Better than expected

yickdaz

Was out last weekend managed 20 on sat before the rain came  and sun it rained all day non stop I found birds going on stubble in the rain on sun and thought I'll come back today  I was late getting out today arrived at the stubble for 1pm not a bird on the field or flighting  I was wondering what the hell was going on they were on it in the rain but not on a dry windy day, 30 mins later was like a tap being turned on  birds all over the place and coming to the stubble so set up for 2pm steady going for a few hrs then the last hour and half was hectic I decided to call it a day at 6pm  I looked at the time it was was 5.45pm  took me 15 mins to fire the last  box of carts I had in the hide had more in the car but I'd had enough shooting  final bag was 121 picked 110 

20230729_182614-edit-20230729190447.jpg.4751d70a59d0132fc1f1ce14db028d54.jpg

It’s just great when a plan comes together! I had a nice afternoon a week ago where I was expecting them to come back thick and fast, only to grind out 50 odd by 4.30 for the tap to turn on and they decoyed lovely for the last 2 hours when I shot another 100 plus. I find it quite often at this time of year where they’ll pile in for a last feed if you sit it out. 
Well done 👍🏼

3 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done Daz, you went with your hunch and it paid off, just take more cartridges next time!!

I had 3 boxes in the car pc but I set myself a certain time to pack up which was 6pm  and I had a good bag by that time 

11 hours ago, yickdaz said:

I had 3 boxes in the car pc but I set myself a certain time to pack up which was 6pm  and I had a good bag by that time 

A superb afternoons sport Daz , you sound like you are now entering a age bracket where you set yourself a time when you have had enough , no doubt there was a time where you would had gone back to your motor to had got some more cartridges and kept going till the last pigeon had stopped flying , I now set a time limit of three hours shooting , by then I would have had a bit of sport , my dog a few retrieves and a good afternoon out .  MM

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

A superb afternoons sport Daz , you sound like you are now entering a age bracket where you set yourself a time when you have had enough , no doubt there was a time where you would had gone back to your motor to had got some more cartridges and kept going till the last pigeon had stopped flying , I now set a time limit of three hours shooting , by then I would have had a bit of sport , my dog a few retrieves and a good afternoon out .  MM

I'm 48 in Nov so still keen and could shoot 8hrs if i had to but if I shoot 100  I feel like that's enough I don't care if I shoot 500 birds in a day 50 is a good bag in my eyes 

7 hours ago, yickdaz said:

I'm 48 in Nov so still keen and could shoot 8hrs if i had to but if I shoot 100  I feel like that's enough I don't care if I shoot 500 birds in a day 50 is a good bag in my eyes 

To be perfectly honest , I dare say when I was 48 I might had been tempted to had shot a few more , then in my 50s I would stick to a time on a Saturday as my wife worked in a supermarket on a Saturaday and we started to have our tea together at a sensible time , I still had the odd late night during the week but changes were in sight , in my 60s when I was asked what time I would be home it would be inbetween say 6 and 7 so I had a bit of time to play with , then moving on past my mid 60s it was then down to sport and the big numbers became a thing of the past , now I will soon be 76 and my limit now is whatever I get in the time I am there , I get as much enjoyment in lazyly looking around for a couple of days then if it is dry I then have 2 or 3 hours shooting , this work a treat , potter about in the morning , a spot of lunch then on my way around 1pm , I am normally set up by 1.30 pm and if I stay it is close of play at 4.30 and home for a cuppa at around 5pm , I am happy and so is the mistress in the house hold  :lol:

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

I cant seem to pull myself away , rather sit in the field than at home.

My friends know that I am a glutton for this… my wife calls or texts me annoyed every time I am out (which is quite often) as I always end up chasing just a few more. 

21 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

My friends know that I am a glutton for this… my wife calls or texts me annoyed every time I am out (which is quite often) as I always end up chasing just a few more. 

My wife knows better, she knows once I'm out I return when I'm ready, nothing worse than being on a time limit.

14 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Haha, this made me smile. I always tell my other half I don’t expect I’ll be back too late only to roll in at 7/8 o clock. 
I must admit I struggle to tear myself away when they’re coming in, you get in the zone and lose yourself…..my favourite way to unwind.