Woks ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

Went to buy a wok today but was not sure what one to get.  Do i buy a carbon steel or a non stick coated one ?.

Thanks all.

Just now, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Went to buy a wok today but was not sure what one to get.  Do i buy a carbon steel or a non stick coated one ?.

Thanks all.

Carbon steel and just wipe it clean

Bought 2 from China Town opposite Wonkies, they were all carbon steel in there, got to be 20 years ago now.

Brief seasoning plan.

Blue hot all over, turn off heat, pour in 1/2 mug of water, re heat wash, heat again and coat with veg oil 

16 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I assume you cook on gas?

I used to be on gas, but now on induction and have a so called 'induction compatible' wok - and it is not very good as the heat doesn't get up the sides properly.  Usable, but not good.

Hello, your right John, I bought an induction cooker from China and it came with a steel pan and wok, tried the wok 🤔🙄🙄

It's good for vegetable (and other) stir fries.  The shape means you can cook a lot of loose veggie bits (I often stir fry cauliflower florets with sliced onions and peppers) in a relatively little oil quickly at a high frying temperature - which keeps the veggies crispy.  It's shape also means that you can 'flip' the contents much more easily than a normal frying pan.

Used on gas, the heat from the flame goes right up the curved sides so you have a big, but drained frying area using little oil - which is where induction doesn't suit a wok as well as gas as the sides don't get hot enough.  Not tried 'conventional electric'.

Edited by JohnfromUK

14 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

F

Please forgive my ignorance but what is the advantage/purpose of a wok?

It's bigger, but lighter, than a frying pan, so large one-pot meals can be easily made and it is less unwieldy.

It heats up quicker than a frying pan.

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I have never used a wok and I hear what you say about "one pot meals" but what examples can you give? I suppose it would be good for a left over fry up but I'm struggling to convince myself a woks worth cluttering up the cupboard 🤔

A classic one pot meal would be a Chinese stirfry with noodles.

Basically fresh veg, protein of your choice and rice or wheat noodles in a sauce of your choice.

Takes about 15mins to prepare, 15mins to cook, 15mins to eat and an hour later you could eat it again.

(No, forget the last stereotypical jibe)

Plenty of recipes on Google/YouTube

I also use ours to make Thai curries, again, the heat and speed of cooking makes for a fresher taste.

With Indian curries, I find that the greater surface area of the wok allows me to reduce the sauce quicker than a saucepan

3 hours ago, amateur said:

A classic one pot meal would be a Chinese stirfry with noodles.

Basically fresh veg, protein of your choice and rice or wheat noodles in a sauce of your choice.

Takes about 15mins to prepare, 15mins to cook, 15mins to eat and an hour later you could eat it again.

(No, forget the last stereotypical jibe)

Plenty of recipes on Google/YouTube

Ah OK thanks 👍👍👍

2 hours ago, amateur said:

I also use ours to make Thai curries, again, the heat and speed of cooking makes for a fresher taste.

With Indian curries, I find that the greater surface area of the wok allows me to reduce the sauce quicker than a saucepan

👍👍👍

Some time back when I consulted with a staff member of Wai Yee Hong, a well known Bristol Chinese supermarket, I was advised to go for the deep bowl steel wok as the high sides helped reduce the risk of splashing  spreading when cooking.

On 12/07/2023 at 14:49, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

Hello, New Wok yet samboy 🤔