The "Crooked House" burned down

amateur

Sad to read that one of the Midland oddities has now gone.

It was a regular feature of my childhood, when we lived in Staffordshire, to be taken there and watch a bottle being rolled "uphill" on a table by gravity, whilst Dad enjoyed his pint.

Thecrookedhouse-2023-06.jpg

Edited by amateur

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my old locals in my late teens while I still lived with my mom and dad, long walk back down that lane in the dark after a few pints to get home. Started out as a farm house in the mid 1700's if I recall.

It had just been sold to an undisclosed buyer and wasn't going to be a pub anymore, and all the local people I have on social media are moaning about it being closed but never used to go in anyway. Certainly not the only pub around that way that's been sold and then "mysteriously" had a fire.

15 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Maybe a crooked new owner 

4 minutes ago, Madhatter2132 said:

One of my old locals in my late teens while I still lived with my mom and dad, long walk back down that lane in the dark after a few pints to get home. Started out as a farm house in the mid 1700's if I recall.

It had just been sold to an undisclosed buyer and wasn't going to be a pub anymore, and all the local people I have on social media are moaning about it being closed but never used to go in anyway. Certainly not the only pub around that way that's been sold and then "mysteriously" had a fire.

Strange how this seems to be a common thing with recently sold property.  😎

5 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

What with a large beer garden and car park that you can get a few houses on . Can’t think why there is any suspicious thoughts !

Agriv8

I wonder if the buyers of the new houses will get insurance against subsidence?

29 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

No doubt, a decision taken based purely on health and safety concerns……

A failed nightclub / drinking establishment near me had a similar problem and now it’s a lavish new block of flats. 

Indeed, they’re never rebuilt as the historic uneconomic pubs they once were 😆

45 minutes ago, Mungler said:

they’re never rebuilt

Might be difficult for any new houses in the area to get subsidence insurance - bearing in mind the pub was 'crooked' due to subsidence - I guess in that area possibly due to old mining?

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Might be difficult for any new houses in the area to get subsidence insurance - bearing in mind the pub was 'crooked' due to subsidence - I guess in that area possibly due to old mining?

According to Google, the Himley colliery, which caused the damage, closed in 1908.

Interestingly, there appear to be new houses on the colliery site.

Interesting article on news about it surrounding how it caught fire and who actually demolished it.  Smells wrong this ..

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

100% mining caused the subsidence. Was on top of a mine...

16 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Yes

Apparently it wasn't listed (1st link to Birmingham Mail) - though (according to the Telegraph) listing was applied for only days before the fire (second link).

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/crooked-house-listed-building-27469989

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/07/britains-wonkiest-pub-crooked-house-burnt-down-to-be-listed/

This is an excerpt fron the Telegraph  as you may not be able to open it unless a subscriber;

One week before the fire on Aug 5, Historic England received a submission from experts requesting that the pub – built in 1765 – be given protection as a listed building, officials from the heritage body told The Telegraph.

Such protection prevents property owners from changing physical features of historic buildings without first seeking permission from a local council.

19 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Apparently it wasn't listed (1st link to Birmingham Mail) - though (according to the Telegraph) listing was applied for only days before the fire (second link).

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/crooked-house-listed-building-27469989

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/07/britains-wonkiest-pub-crooked-house-burnt-down-to-be-listed/

This is an excerpt fron the Telegraph  as you may not be able to open it unless a subscriber;

One week before the fire on Aug 5, Historic England received a submission from experts requesting that the pub – built in 1765 – be given protection as a listed building, officials from the heritage body told The Telegraph.

Such protection prevents property owners from changing physical features of historic buildings without first seeking permission from a local council.

OK, it was being reported that it was listed.

16 minutes ago, JKD said:

If it was called "THE SHIP" 🙈😁

:lol:

15 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

OK, it was being reported that it was listed.

I'm guessing that everyone thought it was (I did) but in fact apparently there are several listed buildings "The Crooked House", but that wasn't one of them, which does seem a strange omission.  I guess the truth is - it wasn't of architectural merit, just unusual and quirky.