Two weeks on the trot!

Wilts#Dave

After last weeks unexpected red letter day I didn’t plan on going out again, but mid week thought I’d just drive by the same field out of interest and once again saw a few still flighting over and pitching in. Had another proper look on Thursday mid afternoon, and to my surprise there was still a good number of pigeons clattering out the trees on arrival and a few getting up off the field itself…..after fifteen minutes or so they started flighting back in, almost identical lines to the previous week. This week though,  the field looked quite different with large patches of yellow flowers all over it from the charlock in amongst the Lupins.
Another go it was then, so the following day we arrived at the field just after 12 o clock, and due to the wind direction decided to set up in the same spot as previously. 
All set up and ready to go, I was back from parking up and no sooner than getting the gun out of the slip there was a pigeon in on the decoys…..I wasn’t loaded up quick enough for this one but less than a minute later the first one was dispatched. I decided to take the little 28 bore today, as I wasn’t as fussed on numbers this week and to be honest when the pigeons are playing ball it’s so effective with barely any recoil I enjoy using it more than the 12! 
After a steadier start than before as we expected, things took a turn for the better and they switched on from 2 o clock ish, coming with increasing regularity, the barrels red hot for a good period of time and pigeons being dropped left right and centre…..they were decoying really well again, and giving me plenty of opportunities for doubles at times.
Once again the sun was beating into the hide, and with Dad deciding not to shoot today I called time at just before 5 o clock again as I’d shot plenty and needed to drop them off after unloading all the gear at home. 
After another lengthy pick up I should have carried on for another 10 minutes as I ended up picking 198, with a fair few having crashed into the thick undergrowth behind. 
Another unbelievable day, and certainly not the norm for us in our area so will be one to remember for sure!116502621_Img3.jpg.15983ec980cf8736bd9f836b64871764.jpg

Edited by Wilts#Dave

That was another unbelievable bag of Pigeons and richly deserved , just go to show how long will they keep off for when they have found something to there liking even after a heavy day like you and your dad gave them just one week a go , 

I only go for fairly short periods and I am normally on my way home at around five , there will be Pigeons come and give the field a look for two to three hours after I have left the field , so t b h it is nigh on impossible to keep them off for any length of time , the only thing now that might change there feeding habits is the milky grain might come advailable .

Good luck if you give it another go , make hay while the sun shine so they say .

Edited by marsh man

Thanks for all the replies! Was another wonderful day, most enjoyable with the 28 bore and the numbers just don’t seem to dwindle.
Shot another 193 last Thursday, again with the 28 bore packing up at the same sort of time although on the opposite side of the field in the shade of an overhanging tree and they decoyed equally well.
I’m not sure I’ll ever have the same success over one field again, but one of  the beauty’s of pigeon shooting for me is that you never know what’s round the corner……makes all the watching and fruitless searching at times seem worthwhile. The best shooting of the lot. 

What cartridges and chokes were you using?

I started using a 28 bore last year on both clays and game. Apart from the lack of weight and lack of recoil I haven’t noticed much difference in performance over my 12g, price of cartridges excluded!
Ive been using 21g and 24g loads with either two 1/4 or two 1/2 chokes in a Silver Pig  and Kofs. Patterning the chokes on both gave much better patterns with the more open chokes.

15 hours ago, nacnud said:

What cartridges and chokes were you using?

I started using a 28 bore last year on both clays and game. Apart from the lack of weight and lack of recoil I haven’t noticed much difference in performance over my 12g, price of cartridges excluded!
Ive been using 21g and 24g loads with either two 1/4 or two 1/2 chokes in a Silver Pig  and Kofs. Patterning the chokes on both gave much better patterns with the more open chokes.

My preferred cartridge has been the Hull High Pheasant 23g 5/6 shot. Used a box of Gamebore regal on the latest day and they were hard hitting too!
As you say they kill as well as a 12g if you can shoot straight out to sensible ranges! I use 1/4 and 1/2, killing some stonking birds with the 1/4 choke….Beretta Silver pigeon.
Never actually pattern plated the gun but not felt the need to tighten up the chokes at all. 

6 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

My preferred cartridge has been the Hull High Pheasant 23g 5/6 shot. Used a box of Gamebore regal on the latest day and they were hard hitting too!
As you say they kill as well as a 12g if you can shoot straight out to sensible ranges! I use 1/4 and 1/2, killing some stonking birds with the 1/4 choke….Beretta Silver pigeon.
Never actually pattern plated the gun but not felt the need to tighten up the chokes at all. 

Thanks, I haven’t tried the Hull High Pheasant but it’s my go to cartridge with my 16 bore.