Servicing watches ?.

samboy

As an inquisitive 8 year old, I raided my dad's toolbox and disassembled my late grandad's pocket watch.

Unfortunately YouTube was not available in those days.

Dad wasn't happy

Edited by amateur

How many actual mechanical  timepieces are in use nowadays.?  Either they are smart devices and the rest are battery or solar powered.  I haven't seen wind up  watches for a long time.  Another angle is that most people don't carry a watch at all..  they flip out the phone.  Another angle of this is that there are a lot of people who can't read the time off of an analogue watch.

Edited by Minky

1 hour ago, Minky said:

How many actual mechanical  timepieces are in use nowadays.?  Either they are smart devices and the rest are battery or solar powered.  I haven't seen wind up  watches for a long time.  Another angle is that most people don't carry a watch at all..  they flip out the phone.  Another angle of this is that there are a lot of people who can't read the time off of an analogue watch.

You can buy mechanical watches everywhere, i prefer them, and have just adjusted two of mine a couple of weeks ago by demagnaising them and then adjusting them, they now run at -1 to +3 seconds a day.

The centre two are mechanical, the reading was from the green one.

beat error.jpg

watches.jpg

But how representative of time reading devices are you.  I wouldn't have thought about people not being able to tell the time from analog time pieces until a lecturer friend found that the vast majority of his students could only use digital time because of the use of phones and computers where there are no hands.  These particular students had no knowledge of hour and minute hands or where the hands were placed in regard to quarter past or half past or quarter to an hour.  Even on tv they just say ... the six o'clock news etc.

1 hour ago, Minky said:

But how representative of time reading devices are you.  I wouldn't have thought about people not being able to tell the time from analog time pieces until a lecturer friend found that the vast majority of his students could only use digital time because of the use of phones and computers where there are no hands.  These particular students had no knowledge of hour and minute hands or where the hands were placed in regard to quarter past or half past or quarter to an hour.  Even on tv they just say ... the six o'clock news etc.

That must surely be down to parental laziness, my graddaughters 7 and 4 both know how to tell the time from a clock face (the 4 yr old is a work in progress lol), although it doesn't stop my eldest GD from waking up a between 3-and 5 every morning.

I still use a mechanical/automatic watch

Inertia from wrist keeps it wound.

Will run for 3 days if left unworn

But it lives in a watch winder when I get back in the house.

Cant wear a watch indoors at home or at work.

just a thing with me 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Tag is currently stopped, still works but the other one was a present to myself after a crap year

:shaun:

113C2140-64BB-4792-99C6-1AE7BFC8BA0D.jpeg

1 hour ago, shaun4860 said:

The Tag is currently stopped, still works but the other one was a present to myself after a crap year

Not a Tag fan, my brother dropped a small fortune for one at Dhubi airport, it stopped working and getting it serviced is the cost of a kidney transplant.
I do like the Tudor though, understated but just right.

9 hours ago, Minky said:

Do you live under a rock?

56 minutes ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Do you live under a rock?

No,  clearly you live in a past era.  I grew up when there were only wind up watches but for about the past 50 years digital watches have been out there.  Mobile phone became common 30 years ago .  If you ask nearly anyone under the age of 40 generally they dont look at a watch.  They flip out their mobile  phone.  I know that there are winders still out there but not so common.   I do tend to use my wrist watches. One is a battery powered analogue and the other is an eco drive solar powered jobby.  No wiñding, no battery, tottaly acurate to the second.

6 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Not a Tag fan, my brother dropped a small fortune for one at Dhubi airport, it stopped working and getting it serviced is the cost of a kidney transplant.
I do like the Tudor though, understated but just right.

I bought the Tag back in 2003 because I always wanted a white faced Tag.

Let me down once and someone on here put me onto somebody who fixed them as a hobby.

Fixed it at a VERY reasonable price.

I bought the Tudor last year.

Tudor Black Bay 58 as they come with a case size of 39mm which I find just right.

I fancied the Tudor Pelagos but at the time only came in a 41mm case.

They now do the Pelagos 39.

which as described is a 39mm case.

Fancied a watch without the date facility for a change.

Think I will be a Tudor fan for a long time now.

