I walked out of the fish and chip shop.

Nublue 22

15 hours ago, Nublue 22 said:

Took the wife out (once a month) a few pints and a call in to the chip shop, haven't had chips for age's, anyway part of the conversation at the pub  was the price of things coming down, eg fuel, wood at BQ. A lenthe of 3/2 before covid was £1.99 at the height £5.99,any way, it was £3.15 on Thursday. So we both agreed some things are coming down, well standing in the queue at the chippy I saw a small chips was, wait for it, £2.75, she wanted fish and chips, how much was that? I walked out and we had marmite on toast. I know it's not the most exciting night we've ever had, but can a small chips really be £2.75? Oh I noticed on the way out forks are 10p really. Enjoy. 

10 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I don't know, how much was it?

How much did you expect it to be?

What is your chip portion pain threshold? How does that compare to the cost of the pints you'd sunk?

"Treating" the wife would've still likely cost you less than the cost of 2 boxes of cartridges....just sayin'

you beat me to it.

" Took the wife out (once a month) a few pints and a call in to the chip shop".  If I told the Mrs that it was her monthly treat, I'd be looking over my shoulder for a flying beer bottle or a clout round the head with a frying pan.  The heavy cast iron jobby.  You moan about the price of the chips but no mention about the cost of the pints of beer.

2 hours ago, Minky said:

you beat me to it.

" Took the wife out (once a month) a few pints and a call in to the chip shop".  If I told the Mrs that it was her monthly treat, I'd be looking over my shoulder for a flying beer bottle or a clout round the head with a frying pan.  The heavy cast iron jobby.  You moan about the price of the chips but no mention about the cost of the pints of beer.

A pint of Abbots is four quid in our local. 

2 hours ago, Minky said:

you beat me to it.

Either:

A) You haven’t trained her properly. 
B) Stop letting her wear your trousers. 
C) You married the wrong woman.

Edited by London Best

More important than price we need to consider if this is a council estate chippy or a posh ****** chippy. 

The council estate chippy nearby I can usually get a kids chips and it’s enough for a full dinner plate for me and the wife alongside something else. 

The posh chippy my mate told us we have to try just a few miles up the road where the housing is double the cost a adult portion is about 1/2 the size of the above kids one!! 🤣🤣

Had 2 x small (plenty big enough) haddock and chips from the Brilliant f & c shop in Caister yesterday afternoon - £16 and well worth every penny as both the batter and the chips were piping hot and crispy as - a good job as the wind was lazy to say the least. The chips this time of year will be earlies as there will be few, if any, English chipping spud main crop varieties left from storage. Earlies are always more expensive.

5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I don't know, how much was it?

How much did you expect it to be?

What is your chip portion pain threshold? How does that compare to the cost of the pints you'd sunk?

"Treating" the wife would've still likely cost you less than the cost of 2 boxes of cartridges....just sayin'

😂 I was incredulous when I read the OP’s initial post! He certainly knows how to treat a woman; she must think she’s living the dream! 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The council estate chippy nearby I can usually get a kids chips and it’s enough for a full dinner plate for me and the wife alongside something else. 

But you have to factor in the cost of a new set of alloy wheels if you park near a council estate chippy!

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

Had 2 x small (plenty big enough) haddock and chips from the Brilliant f & c shop in Caister yesterday afternoon - £16 and well worth every penny as both the batter and the chips were piping hot and crispy as - a good job as the wind was lazy to say the least. The chips this time of year will be earlies as there will be few, if any, English chipping spud main crop varieties left from storage. Earlies are always more expensive.

I got a small portion of chips off one of the market stalls the other day and believe it not they were only a £1.00 , in a tray with as much salt and vinigar as required and they were lovely .

P S   Haven't tried the one at Caister , in Yarmouth there are few that are worth writing home about , our local good one is next door to Morrisons at Bradwell .

We would get a carryout twice a week cut that back now to when the kids visit that night can be £50 6 meals and a kids meal . I used to get a king kebab meal from Aldis , lidil picked one up yesterday put it back £6.99 . We try to go out for a drive and do lunch if its a good day and we have nought on dont worry about the price your a long time dead