Anyone else remember?

DUNKS

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gordon Bennett............................

I knew a Lady in Swaffham, MANY years ago  

yes you have said that before ....and we didnt pay any attention.........and we all advised you to take penicillin

I’m the grand old age of 63 now 👴🏻

I remember the coal man, the pop man, the van that came round that sold everything, the milkman with horse and cart.

When I was around 8/9 we used to go the tip because Rowntree Macintosh used to tip sweets there that weren’t up to scratch but still in Wrappers.

In the holidays living in Norfolk we would be up and out the house before 8 and be back around 6 for tea.

Different world 😔

:shaun:

9 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

I remember the coal man, the pop man, the van that came round that sold everything, the milkman with horse and cart.

When I was around 8/9 we used to go the tip because Rowntree Macintosh used to tip sweets there that weren’t up to scratch but still in Wrappers.

In the holidays living in Norfolk we would be up and out the house before 8 and be back around 6 for tea.

Different world 😔

When you get to a age where you can look back in life it just goes to show how much the world have changed in a very short time , one thing that do stick out which have been a big part of my life is farming and the gear to run a farm , years ago I thought they can't advance a lot more than how the machinery was then , how wrong was I .      MM

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

When you get to a age where you can look back in life it just goes to show how much the world have changed in a very short time , one thing that do stick out which have been a big part of my life is farming and the gear to run a farm , years ago I thought they can't advance a lot more than how the machinery was then , how wrong was I .      MM

i remember as a young lad ...with my mate the farmers son ...trawling over the beet field with a small tractor and trailer...(super dexter and wooden bottomed weeks trailer)

picking up missed sugar beet with a beet hook ...choppingthe top off and chucking it in thetrailer................how the hell i never cut my fingers off at 11 years old ..i will never know

13 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

The coal man was a small lorry (Bedford?), the pop man Corona, The van that sold everything (hardware, paraffin etc.) was Giles of Winchcombe, the milkman was a "Morrison Electric" float and was Granger's dairies.

We also had a fruit and veg van - (name forgotten), Taylor's Fish and Chips, Davenports Beer at Home, John Walker - Mobile Butcher, Draper's Bakery - and no doubt others I have forgotten.

We also had both ******** (Clean Easy) and Bettaware reps who called and took orders, and delivered a few weeks later.

Edited by JohnfromUK

We also had an insurance chap come to ours , he was on a loser as we had very little to insure and my mother had no money to pay him anyway so it was often a wasted journey , but you know what insurance companies are like , they will just not give up trying to get something out of you , :lol:

I remember a week off school for potato picking and mangle chopping "whatever that was" I never went! Also Devonports beer at home van and the man from the PRU  collecting pennies every week. Shipstones brewery was not far away and we used to see the horse drawn cart returning to base after a busy day delivering barrels of ale to pubs, with both drivers nissed as pewts. The horses knew their way back home.

I recall accompanying my older brother (who was 10), potato picking, at the age of 6.

I lasted a day, and I think was paid 1d. My brother did the week and I believe got 2 shillings.

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

Well remember loading bales by hand onto a four wheel trailer, pitchfork when they got higher, the stacker would stay on the trailer for the ride home, he would get bashed by low branches along the road, The smell of the first cut of hay, "ladies" coming to pick spuds and peas, bale hide and decoys on the clover in the winter, a million gulls following the plough, stubble burning, lines made in the spring when rolling the winter wheat, and the dust off the same wheat after a long day combining without a cab. The very best way to spend your time as a teen

On 18/04/2024 at 11:08, marsh man said:

You sounded if you lived next door to me in the mid 50s , although we never had a horse drawn milk cart but we did have an old four wheel barrow that the milkman pushed around the streets in all weather , yes we had the coalman bring us a cwt of coal on his back down our narrow passage , the dustbin men with the galvanised bath on there heads ,the chap on his bike to sharpen your shears , the chimney sweep who had a trailer on the back of his bike , he would sweep your chimney and it took a week to clear the soot up . You are the only one who seemed to remember the old penny gas meter that you put a penny in the slot on the top and wound the lever round until the penny dropped to the bottom of the meter , what about the ole linen mangles with the big wooden rollers ? Also at the end of our road we had an emergency phone box with a Blue light on the top , now that is going back a bit :lol:

and the coalman was Futters no doubt..

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

and the coalman was Futters no doubt..

No the coalman worked for Bessey and Palmer , he had an ole Hillman Huskey and it ran on B P petrol , think about it , I told you we were a rough ole lot over on the island :lol:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

No the coalman worked for Bessey and Palmer , he had an ole Hillman Huskey and it ran on B P petrol , think about it , I told you we were a rough ole lot over on the island 

you ever use the chip shop in cobholm ?

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you ever use the chip shop in cobholm ?

At one time we had four all going at the same time in Cobholm , my mum had six kids and although we had next to nothing as far as money was concerned we used to have fish and chips on virtually every Friday night , the best one ( Brewers ) were 4d for the chips and 9d for the fish so we could get fish and chips for 8 people for less than a quid , although that pound note was a lot a money at the time , now it is small change in your pocket .   MM

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

At one time we had four all going at the same time in Cobholm , my mum had six kids and although we had next to nothing as far as money was concerned we used to have fish and chips on virtually every Friday night , the best one ( Brewers ) were 4d for the chips and 9d for the fish so we could get fish and chips for 8 people for less than a quid , although that pound note was a lot a money at the time , now it is small change in your pocket .   MM

Brewers ended up  with a stall on the market

didnt have far to walk for the chippy as i lived on Mill road opposite the chapel

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

Brewers ended up  with a stall on the market

didnt have far to walk for the chippy as i lived on Mill road opposite the chapel

Thought you where going to say you where the Hovis boy and still had the bike ? LOL .I am 62 but must be a youngster compared to you  lot 

On 19/04/2024 at 00:02, shaun4860 said:

Different world 😔

Hello, i can say the same, around 7/8/9 i use to spend all day out in the fields and woods at the back of our house on the hill, there use to be a small farm owned by an elderly farmer and his wife, mostly Dairy , spent a lot of time in holidays there helping to muck out , oh happy days

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

5 hours ago, dainty duck said:

5s and 3s round this area , but when I was working down Birmingham way they had dominos that went up to double 9!

you needed hands like coal shovels just to hold em LOL

My grand parents had a set of dominoes that went up to double 9

Made from ivory and ebony.

God knows where they ended up?

I remember a story that grandad came in drunk one night to an argument over the dominoes and threw the lot in the coal fire, they all got rescued but a few were singed 🤦🏻‍♂️

:shaun:

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

4 fish and chip shops all trading at the same time.............where were they >?:w00t: