Spring Run on the cod

Rim Fire

Looks and sounds like a great trip 😃 Been a fresh water angler most of my life and always fancied the odd venture out like this, but,,,, I'd be hanging over the side most of the time calling out for HUWWEEEEE !!! 🤮🤭😂

Are those fish sold on, or prepped for F&F ?

8 minutes ago, JKD said:

Looks and sounds like a great trip 😃 Been a fresh water angler most of my life and always fancied the odd venture out like this, but,,,, I'd be hanging over the side most of the time calling out for HUWWEEEEE !!! 🤮🤭😂

Are those fish sold on, or prepped for F&F ?

They are in my freezer cod and 🍟 

Oh, that takes me back to when I used to fish off Ramsgate and Herne Bay in my younger days. Plenty of fish around then. We didn`t used to get the run of cod until September but thornbacks all during the summer. Also in the summer over the Pan Sands off Herne Bay, we used to watch for the gulls working the whitebait driven to the surface by school bass. This was when we motored uptide and drifted through the bass with a light spinning rod which was brilliant sport. If I recall the size then was 14 inches and above. Not sure what size and numbers are allowed these days for the amateur angler. Someone no doubt will enlighten me without me asking Mr.Google.

Thanks for sharing Rim Fire and reminding me of my younger fishing days afloat which must have been 50 odd years ago. 

Photo of one of our catches and also my mate Ted (with pipe) and me when I had hair. That was our old ships open lifeboat that we bought from the ferry company and converted to a fishing boat. Larch on oak clinker built. Happy days.

Note home made rods and centrepin reels.

OB

Results of our labours 1.jpg

Ramsgate Sept 1971.jpg

Edited by Old Boggy

31 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Oh, that takes me back to when I used to fish off Ramsgate and Herne Bay in my younger days. Plenty of fish around then. We didn`t used to get the run of cod until September but thornbacks all during the summer. Also in the summer over the Pan Sands off Herne Bay, we used to watch for the gulls working the whitebait driven to the surface by school bass. This was when we motored uptide and drifted through the bass with a light spinning rod which was brilliant sport. If I recall the size then was 14 inches and above. Not sure what size and numbers are allowed these days for the amateur angler. Someone no doubt will enlighten me without me asking Mr.Google.

Thanks for sharing Rim Fire and reminding me of my younger fishing days afloat which must have been 50 odd years ago. 

Photo of one of our catches and also my mate Ted (with pipe) and me when I had hair. That was our old ships open lifeboat that we bought from the ferry company and converted to a fishing boat. Larch on oak clinker built. Happy days.

OB

Ramsgate Sept 1971.jpg

Great pics obviously  left youwith  great memories of that day 👍 

When l seen the title was hoping it was a shore report not a term you hear much nowadays spring run cod still a nice day's sport👍

4 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

Ramsgate Sept 1971.jpg

Bass size limit nowadays is 42cm or 16.5 inches in old money 👍

19 minutes ago, Anthony 666 said:

Bass size limit nowadays is 42cm or 16.5 inches in old money 👍

Thanks for that. Is there a limit on numbers that can be taken by rod and line?

At one stage not so long ago it was two, which made an absolute mockery of bass taken by commercial fishing.

OB

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Thanks for that. Is there a limit on numbers that can be taken by rod and line?

At one stage not so long ago it was two, which made an absolute mockery of bass taken by commercial fishing.

OB

Still 2 fish per day but they change it couple of years ago could only take 1 per day as you say bit of a joke the recreational anglers always have to pay a bigger price they need someone to point the finger at 

On 30/04/2023 at 20:36, Old farrier said:

It’s two here and luckily I managed to get my quota 

IMG_6434.png

Lovely OF.

But why do restaurants refer to bass as `Sea Bass`? That does annoy me, they are bass. We don`t refer to cod as sea cod or sea plaice.

I can understand sea bream but not bloody bass.

Rant over.

OB

49 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Lovely OF.

But why do restaurants refer to bass as `Sea Bass`? That does annoy me, they are bass. We don`t refer to cod as sea cod or sea plaice.

I can understand sea bream but not bloody bass.

Rant over.

OB

I think because there is fresh water bass as well  Bass is my favorite fishing with bait or lures 

22 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Never said there was but that is why they say Sea Bass because America has a fresh water Bass probably where the saying comes from 

In that case why in Britain do these restaurants/chefs call it sea bass? It`s just BASS !!