Grass

billytheghillie

1 hour ago, Minky said:

Really needed a week of sunshine. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Don't we all, Spain might be nice.

Yep.  It's just what we all need,  and to remedy this we're booked up for a fortnight out in Costa Adege Tenerife.  The problem is that I can't bag some sunshine and bring it back with me.  What I can't get over is when we do eventually get some hot weather then the amount of people that moan and groan about it being too hot and how they can't put up with it. Mother in law was like that.  Moan, moan , moan.  Put the cold garden hose on her.  Roll on global warming. Oh I forgot we'll be under a hosepipe ban.  And then when the sun has gone down we can all look forward to five months of cold wet horrible  miserable weather. 

Edited by Minky

22 minutes ago, Minky said:

we do eventually get some hot weather then the amount of people that moan and groan about it being too hot and how they can't put up with it

I'm on that list, but overalls and boots don't go well with hot weather. 

Meanwhile it's absolutely lashing it down,  sounds like my caravan is being let washed and I'll need my wellies to walk back from the car!!

Sunny Spain,  if only 👍

It's the hosepipe bans that get me.  Out abroad is is hot and and  dry yet they use water like we don't. They don't use a two bob 20mm hose It's like a BIG HOSE on the car and the water is FLOWING DOWN THE ROAD.

9 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I'm on that list, but overalls and boots don't go well with hot weather. 

Meanwhile it's absolutely lashing it down,  sounds like my caravan is being let washed and I'll need my wellies to walk back from the car!!

Sunny Spain,  if only 👍

You'll need waders and a boat. 

Just now, London Best said:

The best thing about the U.K. is the weather

In a sense - you are right.  The 'wet' is necessary to support the green and wooded landscape that the UK should be.  Woodland is now much depleted compared to how it once was, but we are still pretty 'green' in the botanical sense.

Personally, whilst I like it reasonably dry and warm (65º to 75º is ideal), I intensely dislike it very hot, and can tolerate the cold to the extent we get it in the UK (although the much increased cost of keeping warm indoors is not helping there).

Locally, we have several roads that flood and get closed.  There have been a mass of complaints due to the frequent closures, flooding being cited as the main cause.  Well I have lived here (or very near) most of my life and it has always flooded in winter (and sometimes in summer).  The roads have been closed more in recent times, but mainly because;

• There have been many weeks of closure due to a new housing estate and the road closed to lay drains under it - and a separate closure for gas mains.
  • That was followed by a second long closure when the work carried out failed (subsidence of the tarmac) almost immediately and had to be made good and surface relayed
  • The water rises MUCH faster due to huge run-off due to the greatly increased impervious surfaces.  Many of the old 'ditches were piped and covered over in the 1960s, but the pipes are now too small for the volume of fast run off and the access covers lift and spew out the water.
  • Many remaining ditches are in poor condition.  The farmers used to clear these, but the costs are now huge and any work requires a closure order, advised weeks in advance ..... etc.  Our local farmers used to use a spare day when there wasn't much on to do a bit of ditching now and again as time allowed.  They can't do that now.

21 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Well, done a bit of scarifying today and the plan was-- tomorrow, get ride-on out and lift dead moss and top grass, **** law its peeing it down now!

This forum like the rest of the world has gone too PC, crazy. I know it has a swear filter but since when did  S*& O "£ D _)& S &*^  law become a inappropriate word, saying. 

Grass has to be dry - or else it is a booger to roll (Rizla paper gets wet) and impossible to light 😉

On a serious note - hoping next week is as dry as the app is saying and will be a number of cuts over a couple of days to get it down

my lawnmower, a Viking, is awesome though… hovers it up and never clumps as long as it isn’t soaking wet and several inches long

19 minutes ago, discobob said:

Grass has to be dry - or else it is a booger to roll (Rizla paper gets wet) and impossible to light 😉

On a serious note - hoping next week is as dry as the app is saying and will be a number of cuts over a couple of days to get it down

my lawnmower, a Viking, is awesome though… hovers it up and never clumps as long as it isn’t soaking wet and several inches long

My mower would sink in the quagmire that is my garden.

Finally gave mine its first cut on Thursday last. Showed how bad the moss was underneath.  Sprayed all the weeds and grass I dont want growing Yesterdy and my next aim is to get the 3 in 1 mosss feed and weed stuff and get that down as well.  My ground is still very very wet after all the rain in recent weeks.  Never mind though once its rotovated in the coming weeks it will drain off better.  Oh by the way, the new motor mower I got last year has performed brilliantly It is one of the ones from Aldi's.

Pushkin:good:

32 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

I put the charger and topped up the fuel in the ride-on yesterday.

Snap.

Today it is not actually raining, but still much too wet.

It usually starts reasonably easily (Kohler engine), but not yet tried that.