I walked out of the fish and chip shop.

Nublue 22

Took the wife out (once a month) a few pints and a call in to the chip shop, haven't had chips for age's, anyway part of the conversation at the pub  was the price of things coming down, eg fuel, wood at BQ. A lenthe of 3/2 before covid was £1.99 at the height £5.99,any way, it was £3.15 on Thursday. So we both agreed some things are coming down, well standing in the queue at the chippy I saw a small chips was, wait for it, £2.75, she wanted fish and chips, how much was that? I walked out and we had marmite on toast. I know it's not the most exciting night we've ever had, but can a small chips really be £2.75? Oh I noticed on the way out forks are 10p really. Enjoy. 

Edited by Nublue 22
Missed somthing

Still one of the cheapest takeaways by a long shot. 

Costs of everything gone through the roof and people seriously think £2.75 for a bag of chips is robbery? 😬

Praying you don’t have to order a Chinese or Indian anytime soon 🤪

That's pennies.   The other day the Mrs & I went for the day to Canterbury for a mooch round during the day and to see Johannas Radibee (strictly come dancing) in concert. ( fantastic show)  lunch was in pizza hut.  2x pizzas and 2 cups of tea. ....... £35  walking along the high street there were shops selling cake.  A small piece of cake about two and a half inches long,  an inch wide and about an inch and a half high...... £5.  Cups of tea £3.75... and I  mean a cup.... not a mug.  If you operated there all the time you'd need about £400 to feed your self + Mrs.  Parking costs sky high.  I don't know if it's greed / trying to make up losses during covid or true cost but all hospitality will collapse when the weather gets colder.  This is indicated by road traffic passing by my house.  There are two main bands of traffic.  Work/school..... school / coming home.  After about six thirty the road traffic drops to not a lot and you can drive for miles and miles without seeing any other cars.

Edited by Minky

6 hours ago, Minky said:

That's pennies.   The other day the Mrs & I went for the day to Canterbury for a mooch round during the day and to see Johannas Radibee (strictly come dancing) in concert. ( fantastic show)  lunch was in pizza hut.  2x pizzas and 2 cups of tea. ....... £35  walking along the high street there were shops selling cake.  A small piece of cake about two and a half inches long,  an inch wide and about an inch and a half high...... £5.  Cups of tea £3.75... and I  mean a cup.... not a mug.  If you operated there all the time you'd need about £400 to feed your self + Mrs.  Parking costs sky high.  I don't know if it's greed / trying to make up losses during covid or true cost but all hospitality will collapse when the weather gets colder.  This is indicated by road traffic passing by my house.  There are two main bands of traffic.  Work/school..... school / coming home.  After about six thirty the road traffic drops to not a lot and you can drive for miles and miles without seeing any other cars.

Hi Minky,

Living 7 miles from Canterbury, I try to avoid it like the plague. I don`t think I`ve been into the town for the last 4 years. Oops, I tell a lie, we went to see Les Miserables at the Marlowe last year but parked nearby and didn`t venture into the city. Our favourite musical and we weren`t disappointed it was great.

I understand that Woolworths, David Greig`s and Timothy Whites & Taylors are no longer in Canterbury :yahoo:

OB 

4 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Mini fish, chips and mushy peas is £6 at our village chippy. Its more than I can eat. 

Our village chippy is the same. We have a small cod, small chips between the two of us and have to throw half the chips away but that`s after eating a free small bag of chips given while we wait as everything is cooked fresh.

OB

17 hours ago, Nublue 22 said:

Took the wife out (once a month) a few pints and a call in to the chip shop, haven't had chips for age's, anyway part of the conversation at the pub  was the price of things coming down, eg fuel, wood at BQ. A lenthe of 3/2 before covid was £1.99 at the height £5.99,any way, it was £3.15 on Thursday. So we both agreed some things are coming down, well standing in the queue at the chippy I saw a small chips was, wait for it, £2.75, she wanted fish and chips, how much was that? I walked out and we had marmite on toast. I know it's not the most exciting night we've ever had, but can a small chips really be £2.75? Oh I noticed on the way out forks are 10p really. Enjoy. 

One of the Fish & Chip shops at our local coastal resort (Porthcawl) is charging £2:80 for a small bag of chips, and their pies (small) mince beef, steak & kidney and chicken & mushroom are £3:15 each! You do get a FREE wooden fork though!

Edited by steve_b_wales

Maaasive price fluctuations round here - The local chippy (which was run by a chinese family, but during covid was taken over by a Greek Cypriot family) is in the £1.50 small cone - £2.50 standard chips - £2.70 large chips.

I know my son has a Large Chips (his mum and I have a couple each from that), 2 large sausage and a small sausage for the dog is £7.50

There was a chippy in Connahs Quay when I was dropping my other lad of for work I would grab his tea from there - £4.00 (2 large sausage and large chips) however, that had a fire a couple of months ago and hasn't reopened. 

I tried one at Flint last week - Same order (Large Chips, 2 large Sausage and a small one), plus a bag of chips = £7.40, so a bag of chips difference in the price.

We now only have fish and chips as a treat and that is exactly what it is to us a treat , we pick a nice day and have a run up to Cromer , after a walk around the town we head off to Mary Janes in Garden St , always a small q but you order what you want and you know it is fried fresh , me or my wife then go around the corner to the sea front and get a place on the bench to sit on , this is over looking the sea and Cromer pier , we then get tucked into our still very hot fish and chips and just watch a very relaxed world go by while breathing in the fresh air , well worth the £16 / 17 and we never have had any regrets , roll on this weekend when hopefully we will once again ( treat ) ourselves to a meal fit for a king in lovely surroundings .

9 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

Two large fish, 1 x small chips and 1 x  large mushy peas is £11-90 here.

Just right between two of us.

Because we have been decorating we had a Chippy T from the local on Saturday

2 Large Chips, 2 Large + 1 small Sausage, Mushy Peas, Curry - £19.50

Our local F&C is £9.50 for regular cod and chips and £3.00 for regular chips only.  I'm told it's very good quality and generous portions of chips, but haven't participated myself.  I love F&C, and often have them when away somewhere, but tend not to indulge when at home. 

15 hours ago, Nublue 22 said:

well standing in the queue at the chippy I saw a small chips was, wait for it, £2.75, she wanted fish and chips, how much was that? I walked out and we had marmite on toast.

I don't know, how much was it?

How much did you expect it to be?

What is your chip portion pain threshold? How does that compare to the cost of the pints you'd sunk?

"Treating" the wife would've still likely cost you less than the cost of 2 boxes of cartridges....just sayin'