EBay refunds

Fargo

Basically I purchased an item for £750.

When received it wasn’t as described so asked to send back for refund.

The seller has said send it back but they can’t refund me as have no money till they can resell it. 

What will eBay do? Guess they can’t get the money from the person of they don’t have money in their bank account .

Edited by Fargo

I had similar never received the goods it took weeks to get refunded.

Did you pay through paypal if so phone them straight away. 

Also ebay need to be informed asap as there's a time limit on refunds. 

If a credit card the same applies. 

22 minutes ago, mellors said:

I had similar never received the goods it took weeks to get refunded.

Did you pay through paypal if so phone them straight away. 

Also ebay need to be informed asap as there's a time limit on refunds. 

If a credit card the same applies. 

No I paid through debit card via eBay app.

Dont have a credit card or PayPal.

Ebay have said they’ll step in but not sure what that means if one party doesn’t have a coin to refund it.

3 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Ebay have said they’ll step in but not sure what that means if one party doesn’t have a coin to refund it.

Ebay should refund then that's what it says on there buyer protection. 

No point trying a charge back unless the seller is not telling the truth. 

Its an awkward situation with any debit card transaction. 

You'll have to wait and see now. 🤞

I agree with others. EBays new way of selling stuff means they hold onto your money for a certain amount of time once something is sold incase this happens. Definitely get eBay involved. That’s a lot of money to loose waiting for someone else to buy an item that’s not as described. 

4 hours ago, Fargo said:

Open a PayPal account now for future purchases would be my advice. I use it for more than ebay.

6 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

contact ebay first do not send the item back unless ebay tells you to as they may ask for it to be sent to them if the seller has no money in their paypal or bank account

This. Always. As eBay will pay you and then they will claw back the money from the seller AND I'd forward the seller's request about returning the item to resell. In fact I'd call eBay and speak on the telephone. You do sometimes get agents here in the UK now.

6 hours ago, Fargo said:

You can ask for a charge back from your bank, I think you have 120 days but not 100% sure.

As soon as you open a case against the seller there transaction is reversed and eBay hold the money until it’s sorted, at least that’s what has happened to me in the past and it’s in there sign up terms that they can raid your bank account for whatever it wants so I set up a new account with limited funds in to make sure if there was ever a hacking they could not rinse me for all my pennies 

3 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

As soon as you open a case against the seller there transaction is reversed and eBay hold the money until it’s sorted, at least that’s what has happened to me in the past and it’s in there sign up terms that they can raid your bank account for whatever it wants so I set up a new account with limited funds in to make sure if there was ever a hacking they could not rinse me for all my pennies 

That’s the main reason why I hold off from ever selling anything on there now. EBay accounts get hacked all the time, I’d rather bin stuff before flogging it on there. 

On the purchase history there is contact seller option against the purchase item.

If you select item not as described and send a message this notifies ebay there is a problem.

Once you activate this ebay gives the seller so many days to respond.It also means ebay has a access to any communication between you and the seller. They will step in and help sort it if you can't resolve it with the seller.

Another option is also at the very top of the purchase history page on the left hand side is a help and contact page. Once you tap that further instructions come up, but the contact seller page is your best option initially.

20230520_092335.jpg

Edited by loriusgarrulus

On 18/05/2023 at 10:51, Fargo said:

Basically I purchased an item for £750.

When received it wasn’t as described so asked to send back for refund.

The seller has said send it back but they can’t refund me as have no money till they can resell it. 

What will eBay do? Guess they can’t get the money from the person of they don’t have money in their bank account .

How long ago has transaction taken place because that would appear that he has already had the money and  blown it.!

On 19/05/2023 at 10:57, rovercoupe said:

Open door to a bank a/c

1 hour ago, Minky said:

How long ago has transaction taken place because that would appear that he has already had the money and  blown it.!

Open door to a bank a/c

Paid on a Monday and received item Wednesday and asked for refund Thursday and he said money was already spent.

40 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

It’s not your problem that the seller has already blown the cash you’ve sent them. Open the case and go from there. A legitimate business should be able to accept the return and refund the money regardless of them spending it. 

Private person sadly 

Just had a look on my account and last sold something on Sunday and the money had been transferred and in my account by Monday eve so it looks like it goes out quite quickly these days. 
it might be a struggle but eBay should have to refund you even if they have to pay out of there own pockets and then chase the seller for the money, I have never had to do this for this amount of money but it it’s been sent back they should refund you once you open a case. My advice would be to get on the chat function and just keep pushing them until they do it.

58 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Just had a look on my account and last sold something on Sunday and the money had been transferred and in my account by Monday eve so it looks like it goes out quite quickly these days. 
it might be a struggle but eBay should have to refund you even if they have to pay out of there own pockets and then chase the seller for the money, I have never had to do this for this amount of money but it it’s been sent back they should refund you once you open a case. My advice would be to get on the chat function and just keep pushing them until they do it.

I agree with what you are saying , I sell a few items on Ebay and I always post within a day of the buyer paying and this might be part of the reason they send the payment more or less straight away and there have been times where the item have been paid for on a Saturday afternoon and the funds are in my bank account before I have posted it on the Monday morning .

I have never been in the situation of the op's problem as most of my stuff I buy or sell is below £50 so if something like the op's situation happened it would be annoying but not a major concern, mind you , I accept that buying and selling on Ebay is like a mine field and not everyone can be trusted , just recently I sold a game bag that was in decent condition and had only been used for dog training , I listed it at £20 and £3.50 postage , I had a lot of interest and a couple of bids , then some chap offered me £27.00 so I accepted the offer , the chap lived in Ireland so he had to pay a fair bit through Global Shipping , this would had made it around £40.00 , in my mind it was more than it was worth , still he made the offer , I boxed it up carefully so it wasn't creased and posted it , after about ten days he received it and got back to me to say it wasn't as discribed as I listed it in very good condition and he said it was torn inside which I know it wasn't , I offered him a full refund but only the posted cost it was listed at and not what he paid to the G S P , he said he would be well out of pocket and would keep it if I offered a part refund of £15.00 , as I would be left slightly still in pocket I agreed , I sent him the part refund and never heard another word from him , I knew there was nothing wrong with the game bag but I am far to old for a load of hazzle so I paid up , moved on and forgot about it .   MM