Any one still use 9mm garden gun

Root

28 minutes ago, Root said:

Dose anyone still use 3bore garden guns out there for rats or anything 

I think you have got the bore size mixed up. A 3bore cartridge would be as big as a rat and definitely not used in a garden.

Edited by RCB56

4 minutes ago, RCB56 said:

I think you have got the bore size mixed up. A 3bore cartridge would be as big as a rat and definitely not used in a garden.

this is a question i was going to ask.............i googled 3 bore shotgun  and it came up as 9mm garden gun................icant see this as correct 

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

this is a question i was going to ask.............i googled 3 bore shotgun  and it came up as 9mm garden gun................icant see this as correct 

Ditchie, I just looked it up after your post and it say 9mm No3 garden gun and definitely not 3bore. So I believe we are correct in our understanding of shotgun bore sizes.

I've always had an inkling to see if these 9mm RF guns could be converted to centrefire and use .357 Maximum cases loaded with shot. Eley did make a centrefire shotgun cartridge for .36 calibre so why not. The work would need to be done on the bolt head a striker and would not at all be difficult as it is merely drilling a central hole in the bold face and dittto and then inserting a suitable striker on the bit that carries the offset striker for the rimfire cartridge. For suitable plastic shot cups are avaliable in .38/.357 from Speer CCI.

45 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I've always had an inkling to see if these 9mm RF guns could be converted to centrefire and use .357 Maximum cases loaded with shot. Eley did make a centrefire shotgun cartridge for .36 calibre so why not. The work would need to be done on the bolt head a striker and would not at all be difficult as it is merely drilling a central hole in the bold face and dittto and then inserting a suitable striker on the bit that carries the offset striker for the rimfire cartridge. For suitable plastic shot cups are avaliable in .38/.357 from Speer CCI.

I used to use shot cartridges in a S&W Model 586 for ratting, back in the day. 
They were .38Special size, and the lower half of the case which held the primer was red plastic, and the upper half a clear blue plastic, through which could be seen the tiny shot. I can’t recall what make they were nor where we got them. 

3 hours ago, RCB56 said:

Ditchie, I just looked it up after your post and it say 9mm No3 garden gun and definitely not 3bore. So I believe we are correct in our understanding of shotgun bore sizes.

just googled it again and ican see where the mix up is ....the result comes up as ..9mm No 3 (Bore)

just shooting rats or pigeons off yer brussel sprouts with a true 3 Bore shotgun just wouldnt be sportsman like...:w00t:

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I used to use shot cartridges in a S&W Model 586 for ratting, back in the day. 
They were .38Special size, and the lower half of the case which held the primer was red plastic, and the upper half a clear blue plastic, through which could be seen the tiny shot. I can’t recall what make they were nor where we got them. 

That's the ones. 

On 10/12/2023 at 13:35, RCB56 said:

I’ve always understood them as a 3 bore tbf. Funny enough this topic came up on Saturday in the gun shop I use . The owner said 3bore but the lad in there said he thought the same as yourself. 

My first gun that wasn't an air gun was a 9mm garden gun, I seem to recall that the shot size was No. 12 dust shot but all I can see in 9mm now is No. 6 shot.

The little cartridges were presumably Nickel plated Brass as they were a silvery colour. A friend of mine has one, his cartridges are plain brass, it gets used around the farm as it does little damage to the buildings.

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/360-shotgun-shells/42883

Well of course it had a huge advantage, for the "punter" over the 9mm RF. TEAM TRACTOR's quoted "authority" is another of those internet experts! Not TT's fault and I don't post this in any way to disparage my fellow PW Member.

But to show that the internet is full of know nothing experts! LOL! And the author the Imperial War Museum no less! I will be writing to them as they should know better!

For the big advantage to the "punter" was that it was reloadable. Especially to bird collectors in distant places. This was a positive disadvantage of course to ammunition makers! So to them the 9mm RF was better as it couldn't be reloaded. 

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

Back in the 1970s there was a semi-auto model available. The late Andy Cochrane (gunmaker of Wisbech) lent one to my father to try out. We thought it was a bit of fun but not enough to actually buy.

Mid 80’s I had one - lost the bolt handle and had to use a screwdriver to cock it. 
Five round magazine, obv back before the ban. 
Had a bolt action one too. Don’t think I shot anything bigger than a fly

Edited by Jaymo

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

Back in the 1970s there was a semi-auto model available. The late Andy Cochrane (gunmaker of Wisbech) lent one to my father to try out. We thought it was a bit of fun but not enough to actually buy.

It Was a Bernadelli CF 9 with a 3 shot box mag , I have one minus the mag and a plate welded in to prevent one being fitted.

49 minutes ago, Andy H said:

It Was a Bernadelli CF 9 with a 3 shot box mag , I have one minus the mag and a plate welded in to prevent one being fitted.

God! I had one. On s1. With the magazine. Awful thing mine was as you'd get ejecta (mainly unburned powder) coming back at you out of the ejection port. Not nice at all. I sold it.