Gun fitting

getthegat

I'm sure this will have been discussed plenty of times before, but what are peeps thoughts on having a gun fitted. I'm not talking about trying a butt pad and cheek extension, rather the whole 9 yards where the woodwork is actually modified to fit an individuals body. I know there is a saying about buying an expensive gun that doesn't fit versus a cheap gun and having it fitted properly, the expensive gun will never hit the target as much. Put another way, should one spend 2k on a nice gun or a grand on the £500 one you already have and generally enjoy using? What experiences has anyone had, who did you use and what was the overall cost? In this months Sporting Gun, Holland and Holland were mentioned for this service, at £160 per hour for a whole day spent checking, testing, taking measurements, getting one shooting etc. I know they are extremely experienced and skillful but are these type of established gunshops, where one has to go. I'm hoping to get a little bit of money in the next year and my shooting average is going down hill, it's not the gun quality or reliability, it's not the cartridges, it's definitely me and like a pair of glasses, as one gets older the lenses you've had for 10 years just don't do the job any more, so I feel is the case with reaction times, anticipation of the moving target, muscle control and a bundle of other age related issues. 

I am struggling with what you actually want.

You shoot okay with your current gun, but your scores are going down, which has nothing to do with gun fit. You put it down to eyesight, reaction times, anticipation of the moving target, muscle control and a bundle of other age related issues. None of these would be cured by having a gun fitted.

I would be looking at shooting lessons, instead of gun fitting.

2 hours ago, getthegat said:

I'm sure this will have been discussed plenty of times before, but what are peeps thoughts on having a gun fitted. I'm not talking about trying a butt pad and cheek extension, rather the whole 9 yards where the woodwork is actually modified to fit an individuals body. I know there is a saying about buying an expensive gun that doesn't fit versus a cheap gun and having it fitted properly, the expensive gun will never hit the target as much. Put another way, should one spend 2k on a nice gun or a grand on the £500 one you already have and generally enjoy using? What experiences has anyone had, who did you use and what was the overall cost? In this months Sporting Gun, Holland and Holland were mentioned for this service, at £160 per hour for a whole day spent checking, testing, taking measurements, getting one shooting etc. I know they are extremely experienced and skillful but are these type of established gunshops, where one has to go. I'm hoping to get a little bit of money in the next year and my shooting average is going down hill, it's not the gun quality or reliability, it's not the cartridges, it's definitely me and like a pair of glasses, as one gets older the lenses you've had for 10 years just don't do the job any more, so I feel is the case with reaction times, anticipation of the moving target, muscle control and a bundle of other age related issues. 

£160 an hour!  I used the try gun at the Yorkshire Gun Room and my measurements and gun was sent to Elderkins.  It needed height and cast it was £80 for each, fitted like a glove.  Unfortunately Jeff Lupton has very sadly passed away but you have a price guide, Elderkins did a superb job.  £160 an hour for a full day is simply taking the proverbial, it took Jeff half an hour to fit me up with the try gun.

Edited by Weihrauch17

I have had two fitted;

1. A Beretta o/u  (that I already owned) done at a shooting school.  Can't remember what it cost, but it was a long time ago and low 3 figures including two fitting sessions on pattern plate and clays and alteration of cast, stand and bend.
  2. An AyA No 1 (second hand) done by a gunsmith and included in the price I paid and involved pattern plate.

I have been very pleased with both.

28 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

£160 an hour!  I used the try gun at the Yorkshire Gun Room and my measurements and gun was sent to Elderkins.  It needed height and cast it was £80 for each, fitted like a glove.  Unfortunately Jeff Lupton has very sadly passed away but you have a price guide, Elderkins did a superb job.  £160 an hour for a full day is simply taking the proverbial, it took Jeff half an hour to fit me up with the try gun.

What gun did you get altered if you don’t mind me asking 

side by side or over and under 

14 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

An AYA SBS.

A lot easier to bend than a over and under with a bolt through the stock 

also think fit on a side by side is much more important for both comfort and good shooting 

thanks for your reply 😊👍

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

I had a one hour lesson/gun fitting with H&H on a January/February special offer for £120 in 2013.

That was the gunfit session it’s gone up also H&H are under new management now 

the alteration of the stock is extra price depends upon what you have done 

As always, great replies and feedback, thanks. So any recommendations on where to get some lessons and where they will check the gun fit? 

As a footnote; my girl Sophie did her first ever water retrieve on Friday. I shot a Woodie and it dropped right in the middle of a pond, she had to push through weed and reeds on the edge then swim out to it, it was a perfect clean pick up and retrieve to me waiting proudly on the bank. Amazing for a mix breed rescue dog. I love her 😍

47 minutes ago, getthegat said:

So any recommendations on where to get some lessons and where they will check the gun fit?

You need to find somewhere reasonably local (and I can't advise on anywhere near you).  Not a good idea to drive a long way, arrive stressed, and try and shoot in a normal relaxed manner.  Personally, I would do the following;

1. Ask around and find a well recommended local(ish) coach/shooting school.
  2. Book a lesson initially (or even just have a visit, chat and a few clays) and see how you get on.  This gives you the opportunity to see if you like the instructor and have confidence in him/her.
  3. If you are liking the instructor and get on well, raise the issue of gun fit.  He/she may say that your present gun is a decent fit, or may say that you might benefit from some alterations (or might say you need to work on your stance/style first.  If you don't feel the person is 'right for you' go elsewhere.  There are others around.
  4. Before any fitting, the instructor/fitter needs to be certain that you have a consistent style and mount, as a gun cannot be fitted to someone who doesn't mount it consistently.  Fitting a gun will not (on it's own anyway) correct errors in style or inconsistency.
  5. If you then decide to have a fit session, the usual route would be to find somewhere (may be the same shooting school) who has a pattern plate and 'try gun'. 
  6. Also check with the instructor/fitter 'roughly' what is needed and find a gunsmith who will do the work and get an idea of the cost to your chosen gun.  This may be done through the fitter/instructor - or you may get a set of measurements and take to your preferred gunsmith/gunmaker.  Be aware that it is possible that certain guns are not capable of all alterations.  Examples are that the stock bolt in many o/u designs does limit what can be done, and a gunsmith may feel that any major bending needed would be too 'risky', either of breakage, or of not staying bent (they can 'relax' back).
  7. Be aware that no one (whatever shops may tell you) can properly 'fit' a gun based on looking at you dry mount a gun in a shop.  It needs a proper session, probably with a try gun, and certainly with some cartridges and targets/pattern plate.

It sound complex, but these are the procedures that shooting schools, fitters and gunsmiths do as their normal daily business and find the right one, have confidence in them, and it will all be a breeze.

30 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

You need to find somewhere reasonably local (and I can't advise on anywhere near you).  Not a good idea to drive a long way, arrive stressed, and try and shoot in a normal relaxed manner.  Personally, I would do the following;

1. Ask around and find a well recommended local(ish) coach/shooting school.
  2. Book a lesson initially (or even just have a visit, chat and a few clays) and see how you get on.  This gives you the opportunity to see if you like the instructor and have confidence in him/her.
  3. If you are liking the instructor and get on well, raise the issue of gun fit.  He/she may say that your present gun is a decent fit, or may say that you might benefit from some alterations (or might say you need to work on your stance/style first.  If you don't feel the person is 'right for you' go elsewhere.  There are others around.
  4. Before any fitting, the instructor/fitter needs to be certain that you have a consistent style and mount, as a gun cannot be fitted to someone who doesn't mount it consistently.  Fitting a gun will not (on it's own anyway) correct errors in style or inconsistency.
  5. If you then decide to have a fit session, the usual route would be to find somewhere (may be the same shooting school) who has a pattern plate and 'try gun'. 
  6. Also check with the instructor/fitter 'roughly' what is needed and find a gunsmith who will do the work and get an idea of the cost to your chosen gun.  This may be done through the fitter/instructor - or you may get a set of measurements and take to your preferred gunsmith/gunmaker.  Be aware that it is possible that certain guns are not capable of all alterations.  Examples are that the stock bolt in many o/u designs does limit what can be done, and a gunsmith may feel that any major bending needed would be too 'risky', either of breakage, or of not staying bent (they can 'relax' back).
  7. Be aware that no one (whatever shops may tell you) can properly 'fit' a gun based on looking at you dry mount a gun in a shop.  It needs a proper session, probably with a try gun, and certainly with some cartridges and targets/pattern plate.

It sound complex, but these are the procedures that shooting schools, fitters and gunsmiths do as their normal daily business and find the right one, have confidence in them, and it will all be a breeze.

Wow! That's amazing info, very useful with lots to think about and consider. Some research would seem my next step. Thank you

I have previously put on here the saga of my Westley Richards S x S. Basically it was cast for a left hander when I bought it. It was made right handed, but altered by a previous owner.  After a local gunsmith had altered it to fit, it twice went 'back'. I took it to Westley Richards and 2 shots with my gun and then 2 shots with their 'try gun' on a pattern plate, that was it. Their stocker left my stock clamped and went on 2 weeks holiday.  When I collected the gun, I can honestly say that I have NEVER shot so well with any gun and still do to this day. The work was done in 1981 at a cost of around £50. I made a weekend away of taking it to Birmingham, for my Wife and I.  We were made most welcome  by Westley's on the Monday morning,  prior to the drive home. I have 4 game days booked for this season and the Westley will have an airing.

I definitely recommend getting a try gun session. I had one at AGL and the quarter of an inch that came off my stock made all the difference for gun down shooting. It was Julien Watson who took me out - he noticed the stock being too long during a shoot. I got the measurements applied to both my OU and SXS. Definitely took me up a level, albeit from "not very good" to "mostly competent" 😂