Warning, if it can happen, it WILL happen!

I know I posted about this some 10 years ago, but it bears a reminder. This is a 1.2aH battery, easy to carry, runs a flapper all day. However, the terminals can just short across the base of a (live) 12 bore cartridge. So what I hear you say but it happened to me when I was doing 70mph in the middle lane of a 3-lane road. And the result? Full detonation of the cartridge and lead shot rattling round in the cab of my truck! Very scary!

With no barrel to contain the blast, little damage was done other to a cardboard box and my hearing! However, if it happened in a person's pocket??

Cheers!

IMG_20240306_115856_3.jpg

I stick some tape over the terminals of mine when it melted the inside of my coffee flask. It had shorted across the metal outside, welding itself onto it and melted the inner plastic cup. 3 inch of electrical tape sorts the issue or if your **** a nice little holder. 

I bet that was entertaining as you drove. ...

I inadvertently dropped a small bundle of fine wire wool onto the terminals of a similar battery in the shed and was surprised that the wool instantly caught fire. Not easy to put out on the spur of the moment ???
Fairly obvious I suppose but not something that I had thought of previously.

OB

A similar thing happened many moons ago i was in a minivan where the battery was behind the driver's seat  we was going digging the driver hit the breaks and the shovel slid forwards and crossed the terminals and set fire to the van never got out of a vehicle so quick in my life  

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I inadvertently dropped a small bundle of fine wire wool onto the terminals of a similar battery in the shed and was surprised that the wool instantly caught fire. Not easy to put out on the spur of the moment ???
Fairly obvious I suppose but not something that I had thought of previously.

OB

These things happen from time to time Chris , slight dip in concentration :lol: 

I got a funny smell in my other motor when I put the metal dogs bowel in the back of the motor and it just so happened to land on top the battery terminals , needless to say a lot of smell and a scorch mark on the bowel but no harm done .    MM

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

These things happen from time to time Chris , slight dip in concentration :lol: 

I got a funny smell in my other motor when I put the metal dogs bowel in the back of the motor and it just so happened to land on top the battery terminals , needless to say a lot of smell and a scorch mark on the bowel but no harm done .    MM

Hope your bowel is ok now!

Going sea fishing with a mate he had a 6v battery for his head torch in his coat pocket. As we were driving along he started bashing his side and shouting I'm on fire, a KitKat which was in same pocket shorted out on battery terminals. But as for a cartridge going off that's as you say scary.

It used to get taught by Leicestershire Fire and Rescue on their training days for work place Fire Prevention Officers. I remember going on one. They'd take wire wool (using it as they explained as if it was a discarded Brillo pad) and throw it into a waste bin as if a cleaner had used it. They'd then then drop a standard normal 9 volt battery into the middle of it. Didn't take long before the waste bin was well alight and burning well.

Edited by enfieldspares