Keeping horses off saplings?

sandspider

Hi folks

I've planted some willow, poplar etc. saplings around my fence. Recently the owner of the neighbouring paddock (hur) has put a couple of horses in it, and they've started leaning over the fence and eating the grass and my saplings. They're not bothered by the top strand of barbed wire at all. I suppose I could get an electric fence and put a strand outside the wire, but I'm hoping there's a cheaper / easier / less stealable way to deter them... Any ideas?

Thanks.

28 minutes ago, holloway said:

Usually a sign that they haven't enough to eat on there own side ,maybe tell the horse owner they are poisonous  trees and your worried they might get sick electric probably your best bet 👍

Thanks. It's actually a decent sized paddock with plenty of grass and interesting plants and trees to eat. But I suppose the grass is greener on my side! Owner isn't bothered, but did say I could put an elec fence up at my cost if I wanted to. Was hoping to avoid that if possible, but may have to.

30 minutes ago, JDog said:

Move the saplings.

Can't do that, as I want them just behind the fence as a windbreak. I suppose the willows will coppice and survive.

Could you not just add a wire, or timber bar, to the top of the fence to stop the horses leaning over ? Either make it higher or angled, like the top of tall wire fences along railway lines ?

29 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Tell the owners to improve their fence or to put an electric fence 6 feet their side of the fence.

This ^^^^^^ then send them a bill for damage to trees and use the money plant a yew hedge 

yew clippings are sought after for making a drug used in cancer treatment 

3 hours ago, sandspider said:

Hi folks

I've planted some willow, poplar etc. saplings around my fence. Recently the owner of the neighbouring paddock (hur) has put a couple of horses in it, and they've started leaning over the fence and eating the grass and my saplings. They're not bothered by the top strand of barbed wire at all. I suppose I could get an electric fence and put a strand outside the wire, but I'm hoping there's a cheaper / easier / less stealable way to deter them... Any ideas?

Thanks.

I would approach the livery yard 1st, mention about the horses eating your saplings. i wouldn't say that the saplings you mention are poisonous because they are not ,you will just end up looking silly. If they are approachable (50% of this is you also need to be you too) ask if they have a length of electric fencing you can borrow and a unit with battery.  Place a boom out towards the field with the fence on, this will prevent them leaning over. 

5 hours ago, sandspider said:

I've planted some willow, poplar etc. saplings around my fence.

What species does "etc" include?     If horse owners discover that there are sycamore saplings, they may want to keep their animals well away.

It is the horse owners responsibility to fence their animals in, in a way that they cannot cause damage to others property as owners, they are liable for any damage caused.

Make them aware that the cost of replacing the damaged saplings is X  in writing and that you expect them to pay for it if it continues.

If they are friendly neighbours, they should respect you and run their own top wire electric fence, problem solved.

Approach your neighbours in a friendly manner and have a chat to make them aware of the situation and the damage that is occurring along with ideas on how it can be avoided, after all they may be totally oblivious and once aware keen to help. Approach it in a positive manner and give them a chance. Keep it factual.

We have heavy horses on our own land and even though they have grass (btw too much spring grass can potentially be dangerous to horses*) at this time of year they will help themselves to the young, tender leaves on our own hedges, it’s just what they and their ancestors did to vary their nutritional intake. 

*Laminitis. 

16 hours ago, JKD said:

Could you not just add a wire, or timber bar, to the top of the fence to stop the horses leaning over ? Either make it higher or angled, like the top of tall wire fences along railway lines ?

Thanks for the thoughts, all. I'll try and answer them one by one. There's already a barbed strand along the top of the fence, the horses don't care! I could add timber, but to make it strong enough and tall enough to deter them would cost more than electric fencing, I suspect.

16 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Tell the owners to improve their fence or to put an electric fence 6 feet their side of the fence.

When the previous owners of our house bought the paddock from the neighbours, they took on the fencing liability, but didn't actually fence it -so we inherited the issue. I've mentioned it to the owners before, they've never shown any inclination to help besides saying I can put up an elec fence if I want. Having said that, they had a diffeent manager at the time so probably worth asking again.

15 hours ago, Old farrier said:

This ^^^^^^ then send them a bill for damage to trees and use the money plant a yew hedge 

yew clippings are sought after for making a drug used in cancer treatment 

They have no money! And I'm trying to keep them sweetish, at least - they can be useful sometimes.

14 hours ago, Dougy said:

I would approach the livery yard 1st, mention about the horses eating your saplings. i wouldn't say that the saplings you mention are poisonous because they are not ,you will just end up looking silly. If they are approachable (50% of this is you also need to be you too) ask if they have a length of electric fencing you can borrow and a unit with battery.  Place a boom out towards the field with the fence on, this will prevent them leaning over. 

I've not planted anything poisonous there, but don't know what might grow there... I'll mention this, and can't hurt to contact them again, see if they have a fence I can borrow. As above, I'm trying to be decent about it so we can maintain decent relationships.

12 hours ago, McSpredder said:

What species does "etc" include?     If horse owners discover that there are sycamore saplings, they may want to keep their animals well away.

I've planted willow, eucalyptus, elder, alder, poplar, fruit trees... No sycamore that I've put in myself, but we do have sycamore and laburnum around - both of which are poisonous to horses I think.

11 hours ago, Stonepark said:

It is the horse owners responsibility to fence their animals in, in a way that they cannot cause damage to others property as owners, they are liable for any damage caused.

Make them aware that the cost of replacing the damaged saplings is X  in writing and that you expect them to pay for it if it continues.

If they are friendly neighbours, they should respect you and run their own top wire electric fence, problem solved.

As above, I fear the previous owners of our house took on the fencing liability. I will ask again and hope to get a more positive response.

2 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

Approach your neighbours in a friendly manner and have a chat to make them aware of the situation and the damage that is occurring along with ideas on how it can be avoided, after all they may be totally oblivious and once aware keen to help. Approach it in a positive manner and give them a chance. Keep it factual.

We have heavy horses on our own land and even though they have grass (btw too much spring grass can potentially be dangerous to horses*) at this time of year they will help themselves to the young, tender leaves on our own hedges, it’s just what they and their ancestors did to vary their nutritional intake. 

*Laminitis. 

Will do, thanks.

Laburnum is bad enough if horses can reach it but they wont often touch it due to the very bitter taste. Yew berry's when ripe are sweet tasting and not toxic, that is the only part that isnt, the seed and everything else is though. I've known cattle turn toes up after eating Yew clipping that someone threw over a hedge. 

As you stated have another chat, the nicer approach is always the best option, and ive often found, easier too.👍

20 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Laburnum is bad enough if horses can reach it but they wont often touch it due to the very bitter taste. Yew berry's when ripe are sweet tasting and not toxic, that is the only part that isnt, the seed and everything else is though. I've known cattle turn toes up after eating Yew clipping that someone threw over a hedge. 

As you stated have another chat, the nicer approach is always the best option, and ive often found, easier too.👍

When i was working as a stalker at Rannoch after a bad snow fall we found a couple of red deer stags dead at a yew tree 

Rhododendrons are bad news for horses as is Yew, Privet, Box, Laburnum, Sycamore, Maple, Acers and others. Even oak and acorns can cause issues such as colic if eaten in large quantities.

Friends have had horses keel over after ingesting grass cuttings from mowing lawns thrown into their paddocks by neighbours.