Best second hand PCP?

wildfowler.250

Folks I’m going to move across from my weihrauch springer to a pcp. I just think I’ll get more accuracy at longer distances and a quieter gun so will probably use it more. Loathed to fork out lots. Maybe £700 at a guess. I have scopes I can use so really it’s rifle and dive tank.

What rifle would you suggest? I like the look of the HW 100 but are air arms or bsa better? I think the HW has a small ish tank.

i basically want a buy once, cry once multi shot. It won’t be used a lot but it won’t go wrong either.

ive thought about buying a silencer for the 77K and having it serviced but the silencer alone is about £90 and I suspect it still won’t be able to match a pcp as good as it is .

Appreciate any opinions!

Cant go wrong with a hw100. the shot count isnt up there with the bottle guns but even in .177 carbine i get 4 mags (56 shots) before i need to refill, thats in sub 12ftlb, if you are after fac then a bsa r10 would be the one to go for.

I'd agree on the HW100. I've got a full length one in .177, and although heavy [but well balanced] I get along fine with it and never had any issues in over 10 years of use. If weight is an issue, the K version would suit you better.

3 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

but an inferior loading system 

Hello, Nothing wrong with the loading of a Air Arms S410 , The magazines are good if you look after them, easy to load,easy to locate in breach, i had a 410 and shot 100s if not a few 1000s  of pellets over 5/6 years and never had any problems, 

18 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Nothing wrong with the loading of a Air Arms S410 , The magazines are good if you look after them, easy to load,easy to locate in breach, i had a 410 and shot 100s if not a few 1000s  of pellets over 5/6 years and never had any problems, 

but it's not a biathlon lever is it.

which is a better/faster/smoother system

8 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

What rifle would you suggest? I like the look of the HW 100 but are air arms or bsa better? I think the HW has a small ish tank.

Everyone will say what they like,  Airguns don't seem to be selling that well at the moment so I'd say it's a buyers market. 

I'd try and see what's local, find a couple if you can and shoulder them, you'll find one that fits and others that don't. 

I'd add the R10 Mk11 into the mix, you'll pick one up for 4-500.

See what's about then ask what follk think of the price.

I MUCH prefer a rear bolt to a side lever .biathlon  style or a simple straight lever 

For me a bolt to the rear is in exactly the correct place for the hand to come up out of the trigger guard with no reach forward to a side lever .some side levers are so far forward you have to totally un shoulder the gun to reach forward to them .daystates are like this .

57 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Quite agree! Easy magazine to load and it simply slots into place

Cheers folks for all the replies! I’m very tempted by the BSA R10. Or would you say air arms are generally better?

Are there any reputable airgun shops in England? Doesn’t seem to be much in Scotland. Might get a better price private but a shop might throw some warranty in

37 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers folks for all the replies! I’m very tempted by the BSA R10. Or would you say air arms are generally better?

Are there any reputable airgun shops in England? Doesn’t seem to be much in Scotland. Might get a better price private but a shop might throw some warranty in

Hello, Where are you situated in UK ?? , The BSA R 10 i had in MK 1 and it never let me down, as same with an AA S410, both in 22, From my first PCP some 20 years ago with a Falcon Light Hunter , Most PCPs will give years of service if they are looked after and maintained well, ask Logunater on here who serviced my FX MK 1 22 Verminator He knows good from bad with PCPs

1 hour ago, wildfowler.250 said:

I wouldn't part with my R10, I was looking at the AA410, tried them both then an R10 package came up very cheap, I much prefer the position of the bolt with the R10, the 510 side lever might be a whole other ball game?

I'd also say the R10 is a more solid gun, but some have had reg issues,  since mine was serviced it hasn't missed a beat 😁

R10s also tend to sell cheaper second hand for some reason,  a lovely gun sold the other day in New condition,  full Bowket tune, advertised at £650, new the gun is a grand 😳

Pros and cons of the top guns. 

AA S510, the safety is on the trigger, what the hell were they thinking?! 
Can be double loaded, the magazine sticks up above the action, is a bit more fiddly, can get an ultra lite version that’s very nice for carrying around. 

HW100, not as good looking, has a more traditional safety that’s not on the trigger, apparently can’t be double loaded, magazine is flush with the action so doesn’t protrude making having a rail easier (a big consideration for me with modern NV scopes you can swap between rifles). 

I am considering getting a HW100K and adding an after market cylinder that’s lighter. 

Back to air rifles after a 65 year lay off so what is currently what means I'm hardly qualified to comment. With one exception. The complexity of modern PCP guns is such that just make sure that whatever you're looking at is as per (apart from use) it left the factory and has not been 'adjusted', shall we say, by a well meaning but unqualified amateur.

Edited by wymberley