9 hours ago, welsh1 said:

You can buy mechanical watches everywhere, i prefer them, and have just adjusted two of mine a couple of weeks ago by demagnaising them and then adjusting them, they now run at -1 to +3 seconds a day.

The centre two are mechanical, the reading was from the green one.

beat error.jpg

watches.jpg

I have the Seiko SKX007 diver, one of my favourite everyday/every activity watches. Has snorkelled all around the world with me and hasn’t missed a beat. Mine is on a jubilee and one of my faves.

As for comments about mechanical watches being a thing of the past… I am a web developer, pretty techy, a home automation geek, Apple products coming out of my ears and gadgets all over the house. I would NEVER consider a smart watch. I have seventeen watches, all mechanical and all perfect (to me) for various reasons. The craftsmanship that goes into a mechanical watch is breathtaking.

I have maybe 50 to 60 watches, most of them being Japanese and mainly automatics. I feel weird without wearing a watch but like someone said earlier comes off when I get in the house or when working in the office.

I do believe some watches are a thing of beauty. My favourites in my collection are my pogue, bull head and bottle top. 

I do have a couple of Swiss watches too.

I’ve not gone into the smart watch thing. I can’t get on with them. Feel too light on my wrist.

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

mine is accurate to about 30 secs/day..........built circa 1910

very tactile....and not a lot of money...

P1000690fob.JPG

P1000687fob.JPG

Love a pocket watch, the first watch I ever owned as a kid was a plastic pocket watch with an astronaut on the face, there is something about opening it up to see the time and the workmanship put into them.

That looks great.

23 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

The Tag is currently stopped, still works but the other one was a present to myself after a **** year

Love the Black bay, I have a small collection of Omegas a Planet Ocean, Seamaster Bumble bee and a 1969 gold Seamaster and a Rolex Submariner. I think my next purchase will be a Black Bay. 

22 hours ago, ditchman said:

mine is accurate to about 30 secs/day..........built circa 1910

very tactile....and not a lot of money...

P1000690fob.JPG

P1000687fob.JPG

I also have pocket watch.

Was presented to my great grandfather by the people and council for his service in WW1

Have also got a silver rose bowl presented by the same

I think all the miners that came home from here got one.

The watch doesn’t work and try as I might I can’t get anyone to fix it, last bloke who looked said it has corroding on some of the workings so would never keep good time.

I think it’s overwound and not really bothered about it being accurate, just would like to see it working again.

That not a dent in the middle photo, it’s a reflection and like Ditchies the engraved part opens as well to show the workings

7D12D94E-C37D-43E7-82D5-C4EA0AA2037C.jpeg

6809C0DA-415D-45B7-8437-BEA92A39341B.png

D59383B1-DBC7-4630-B177-379A11CAFDEF.png

On 01/04/2023 at 09:56, welsh1 said:

Love a pocket watch, the first watch I ever owned as a kid was a plastic pocket watch with an astronaut on the face, there is something about opening it up to see the time and the workmanship put into them.

That looks great.

Was that  "Dan Dare" watch with Digby and the Mekon on it?

I was given one on my 4th birthday.

I had asked for a watch a few weeks earlier, but was told by my dad that I could only have one when I could tell the time. I looked at the kitchen clock and said " Ten past nine". "Alright, but you'll have to wait for your birthday"

It was stolen from me a couple of years later by a lad up the street. He denied it and was believed, but, at least, I did subsequently get a Timex wrist watch.

3 hours ago, amateur said:

Was that  "Dan Dare" watch with Digby and the Mekon on it?

I was given one on my 4th birthday.

I had asked for a watch a few weeks earlier, but was told by my dad that I could only have one when I could tell the time. I looked at the kitchen clock and said " Ten past nine". "Alright, but you'll have to wait for your birthday"

It was stolen from me a couple of years later by a lad up the street. He denied it and was believed, but, at least, I did subsequently get a Timex wrist watch.

No it was grey plastic, and had a picture of a proper astronaught on the face, funnily enough my next watch was a timex, which i believe my Mum still has tucked away somewhere.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

My granddads verge fusee hunter pocket watch, London 1838 and makers initials JM, to me these old pocket watches were things of beauty.

watch2.jpg.504cdb47bdaaf2c41d649e945c3f1177.jpg

watch1.jpg.09c6c0adddb40750ab28217ea981fbe0.jpg

That's a thing of beauty.