How long does your weeds grow?

Pushkin

There has been so much rain up here that its been difficult to cut the grass and of course the weeds have grown just as quick if not quicker😕

Because of this, I'm much later in getting on to the weed killing and I visited the local Garden Centre to buy some weed killer; Blimey what a shock with the prices and what a shock they didn't have any glorious Glysophate.  Well, they had a wee spray bottle with it already diluted, Jeez that's expensive; and would deal with maybe an A4 size piece of ground.  No use. SO I looked at all the other ones available Round up - is good but not at £45:00 a litre.  I humphed and I hawed and eventually bought Resolve ready sprayer at £28:00 for a large sprayer with the stuff inside all ready to use.  Wife thinks I'm nuts - but she's always thought that anyway.  All the grounds been sprayed and the garden and grassed areas done as well.  Took me ages but the wild life was interesting in some places, especially round the wood shed where a family of bee's have made a home, and were practicing trial runs at my hat.  Nature is great eh?  My old friend the Toad hasn't made an appearance this year - at all, hope he is okay.  Between the rows of tatties and the rows of onions the weeds have gone wild so they will be physically dealt with.  The peas are looking good but I can't get near them for Nettles.  My sweet corn are really thriving and are up to waist height, they have their share of weeds but because there is a fine mesh screen around the sweet corn the weeds don't get a lot of help to grow.  Thank gawd my tomatos are in a green house though healthy and small, are in perfect fettle and taste lovely.  So come on PW readers and contributers, what is your choice of weed killer.  Sorry I took so long to get here but I was bored:whistling:

Pushkin :good:

Good luck i used my weed burner on the weeds between the slabs then i sprayed them when they came back and i had to hand weed them after that but there back again i think theres weed fabric under the slabs but with the weed seeds blowing about and the hot wet summer everything's put in a growth spurt

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I use Round Up glyphosate and is the best that I’ve found.

+1

There are a whole variety of 'versions', Double strength, Ultra, etc., but all basically glyshosate.  It's a matter of trying to decode which is best value.

For brambles, briars, docks and nettles, SBK Brushweed killer is better (and a bit cheaper).

I have been pulling ragwort like mad this year.  Unfortunately, both my immediate neighbours don't, so it's an ongoing battle to ensure grass is free before cut for animal feed. (hay or silage).

7 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Not to hijack the thread but how do I deal with bramble coming up through established shrubs? I can dig out everything else but not this? I use general glyphosphate extra strength from The Range. Use a knapsack sprayer and does the trick on general stuff

depending on the area involved you could use a paint brush to paint the leaves.

Just now, Dave at kelton said:

Not to hijack the thread but how do I deal with bramble coming up through established shrubs? I can dig out everything else but not this? I use general glyphosphate extra strength from The Range. Use a knapsack sprayer and does the trick on general stuff

The best way is to dig them out, but that isn't always possible.

One way (if you can get suitable access and there aren't too many) is to cut off the brambles and paint the cut surface with 50% diluted RoundUp (glyphosate).    Obviously be aware if handling glyphosate with a paintbrush that skin contact is best avoided - it used to be considered fairly harmless, but current thinking suggests it may be more harmful than thought, so best to take precautions.

I prefer SBK Brushweed killer for brambles (because doesn't hurt grass) but it too will kill any shrubs with leaf contact.

13 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The best way is to dig them out, but that isn't always possible.

One way (if you can get suitable access and there aren't too many) is to cut off the brambles and paint the cut surface with 50% diluted RoundUp (glyphosate).    Obviously be aware if handling glyphosate with a paintbrush that skin contact is best avoided - it used to be considered fairly harmless, but current thinking suggests it may be more harmful than thought, so best to take precautions.

I prefer SBK Brushweed killer for brambles (because doesn't hurt grass) but it too will kill any shrubs with leaf contact.

Thanks will give that a try.

Glyphosate may be carcinogenic according to recent reports. Although SDS Info does not show this data.  And I don't think its been proven yet. Statements just say it may be linked to cancer. 

Be cautious and use recommend PPE, gloves, eye wear and ffp3 mask. And wash after using. 

FYI

If you are thinking of buying any herbicide containing glyphosate, in particular to dilute yourself there are plans to restrict sale end of 2023. 

Edited by Dougy

Thanks guys, I used DOF glyphosate last year and the year before on my problem Mares Tail weeds and it fairly knocked that back.  I see its starting again though as well as all these other Bl%$*^ weeds.  I couldnt get any of it as I said but some of your posts are interesting about other favourites having it in them.. might just go for the Round up at £44:00 After I look on line for a cheaper supplier.  Its never ending but we get anawful lot of enjoyment with our garden.  Just letting it go to weed allyear is terrible looking.

