Any wood turners on here please?

Eyefor

I have been given a piece of wood approx 12 x 12 x 4" that I am told is Lignum Vitae. Photos below.

It is very heavy and I would like it turned into a bowl.

Would anyone on here be able to do this please? I'm happy to pay for time, expense, materials used etc plus to & from post / Evri (I don't think even they can break this).

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5701.jpeg

IMG_5702.jpeg

Edited by Eyefor
Added text

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, looking at that split in the middle it might not be possible to turn a large bowl but a few smaller ones instead,

Thanks for the reply.

I would be happy to be guided by whoever undertakes the turning.

I have seen a few YouTube videos where the wood with splits is placed a resin and then turned - but I don't have a clue as to what are the rights & wrongs of wood turning.

20 hours ago, team tractor said:

My dad would do this if you ever pass Tamworth staffs 👍

Thanks for the offer. I'm happy to post/Evri courier it to you and the arrange collection?

Would that work for you please?

Ship builders used lignum vitae for stern gland bearings on the ships prop shafts. The bearings were made so that a small amount of sea water leaked through and reduced the friction between the wood and the shaft.

Just cutting a circular block out of the blank will blunt the teeth of even the best band saw blade. To machine a bowl from it you will need an engineering lathe and cutting tools. Wood turning chisels are not designed to cut wood this dense and will loose their edge within seconds of touching the wood.

On most modern wood lathes the head bearing are not robust enough to take the spinning momentum of this heavy wood.

Just drill a clearance hole in the edge and try and put a screw in it. I say the edge as you will likely snap the screw in the wood.

If you decide to use the wood just be careful as it is very unforgiving and you can break tools and hurt yourself if you treat it like a normal hardwood.

2 hours ago, Stuarta said:

Ship builders used lignum vitae for stern gland bearings on the ships prop shafts. The bearings were made so that a small amount of sea water leaked through and reduced the friction between the wood and the shaft.

Just cutting a circular block out of the blank will blunt the teeth of even the best band saw blade. To machine a bowl from it you will need an engineering lathe and cutting tools. Wood turning chisels are not designed to cut wood this dense and will loose their edge within seconds of touching the wood.

On most modern wood lathes the head bearing are not robust enough to take the spinning momentum of this heavy wood.

Just drill a clearance hole in the edge and try and put a screw in it. I say the edge as you will likely snap the screw in the wood.

If you decide to use the wood just be careful as it is very unforgiving and you can break tools and hurt yourself if you treat it like a normal hardwood.

this..............mate used to work on kings lynn docks...and he was allowed to take the lignum vitae shortplanksof wood.....he made rabbit hutches and breed white rabbits for the local butcher ...i remember helping him to make the hutches,,,,you could not cut it or knock a nail in it or a screw...to nail it you had to drill a hole first ...

seriously hard wood

at one time they used to make bearings for the straw walkers on combines  out of it...stuarta is spot on when he says "treat it as a metal"

Looks like it will be well worth the effort if you can get it done. 

11 hours ago, Stuarta said:

Interesting stuff. 

Sounds like my rubber volvo stern gland is a bit lightweight 😁

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the above.

First of all a big THANK YOU to Team Tractor for the offer of assistance with the wooden block and, secondly, an ever bigger THANK YOU to TT's Dad for turning the wooden block into the beautiful bowl as pics attached.

The consensus is that whilst the wood was "as hard as steel" and regularly blunted the turning tools, it is probably not Lignum Vitae, but Iroko. The crack in the block did continue through to the core but, to me, that just adds character and does not detract from the bowls purpose.

I am humbled by the skills. I am very grateful and I hope TT's Dad enjoys the well deserved beer or three.

Bowl 1.jpeg

Bowl 2.jpeg

Bowl 3.jpeg

Bowl 4.jpeg

Bowl 5.jpeg

Bowl 6.jpeg

On 17/01/2024 at 11:09, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, looking at that split in the middle it might not be possible to turn a large bowl but a few smaller ones instead,

As he said. My late grandfather did bowl turning and made furniture also. Lignum vitae was also used in best quality woods (as in bowling). 

Edited by enfieldspares