Here comes the narrative for taxing/taking your homes!

discobob

10 minutes ago, steve1066 said:

Ask my wife who cleans our house😂

but a lot of old folk might not just want to move they have been in and used too that house nearly all there life's 

And you can clean a spare bedroom when somebody comes to stay ?. lol 

Another *** crisis. Having no food, being in an earthquake, war, are examples of a crisis. If you have a big house its because you earned it [or inherited it] feel free to live in it, without guilt until your heart stops or until you want to sell up and buy something else

3 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Which is exactly what the elderly are buying to "Downsize"

correct

8 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Another *** crisis. Having no food, being in an earthquake, war, are examples of a crisis. If you have a big house its because you earned it [or inherited it] feel free to live in it, without guilt until your heart stops or until you want to sell up and buy something else

correct

The Royals must be the biggest empty bedroom owners in the country by a country mile.  I wonder if they will be targeted🤣

5 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

The Royals must be the biggest empty bedroom owners in the country by a country mile.  I wonder if they will be targeted🤣

Do they own the houses they live in ? .....plenty of rooms there for some deserving types.😉

10 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Do they own the houses they live in ? .....plenty of rooms there for some deserving types.😉

They privately own Sandringham and Balmoral.  The rest they don't as such but the rights of residency are passed between Monarchs.  They pay no compulsory tax of any kind.

The Monarch is not legally liable to pay income tax, capital gains tax or inheritance tax because the relevant enactments do not apply to the Crown. The same is true for the income from the Duchy of Cornwall which is paid to The Prince of Wales. 

On 27/02/2024 at 19:03, Weihrauch17 said:

They privately own Sandringham and Balmoral.  The rest they don't as such but the rights of residency are passed between Monarchs.  They pay no compulsory tax of any kind.

The Monarch is not legally liable to pay income tax, capital gains tax or inheritance tax because the relevant enactments do not apply to the Crown. The same is true for the income from the Duchy of Cornwall which is paid to The Prince of Wales. 

Well its collected by HMRC. His Majesty's Revenue and Customs so 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I'm guessing The King Is on the same deal The Queen had. In that the Duchy of Lancaster pays some of its income to the Treasury and then the Treasury gives a small proportion back to cover official business by certain Royals. The Sovereign Grant.The Queen also volunteered to pay tax at the higher rate on all her income didn't she? 

I still think for £1.29/person/year we get a good deal.

We'd like to downsize - just the two of us (no kids, no one to choose our old people's home), aged mid 60s, nice 4 bed detached house nice area - we'd like a two bed bungalow with a double garage, we have been looking for years....like rocking horse droppings for rarity.

On 01/03/2024 at 07:57, Cosmicblue said:

We'd like to downsize - just the two of us (no kids, no one to choose our old people's home), aged mid 60s, nice 4 bed detached house nice area - we'd like a two bed bungalow with a double garage, we have been looking for years....like rocking horse droppings for rarity.

If you can't find what you would like - build it? It is what we have just done and we're both now over 70.

It took us years to find a suitable plot and we're now in year 6 of a 2 year plan (blame Covid & extra Planning applications as we kept changing our minds) plus the original budget was truly busted - but we have enjoyed the journey and would definitely do it again.

On 01/03/2024 at 07:57, Cosmicblue said:

Funnily enough 2 bed bungalows don’t tend to get built alongside a double garage! Although you see plenty of bungalows sat on large plots so no reason you couldn’t find a bungalow with the room to build a double garage. 
As it goes what you’re after would be my ideal requirements too if I were in your position (would hate to give up my double garage). 

The shortage of bungalows (two beds , or more) seems to be a very regional problem.
They are readily available in southern counties, especially within 30 miles of the coast.

If your "new" bungalow has the room, its surprisingly cheap to have a (portable) two car garage erected.
Mine was the concrete slab type, erected on a concrete base, corrugated pitch roof and (choice of colour) pebble dash outside.
As mine was detached, I didn't even need planning permission.

Edited by Cranfield