Sciatica relief

harrycatcat1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Scully said:

Have you definitely been diagnosed with sciatica? 

Not recently but I've had it a fair few times before and the symptoms are the same.

The last appointment i made with my doctor I had to wait a month, when I got there they had no record of me making it so changing doctors. 

i trapped the sciatic nerve in the left hand side......i was virtually paralysed for 3 days ...the pain made me sick to my stomach....the only relief came from a hot water bottle and then eventually the use of an infa-red lamp and being pulled about.......then one evening i was hobbling thro to the kitchen using a staff for support....and in the space of 4 or 5 steps i went TOTALLY back to normal.............that was truly weird...and for and hoiur or so i felt really light headed as if i have just downed several gin and tonics....... 

I had sciatica for years and years, got fobbed off by the Drs countless times with painkillers and never offered physio. Although i did spanner myself in another way which masked the sciatica problem, it was still there, and one day i woke up at 3 am in the morning to go for a pee (as you do) to find i was having to drag my foot across the floor, not because of pain, but because it had gone numb and lifeless. Got the wife to take me to A+E where i was seen, admitted and had surgery (microdiscectomy) within 16 hours. The reason for the sudden rush by the Dr is that when it gets to the point that the bulging disc has cut off the nerve enough to cause numbness/paralysis, you have a very limited time to release the pressure before it kills the nerve. Unfortunately for me the time was too long and now i have permanent paralysis of my right foot along with a weak knee and hip. so please make yourselves away of the warning signs (numb nuts, calf muscles, top of foot). Lower torso strength exercises help prevent the problems as can staying well hydrated. Looking back now, i wish i had gone to see a decent physio, and would urge anyone suffering to do so.

👍

aware not away ***

12 hours ago, eggy74 said:

I had sciatica for years and years, got fobbed off by the Drs countless times with painkillers and never offered physio. Although i did spanner myself in another way which masked the sciatica problem, it was still there, and one day i woke up at 3 am in the morning to go for a pee (as you do) to find i was having to drag my foot across the floor, not because of pain, but because it had gone numb and lifeless. Got the wife to take me to A+E where i was seen, admitted and had surgery (microdiscectomy) within 16 hours. The reason for the sudden rush by the Dr is that when it gets to the point that the bulging disc has cut off the nerve enough to cause numbness/paralysis, you have a very limited time to release the pressure before it kills the nerve. Unfortunately for me the time was too long and now i have permanent paralysis of my right foot along with a weak knee and hip. so please make yourselves away of the warning signs (numb nuts, calf muscles, top of foot). Lower torso strength exercises help prevent the problems as can staying well hydrated. Looking back now, i wish i had gone to see a decent physio, and would urge anyone suffering to do so.

👍

aware not away ***

I am sorry to hear of your predicament, thanks for your valuable advice 🙏 👍 

On 15/07/2023 at 16:11, harrycatcat1 said:

Not recently but I've had it a fair few times before and the symptoms are the same.

The last appointment i made with my doctor I had to wait a month, when I got there they had no record of me making it so changing doctors. 

What is the cause? Prolapsed disc or Pyriformes?

8 minutes ago, Penelope said:

What is the cause? Prolapsed disc or Pyriformes?

No idea the doctor last time just said "oh that's sciatica go and see the physio" 

It just seems to come for a while then go, hopefully sooner than later, says he with a heat pad on the bottom of my back. It seemed a lot better yesterday then today its just asserting its authority again. 

I am in the process of changing doctors 

23 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

No idea the doctor last time just said "oh that's sciatica go and see the physio" 

It just seems to come for a while then go, hopefully sooner than later, says he with a heat pad on the bottom of my back. It seemed a lot better yesterday then today its just asserting its authority again. 

I am in the process of changing doctors 

The cause will determine the treatment.

I have had sciatica, three times; the first for 2 years, caused by a prolapsed disc that after rounds of physio, etc, required surgery to remove the disc and fuse the vertebrae to the sacrum.

The other two bouts, both right and left legs, were caused by the pyriformis muscle in my backside contracting on the nerve. That needed intensive physio and acupuncture to release the spasm.

I have been left with partial feeling in my left big toe, because of nerve damage.

14 minutes ago, Penelope said:

The cause will determine the treatment.

I have had sciatica, three times; the first for 2 years, caused by a prolapsed disc that after rounds of physio, etc, required surgery to remove the disc and fuse the vertebrae to the sacrum.

The other two bouts, both right and left legs, were caused by the pyriformis muscle in my backside contracting on the nerve. That needed intensive physio and acupuncture to release the spasm.

I have been left with partial feeling in my left big toe, because of nerve damage.

Looks like a trip to the new doctors then once sorted, thanks 👍

I suffer with my back (19% disability) from an injury in the Forces. I manage it quite well now - my favourite thing is Diclofenac in tablet form although it is a battle to get some from the doctors (a battle I need to do again as I have run out). I find that taking a double dose (100mg) straight away and then as prescribed sees off the problem pretty quickly (a day or two) and then I do + 1 day to make sure....

One time, when my back had caused a spasm and as Penelope has had and caused sciatica, I ended up under physio with a right manipulator. She would pop me first off as my shoulders would be hunched and then she would work on the sciatica - the pain was almost unbearable but afterwards there would be more relaxation of the muscle and she was able to get it out over the space of a month - 2 visits a week.

2 minutes ago, discobob said:

I suffer with my back (19% disability) from an injury in the Forces. I manage it quite well now - my favourite thing is Diclofenac in tablet form although it is a battle to get some from the doctors (a battle I need to do again as I have run out). I find that taking a double dose (100mg) straight away and then as prescribed sees off the problem pretty quickly (a day or two) and then I do + 1 day to make sure....

One time, when my back had caused a spasm and as Penelope has had and caused sciatica, I ended up under physio with a right manipulator. She would pop me first off as my shoulders would be hunched and then she would work on the sciatica - the pain was almost unbearable but afterwards there would be more relaxation of the muscle and she was able to get it out over the space of a month - 2 visits a week.

It was the 9 inch long needles stuck in my *****, right into the muscle, that did the trick for the two bouts of pyriformis.

Pictured is a tens machine £35 from   argos i purchased one. Good for muscle strains and inflammation .Uses an electrical current in a choice of many forms & intensity. I used one off and on over the years back for football injuries.   A hand held Ultra sound machines are apparently good for Sciatica  which is aimed at tendon & ligaments.  Hope this gives a very basic help cheers 🍻 

47 minutes ago, hushpower said:

Pictured is a tens machine £35 from   argos i purchased one. Good for muscle strains and inflammation .Uses an electrical current in a choice of many forms & intensity. I used one off and on over the years back for football injuries.   A hand held Ultra sound machines are apparently good for Sciatica  which is aimed at tendon & ligaments.  Hope this gives a very basic help cheers 🍻 

Thanks 👍

Yes I have a very similar machine I use for my back I have multiple slipped discs and currently awaiting a operation I find this helps massively with the sciatica and the back pain also lying in your back in bed lift your legs alternately up straight and hold with your hand if you cannot do this yourself get someone to help imagine bending over and touching your toes without bending your knees this work’s fantastic for relieving sciatica hope this helps

12 hours ago, derbyduck said:

Harry Try rubbing cold baked beans on your back , that will get rid of the bean and maybe the sciatica .

😉😉😉😉😉🤣🤣👍👍👍 I have sacked Wheatbridge, absolutely useless,  couldn't run a raffle, changed to Storrs Road. 

To be honest it's different again today just a niggle in the bottom right of my back.