty easy for NRW to disregard 120,000 blanket 'No' answers as spoiled responses and only take on board the responses they want to see.

They can't dismiss comprehensive and fact based answers regardless if a lot of them are almost identical.

3 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Do you plan to expand on your consultation response guidance? I appreciate that the consultation questions are complete dog **** but it would be pretty easy for NRW to disregard 120,000 blanket 'No' answers as spoiled responses and only take on board the responses they want to see.

They can't dismiss comprehensive and fact based answers regardless if a lot of them are almost identical.

Thanks. We will but the key thing is numbers based on prior experience in Wales. They expect apathy from our side and they will likely publish percentages for/against each question as a key part of justification. The detail may not matter and how will they analyse open data from thousands of responses? There is no format to it. The survey can be filled in by anyone anywhere and not even an email address required. However, there will be other ways to engage than their survey and we are working on that. Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming. We have 12 weeks to make our voice heard.

26 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thanks. We will but the key thing is numbers based on prior experience in Wales. They expect apathy from our side and they will likely publish percentages for/against each question as a key part of justification. The detail may not matter and how will they analyse open data from thousands of responses? There is no format to it. The survey can be filled in by anyone anywhere and not even an email address required. However, there will be other ways to engage than their survey and we are working on that. Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming. We have 12 weeks to make our voice heard.

Thanks Conor.

The consultation is sketchy at best and open to abuse.

I'm not too clued up on these things but I'd have thought a bot could be created to submit hundreds of thousands of responses. I've no doubt that BASC will highlight this when in discussion with NRW.

18 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

This too was my concern - having been involved in planning applications - numbers never mattered as much as reasoning 

I do however have complete faith in Conor and an avalanche of responses will surely make NRW take note

I did expand on my answers as i submitted almost immediately and i do wonder if the questions are made to simply make people feel baffled / under pressure and turn off !

This time - we wont !

done and couldn't agree more as a community we need to really give this our best. not just sit around and bleat.

I was a little apprehensive of giving my full opinions in the answers in case it gave them food for thought on how to fight back.  

Edited by Mr gen

31 minutes ago, jall25 said:

This too was my concern - having been involved in planning applications - numbers never mattered as much as reasoning 

I do however have complete faith in Conor and an avalanche of responses will surely make NRW take note

I did expand on my answers as i submitted almost immediately and i do wonder if the questions are made to simply make people feel baffled / under pressure and turn off !

This time - we wont !

Yes agreed - reasoning important. 

4 hours ago, Fellside said:

Yes agreed - reasoning important. 

Considering that you only need to supply a name then you could submit a response today in line with the  current BASC guidance and when some more reasonable and informed guidance is issued you could submit a second response.

@Conor O'Gorman

Have BASC considered working alongside CPSA and other sporting organisations to spread the word on this?

When discussing the topic of BASC reaching the relevant audiences with this sort of thing I did pose this question to Steve Griffiths at a talk and Q&A he did back last year but didn't really get a response. The talk was otherwise great and well informed.

CPSA, WCTSA, SCA etc must have tens of thousands of members between them who should be sympathetic to the cause given that clay shooting will eventually be on the radar when the shooting of live animals is outlawed.  Some will also be BASC members but I'd wager a large percentage aren't.

On 27/03/2023 at 21:56, Poor Shot said:

Thanks Conor.

The consultation is sketchy at best and open to abuse.

I'm not too clued up on these things but I'd have thought a bot could be created to submit hundreds of thousands of responses. I've no doubt that BASC will highlight this when in discussion with NRW.

100% a bit could and probably will be used by the anti mob. They seem to be well equipped when it comes to the tech side of things. 

@Conor O'Gorman Will basc be talking with any media sources to try and make it clear the benefits of game shooting, the active management of predators that allow red listed species the chance to recover etc

22 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Considering that you only need to supply a name then you could submit a response today in line with the  current BASC guidance and when some more reasonable and informed guidance is issued you could submit a second response.

@Conor O'Gorman

Have BASC considered working alongside CPSA and other sporting organisations to spread the word on this?

When discussing the topic of BASC reaching the relevant audiences with this sort of thing I did pose this question to Steve Griffiths at a talk and Q&A he did back last year but didn't really get a response. The talk was otherwise great and well informed.

CPSA, WCTSA, SCA etc must have tens of thousands of members between them who should be sympathetic to the cause given that clay shooting will eventually be on the radar when the shooting of live animals is outlawed.  Some will also be BASC members but I'd wager a large percentage aren't.

Currently the organisations spreading the word are BASC, CA, GWCT and NGO. We are encouraging more organisations to get involved and if you or other PW members are a member of any other organisations do ask them to join the fight.

Edited by Conor O'Gorman