Shirts For A Tummy

wymberley

I got the weight off the first time I had to revert to the steroids, but with the arthritis treatment making a mess of my lungs before I came off it. and the pain in knees, hip and back, I'm having trouble this time. I don't need  'big man' shirts because they'll be like a tent. I've looked and got nowhere, so does anyone happen to know if there's such a thing as a 'standard' shirt except for some extra room at the waist/midriff, please? The 'classic' in the 'classic, slim, extra slim' common or garden range just doesn't cut it.

1 minute ago, wymberley said:

I got the weight off the first time I had to revert to the steroids, but with the arthritis treatment making a mess of my lungs before I came off it. and the pain in knees, hip and back, I'm having trouble this time. I don't need  'big man' shirts because they'll be like a tent. I've looked and got nowhere, so does anyone happen to know if there's such a thing as a 'standard' shirt except for some extra room at the waist/midriff, please? The 'classic' in the 'classic, slim, extra slim' common or garden range just doesn't cut it.

The decathlon ones fit true to size but still have enough length and girth.not expensive and wash great too.i have three and they also need very little ironing

No, ‘tailored’ designs are ok for youngsters but not for us who are getting in a bit. 
A gentlemen’s outfitter or your local agricultural merchant cater for all sizes, at least around here anyhow. 
Failing that, try out your local charity shops; many a bargain to be had. 

On 14/05/2023 at 10:22, wymberley said:

Can I ask what was the arthritis treatment that coursed the problem please ?

25 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

Can I ask what was the arthritis treatment that coursed the problem please ?

Not straightforward.

I started off with Hydroxychloroquine which resulted in an all over red rash - a sort of mobile Belisha Beacon. While the medics had a rethink I was put on steroids which caused the weight gain. Treatment then continued with Sulfasalazine. With exercise and diet I got shot of the extra 3 stone. This treatment also caught me out though and tried to stop me breathing leaving me with rheumatoid associated interstitial lung disease.  Back on steroids and another 3 stone. Then put on Azathiroprine. This did work but (for me) it has one nasty side effect. At this point it all went pear shaped. The mild Aortic Valve Stenosis stopped being mild and I eventually ended up having a TAVI. Then, just to rub it in, the 'back' and 'knees' which I've had all my adult life got worse and was joined by one hip. Consequently, meaningful exercise is not on the cards although I do try. With my consultant's approval I've paused the Azathiroprine as the impression is is that the arthritis is in remission and am feeling better for it. I'm waiting for some intensive breathing therapy with the physio guys so hopefully I may be able to increase the exercise. 

wymberley, Really sad to hear of your health problems, unfortunately we are now of an age where we like our fashions and styles but they no longer make them in man-sizes.  Try Jacquamo, their stuff is really good.  Another option may be to contact Rydale clothing and explain what you need and see if they can come up with shirts to suit?

All the best both with the health and the shirts mate.:good:

Pushkin.

18 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

wymberley, Really sad to hear of your health problems, unfortunately we are now of an age where we like our fashions and styles but they no longer make them in man-sizes.  Try Jacquamo, their stuff is really good.  Another option may be to contact Rydale clothing and explain what you need and see if they can come up with shirts to suit?

All the best both with the health and the shirts mate.:good:

Pushkin.

Many thanks, will try.

Walking along Exmouth Esplanade (there's lots of seats for a 'breather') it's patently obvious that I'm not the only one with a 'spread' and I can't understand the lack of choice as there just has to be a demand.

8 hours ago, wymberley said:

Not straightforward.

I started off with Hydroxychloroquine which resulted in an all over red rash - a sort of mobile Belisha Beacon. While the medics had a rethink I was put on steroids which caused the weight gain. Treatment then continued with Sulfasalazine. With exercise and diet I got shot of the extra 3 stone. This treatment also caught me out though and tried to stop me breathing leaving me with rheumatoid associated interstitial lung disease.  Back on steroids and another 3 stone. Then put on Azathiroprine. This did work but (for me) it has one nasty side effect. At this point it all went pear shaped. The mild Aortic Valve Stenosis stopped being mild and I eventually ended up having a TAVI. Then, just to rub it in, the 'back' and 'knees' which I've had all my adult life got worse and was joined by one hip. Consequently, meaningful exercise is not on the cards although I do try. With my consultant's approval I've paused the Azathiroprine as the impression is is that the arthritis is in remission and am feeling better for it. I'm waiting for some intensive breathing therapy with the physio guys so hopefully I may be able to increase the exercise. 

Thank you for the reply and I do hope you continue to get better , all the best to you in the futter .