Game Gun

chrislightning

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I am new to this game, no pun intended. I've always thought it is a lighter weight gun, shorter barrels, usually (but not always) fixed choke, and a smaller rib?

If that is correct, I would like to know what perception others have that is incorrect, to learn!

Well, yes and no, in 2023 a FITASC gun would actually except for the weight probably be the nearest to a "game gun" in that a game gun is essentially a gun that is mounted as you take the shot rather than pre-mounted as for most clay shooting. Now back in 1983 the nearest thing to a game gun might have been a gun purpose "designed" for shooting English Skeet from a gun down start when the bird was called.ย 

So our 1983 English Skeet gun would be fast handling, open choked, an ejector, designed for targets at around twenty yards distant over the most part and where the time elapsed from seeing the bird to pulling the trigger and killing the bird was short. Which would back in the day have been something of twenty-eight inches length (or even twenty-six inches), lightweight(ish) yet comfortable with 1 1/8 ounces of shot nevertheless and choked with fixed chokes of, at most maybe, loose 1/4 or even IMP in both barrels.

Rib wise I've seen game guns, side by side, with flat raised ribs like the AYA Yeoman had, Churchill ribs even on twenty eight inch barrel guns and of course many many with "traditional" swamped ribs. I've even...once and I wish I'd bought it...seen "ribless" guns (at once Edinburgh Fringe Festival on a gunshop visit to Alex Martin's). And those ribs of all types I'v seen I'v seen them polished smooth, matted, cross chequered.ย 

Edited by enfieldspares

2 hours ago, chrislightning said:

Called round my Dads to have a look at these. Heโ€™ll be happy to transfer. Top one is what i learned to shoot pigeons with (my grandfathers) middle is passed down from my Dads Uncle, bottom is what I watched my Dad shoot with for 30 years. All have their own piece of nostalgia with them.ย 

IMG_1859.jpeg

Top one looks nice, what is it?

11 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Rob, you are quite correct, but only if we are going back to the end of the last century.

ย 

Far too many people now see a need for long barrels, tight choking and monstrous cartridges.

ย 

Dave Carry is responsible in part!

ย 

Driven game shooting was and indeed is done with a gun with 1/4 and 1/2 choke and 28 or 30 grammes of 6 shot.

ย 

But there are those that have to prove something and want to shoot "Extreme" pheasants, make videos of themselves doing it and basically "SHOW OFF." They have done the "sport" no favours with their selfish attitude.

Your clearly not a fan of DC, each to their own, although I think his films are well put together and show the broad spectrum of people involved in shooting

struggling to understand what you mean by their selfish attitude, can you expand?

17 hours ago, button said:

Your clearly not a fan of DC, each to their own, although I think his films are well put together and show the broad spectrum of people involved in shooting

struggling to understand what you mean by their selfish attitude, can you expand?

TC is perfectly capable of speaking up for himself. However, as I have clearly stated that I agree with him on this one, it's worth noting that yet again sometimes it is necessary to look at the intent of any comment and not simply the written word. This because there is more than one implication for 'selfish'.

I read this as a selfish lack of consideration for the quarry by those (and only those) who attempt to shoot quarry at ranges beyond which the cartridge/gun combination has no chance of ensuring as far as is reasonably certain of consistently achieving a clean kill with a truly aimed shot. Such Guns leave no doubt regarding the validity of TC's final sentence.

The above may or may not be what TC intended and purely relates to my interpretation of 'selfish'.

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I read this as a selfish lack of consideration for the quarry by those (and only those) who attempt to shoot quarry at ranges beyond which the cartridge/gun combination has no chance of ensuring as far as is reasonably certain of consistently achieving a clean kill with a truly aimed shot.

I agree (having "+1'd TC's original post).

Experimenting to see how far you can stretch the range on live quarry is not sportsmanship, is bad form, and brings shooting into disrepute.

Everyone shooting at live quarry should only do so within the capabilities of the equipment in use to give a clean kill.ย  Arguably, the exception would be for a bird that has already clearly taken shot (e.g. had feathers knocked out but is flying on), where the chance to dispatch it more quickly might arise.ย  That would be a call for the individual on a case by case basis.

22 hours ago, button said:

Yes, can you imagine being at a shoot, waiting to draw your peg number and Dave Carrie and his film crew turn up. Selfish is being polite.

Never met DC as he doesnโ€™t seem to frequent shoots in the south but at least heโ€™s tried to push game shooting in a positive light ..

Some may not like his business model of free days for the video etc but guess it works for some.

My only point would be visit more usual shoots where you arenโ€™t using 36g loads . Normal birds with a normal gun and 30g 6โ€™s to show what is the vast majority of British shoots are about , not just bigger days ( which I like) and 40 metres or more birds