Holts Bargain

045210DF-E0CB-441E-8FD5-D1B730BC993E.jpeg.564eedbec1884ebbf3ea261c7ffc8b65.jpegJust picked up a bargain from Holts this morning, a J. Hobson 12 bore Side xSide eject in good condition. Nice tight action, well figured stock and unmarked bores, still has some of the colour case hardening all for the princely sum of £39 all in, just needs a better recoil pad and a bit of left hand cast 

image.jpg

image.jpg

8AAA30DB-2069-4F13-828E-23F80AB6933A.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by alan123shooting

hello, who would have thought that when i started shooting over 50 years ago these english guns were out of reach to buy for a lot of shooting people like me and a lot i knew , having to contend with a comparable Spanish offering like AYA, keep us posted on the clean up, There is a Holts Representative near me, do they sort a sale out for you and can they deliver to you ????

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I was in Holts in December to collect some gear and saw the unsold lots for as little as £1.30 all in. Having no space left for writing on my ticket and a full renewal due I managed to get out of the door without any more. 

Edited by Mable

It’s great that people are opting to buy and put these guns to use but sad that many once cherished guns have been so devalued. The whole steel shot mess isn’t helping . I’m considering a purchase from Holts unsold lots but it would cost as much to get it steel shot ready ,changing the chokes and possibly the forcing cones. An exemption for vintage guns allowing them to be used with lead shot for limited walked up shooting would be a welcome change and possibly result in the retention and use of these historic guns here in the U.K. where arguably they belong.

I managed to buy a 16 bore number 4 at a Yorkshire auction for around £120 I think and it had previously been unsold at Holts with a £500-£700 estimate a couple of years previously. It’s a delight to use and has perfect barrels though could do with a re blue 

Edited by Konor

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, who would have thought that when i started shooting over 50 years ago these english guns were out of reach to buy for a lot of shooting people like me and a lot i knew , having to contend with a comparable Spanish offering like AYA, keep us posted on the clean up, There is a Holts Representative near me, do they sort a sale out for you and can they deliver to you ????

You might be lucky Gordon if Holts will allow you to collect from one of their Valuation Days  - Suggest you contact Holts and ask? They have always been spot on with me!

3 minutes ago, CaptC said:

You might be lucky Gordon if Holts will allow you to collect from one of their Valuation Days  - Suggest you contact Holts and ask? They have always been spot on with me!

hello, it was just a thought as he is only a few miles away from me, 🤔 

I’ve had guns dropped off at Bisley at Braidwood when a Holts rep was travelling up to Scotland and I’ve also arranged pick up at the GWCT game fair at Scone Palace so there may be scope to do similar

1 hour ago, alan123shooting said:

045210DF-E0CB-441E-8FD5-D1B730BC993E.jpeg.564eedbec1884ebbf3ea261c7ffc8b65.jpegJust picked up a bargain from Holts this morning, a J. Hobson 12 bore Side xSide eject in good condition. Nice tight action, well figured stock and unmarked bores, still has some of the colour case hardening all for the princely sum of £39 all in, just needs a better recoil pad and a bit of left hand cast 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Alan did you by any chance  cast an eye over the Robinson box lock ejector that was in the unsold lots ?

15 minutes ago, Konor said:

I’ve had guns dropped off at Bisley at Braidwood when a Holts rep was travelling up to Scotland and I’ve also arranged pick up at the GWCT game fair at Scone Palace so there may be scope to do similar

Alan did you by any chance  cast an eye over the Robinson box lock ejector that was in the unsold lots ?

I’m afraid I didn’t,  I went purely  to look and purchase the Hobson if it had not been sold 

Well done BASC and its call for an end to steel shot. Law of unintended consequences. I got a 27" barrel AYA No4 in 12 bore (that's the rare length with 30" even less common as they did mostly 28" and also 26") for £55 plus commission at Southam's in December. The gun is mint.

AYA4.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Well done BASC. I got a 27" barrel AYA No4 in 12 bore (that's the rare length they did mostly 28" and 26") for £55 plus commission at Southam's in December. The gun is mint.

AYA4.jpg

We should have a whip round for BASC they are certainly delivering the goods 😂

1 hour ago, alan123shooting said:

I’m afraid I didn’t,  I went purely  to look and purchase the Hobson if it had not been sold 

Thanks for replying Alan 👍

3 hours ago, Konor said:

I am looking to approach Holts about selling some guns and was thinking about Scone, do you know if they take them as well as deliver.

9 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I am looking to approach Holts about selling some guns and was thinking about Scone, do you know if they take them as well as deliver.

They normally take them at the valuation days which are held all over , have a look on the website 

19 minutes ago, islandgun said:

It would be worth asking. The last gun I sent off to Holts I dropped off at one of their representative valuers near Langholm in the Borders. If Scone isn’t an option there may be a representative you could drop it off with en route to the Game Fair.

18 minutes ago, alan123shooting said:

They normally take them at the valuation days which are held all over , have a look on the website 

5 minutes ago, Konor said:

It would be worth asking. The last gun I sent off to Holts I dropped off at one of their representative valuers near Langholm in the Borders. If Scone isn’t an option there may be a representative you could drop it off with en route to the Game Fair.

Thanks both, I will make enquiries !

6 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A lovely gun. For £39?? Is unbelievable,  the history and heritage.  And when you pick it up  and shoulder it you know the work and quality that's in that gun. It will shoot all the game you can  fire at and again anyone coming after you.  Enjoy your new gun , and many a happy outings you will have with it.

10 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

A lovely gun. For £39?? Is unbelievable,  the history and heritage.  And when you pick it up  and shoulder it you know the work and quality that's in that gun. It will shoot all the game you can  fire at and again anyone coming after you.  Enjoy your new gun , and many a happy outings you will have with it.

Thank you, I will