Jump to content

Online renewal


Recommended Posts

I completed a renewal for a chap at work who had no idea how to drive a computer whatsoever. 

It was not too difficult but for those who have trouble with forms i can understand it to be quite a task. I know some who have not bothered, with the online application being given for not bothering. 

Having said that, and as i helped this chap out, he was given a rather stern warning and was told he was close to having his license revoked because someone else had helped him fill his application in. I was spoken to and asked why i had completed his application, the explanation was exactly as stated earlier, this chap doesn't have a phone able to take pictures or even connect to the internet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I completed a renewal for a chap at work who had no idea how to drive a computer whatsoever. 

It was not too difficult but for those who have trouble with forms i can understand it to be quite a task. I know some who have not bothered, with the online application being given for not bothering. 

Having said that, and as i helped this chap out, he was given a rather stern warning and was told he was close to having his license revoked because someone else had helped him fill his application in. I was spoken to and asked why i had completed his application, the explanation was exactly as stated earlier, this chap doesn't have a phone able to take pictures or even connect to the internet. 

why didn't he/you just print them off as hard copies then and do it the old fashioned way😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Lewi76 said:

Yes but it didn’t ask for my sgc number only details of weapons held

 

to be quite honest i can't recall having to put my FAC or SGC certificate numbers on any of the forms,just the firearms i held and any rifles to be acquired.🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

why didn't he/you just print them off as hard copies then and do it the old fashioned way😁

Exactly what I did last renewal (2020). 
I am useless with computers. 
But once I got someone else to print off the forms for me I was back in my comfort zone (20th Century) and could proceed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

why didn't he/you just print them off as hard copies then and do it the old fashioned way😁

Probably because that option has been removed?

My local force (Avon and Somerset) removed the pdf application form that you could print from their website.

Apparently they will still reluctantly furnish you with the pdf to print out & complete, but I can understand their reticence. Paying someone to manually input these things on 2024 is hardly a sensible use of resources.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Probably because that option has been removed?

My local force (Avon and Somerset) removed the pdf application form that you could print from their website.

Apparently they will still reluctantly furnish you with the pdf to print out & complete, but I can understand their reticence. Paying someone to manually input these things on 2024 is hardly a sensible use of resources.

 

i totally agree,however,not everyone,as can quite clearly be seen in this thread can get their heads round this new fangled computer stuff😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

why didn't he/you just print them off as hard copies then and do it the old fashioned way😁

He was told that it was not an option, and as i have still 2 years to renew mine i was not even aware of the online process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2024 at 21:01, Dougy said:

I completed a renewal for a chap at work who had no idea how to drive a computer whatsoever. 

It was not too difficult but for those who have trouble with forms i can understand it to be quite a task. I know some who have not bothered, with the online application being given for not bothering. 

Having said that, and as i helped this chap out, he was given a rather stern warning and was told he was close to having his license revoked because someone else had helped him fill his application in. I was spoken to and asked why i had completed his application, the explanation was exactly as stated earlier, this chap doesn't have a phone able to take pictures or even connect to the internet. 

It's what it is, and no doubt we'll all have to do it online in the future, but I think it's a step backwards . . .

I did exactly the same for a friend who doesn't have a computer.  It wasn't really a problem in the sense that he just came round to my house, I did it with him and it all went smoothly, BUT I had to ask him all the personal questions that were none of my business. As it happens, no health issues and  no problems with the police, but this is personal information that people who don't know how to use a computer shouldn't have to share with anyone except firearms licensing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/01/2024 at 21:31, Zoli 12 guage said:

i totally agree,however,not everyone,as can quite clearly be seen in this thread can get their heads round this new fangled computer stuff😬

new fangled? been common place for 30 years.   people cant use computers but yet post on here 50 times a day.

cannot see the sense in using a computer to print off hard copies, then fill them in in scrawling handwriting, go to the post office, take 3 days to get to destination for someone to have to open it, decipher the handwriting then manually input it all back into a computer.

if its available to do online get it done. People are in the queue behind you and the turnaround time is long enough as it is.

Edited by Sweet11-87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

new fangled? been common place for 30 years.   people cant use computers but yet post on here 50 times a day.

cannot see the sense in using a computer to print off hard copies, then fill them in in scrawling handwriting, go to the post office, take 3 days to get to destination for someone to have to open it, decipher the handwriting then manually input it all back into a computer.

if its available to do online get it done. People are in the queue behind you and the turnaround time is long enough as it is.

There a big difference between having a bit of banter on a forum and filling in a firearms renewal or application. 

Not sure if you have read any of the earlier posts but failing to complete the form correctly may result in a delay or having your license revoked. 

For some people regardless of age they are not comfortable filling in forms, i'm one of those and all i do all day is sit in front of screens creating and populate spread sheets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

There a big difference between having a bit of banter on a forum and filling in a firearms renewal or application. 

Not sure if you have read any of the earlier posts but failing to complete the form correctly may result in a delay or having your license revoked. 

For some people regardless of age they are not comfortable filling in forms, i'm one of those and all i do all day is sit in front of screens creating and populate spread sheets. 

exactly this.

i'm lucky as it doesn't bother me doing it either way but not no everyone is ok with adding attachments/photos/documents to an electronic form but everyone can write and lick a stamp.

4 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

new fangled? been common place for 30 years.   people cant use computers but yet post on here 50 times a day.

cannot see the sense in using a computer to print off hard copies, then fill them in in scrawling handwriting, go to the post office, take 3 days to get to destination for someone to have to open it, decipher the handwriting then manually input it all back into a computer.

if its available to do online get it done. People are in the queue behind you and the turnaround time is long enough as it is.

you're having a giraffe obviously.

posting on here is now't like filling in an electronic/online form.

oh,and the "new fangled" bit was in relation to some licencing authorities doing away with the "posting" option.

Edited by Zoli 12 guage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...