Cheers folks.

Pushkin:good:

PS I hear that "Job done" made by BAER is supposedly quite good too.

28 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

Thanks guys, I used DOF glyphosate last year and the year before on my problem Mares Tail weeds and it fairly knocked that back.  I see its starting again though as well as all these other Bl%$*^ weeds.  I couldnt get any of it as I said but some of your posts are interesting about other favourites having it in them.. might just go for the Round up at £44:00 After I look on line for a cheaper supplier.  Its never ending but we get anawful lot of enjoyment with our garden.  Just letting it go to weed allyear is terrible looking.

Cheers folks.

PS I hear that "Job done" made by BAER is supposedly quite good too.

Is that £44 for a 5ltr concentrate ?  

Look at the link I put up, they have the same ingredients just different brand name. 

12 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

Dougy, no its for a 1 litre concentrate.  It covers a ridiculous acreage when diluted correctly and dependent on what the weeds are.  That link for Rosate was one of the interesting ones and one I may consider.  Pushkin:good:

£44 for  litre ???

Too late if you have ordered it i suppose, 

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

Just bought 5litre of Rosate for £39. 

Glyphosate  just different brand name. This is for brambles and bracken. So far seems to be working. 

https://www.amenity.co.uk/products/rosate-360-tf-glyphosate-weed-killer

+1 for the Rosate 36

Bloomin eck it has gone up in price, think I bought 5 litres about 15 years ago for under 20 quid.

Used it for years and it has killed off any bramble, mares tail and virtually any other vegetation in the garden. The only thing it would not kill was that bloody bamboo which would not die by any means. Ended up digging the beggar out.

8 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

+1 for the Rosate 36

Bloomin eck it has gone up in price, think I bought 5 litres about 15 years ago for under 20 quid.

Used it for years and it has killed off any bramble, mares tail and virtually any other vegetation in the garden. The only thing it would not kill was that bloody bamboo which would not die by any means. Ended up digging the beggar out.

Bamboo would need injecting, each new growth over months. We looked at a bracken specific herbicide Asulox but at £110 for 5 litres we changed our minds. LOL

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Bamboo would need injecting, each new growth over months. We looked at a bracken specific herbicide Asulox but at £110 for 5 litres we changed our minds. LOL

I can see why you gave it a miss. That is some expensive salt. No saving on the 20 litre at just shy of £440 and I wonder how far 5 litres would go.

This thread gives me unfond memories, or should I say more like a nightmare. It was a good laugh though when I look back. :lol:

Do you remember it?

The bamboo has not returned (yet) but even the rosate 36 I used did not kill it.

@Pushkin it a shame that you are so far from me as I would have given you some. Hope you get rid of the blighters.

atb

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks, regarding the type of weed killer i ended up using (Resolva), thanks for all the hints and tips about alternatives that do contain Glyphosate  - my usual brand _ I'm still humphing and hawing about what one to get.  HOWEVER  --- Wait for it-- the resolva has done a remarkable job on all the weeds.. After spraying all my ground I have just left it to work, and it has been in different stages over the last 2-3 weeks.  THe best result however is - it has killed back the Marest6ails that have been bothering me for some years now.  Checking around before mowing and I came to a new patch that started last year and - all dead!  WOW!  I'm sure the blighter will resow or regenerate but for this year at least, it has died off on the surface  And I mean died off.  Am going to try one of the others for over winter and before I rotovate nex year  Meanwhile I'm off to surface weed all the dead stuff (except for the Marestails).

Cheers folks and I will update you all on this and my choice for winter and start of next year.

3 hours ago, Pushkin said:

Hello folks, regarding the type of weed killer i ended up using (Resolva), thanks for all the hints and tips about alternatives that do contain Glyphosate  - my usual brand _ I'm still humphing and hawing about what one to get.  HOWEVER  --- Wait for it-- the resolva has done a remarkable job on all the weeds.. After spraying all my ground I have just left it to work, and it has been in different stages over the last 2-3 weeks.  THe best result however is - it has killed back the Marest6ails that have been bothering me for some years now.  Checking around before mowing and I came to a new patch that started last year and - all dead!  WOW!  I'm sure the blighter will resow or regenerate but for this year at least, it has died off on the surface  And I mean died off.  Am going to try one of the others for over winter and before I rotovate nex year  Meanwhile I'm off to surface weed all the dead stuff (except for the Marestails).

Cheers folks and I will update you all on this and my choice for winter and start of next year.

I would wait for any new growth to germinate  over a few weeks and then re-spray. If you can afford to wait i would repeat this a couple of times.