Hainault, armed police ?

islandgun

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

and what if the witness is correct on the chap ranting about god or do we now blow someones brains out for suffering a mental issue which is not the same as just being guilty 

And if the person suffering a mental issue was ranting allah akbar, after killing one and maiming others ?

3 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

AND it took 'em 3 shots as the first 2 missed🙄🙄🙄

imagine the misses being Sig/Glock 9mm or  .40 rounds hurtling through your kitchen window😮

from what I’ve seen with Donut Operator on YouTube tasers are very prone to not work even if you hit the target as they have to make good contact with both’ probes into the skin or the circuit doesn’t work and the taser does nothing - he’s got loads of videos with good solid taser shots where both probes hit the target but either got stuck in clothing or not a good enough contact to work

The Met said police arrived within 12 minutes of the first call and officers had used a kind of pepper spray and a Taser on the suspect, which did not stop him.

Two officers were then attacked, suffering serious injuries, and will need long-term treatment to recover, the force added.

2 hours ago, clangerman said:

and what if the witness is correct on the chap ranting about god or do we now blow someones brains out for suffering a mental issue which is not the same as just being guilty 

I couldn't care less what someone is ranting about,  if your waving around a sword attacking people then expect to get shot.

1 hour ago, ordnance said:

They seem to manage here armed on and of duty, an they are not x forces 

Could it be better training? Personally I wouldn't want to attack a copper to find out how good a shot they are!

4 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

tazer actually stops a person faster than a bullet .and is actually  the better more effective  tool .certainly safer for all involved  . 

I know what you mean about being safer, but in an incident like this I'd hope it was armed response that showed up.

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Can I ask why your daughter went into policing if not willing to carry tools to protect herself and colleagues? That's a genuine question, I respect her decision but surely that puts her at unnecessary risk when responding to some jobs

Rubber bullets would have stopped this nut job sooner than tasers that seemed to take too long to show up. 

My daughter became a police officer before tasers were issued.

1 hour ago, amateur said:

My daughter became a police officer before tasers were issued.

Well amateur I hope your daughter never comes across someone like this I fully respect her decision not to carry one but this is 2024 and there are more nut cases carrying knives ( now swords) and one day she might regret not having one for her own safety 

Cops in Canada all carry. Most are barely competent and would be useless in a gun fight. They most often shoot and kill someone with a mental problem. Waving a plastic picnic knife in the middle of the street. But he is brandishing a weapon and must be stopped. 
     Then we have the runts . Bullied in school but now they have a gun. They are all a foot taller when carrying. 
       I suspect most of our cops aren’t looking to kill anyone and just want to end up pulling a pension. But even with supposed strong vetting too many gunslingers get through. 
      And our cops lie too. As evidenced by a very recent murder trial in Toronto. 

9 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

Well amateur I hope your daughter never comes across someone like this I fully respect her decision not to carry one but this is 2024 and there are more nut cases carrying knives ( now swords) and one day she might regret not having one for her own safety 

Fortunately, she is in a rôle where carrying a taser would be inappropriate and she isn't directly nutter facing.

However, thank you for easing my parental fears.

STOP AND SEARCH BLITZ. RANDOM AREAS AND TIMES. Might help INCLUDING VEHICLES he had this weapon in his van why.

Just now, scutt said:

STOP AND SEARCH BLITZ. RANDOM AREAS AND TIMES. Might help INCLUDING VEHICLES he had this weapon in his van why.

CARRIED OUT BY ARMED OFFICERS.

21 hours ago, chesterse said:

It’s not fair to ask the Police to put their lives at risk to tackle a guy with a samurai sword armed only with tasers. It all needs sorting out the Police needs guns and the authority to use them without redress in this type of situation.

The first two on the scene didn't even have that. A female officer came very close to loosing her hand in the attack.

In the late 70's I was confronted by a naked Male swinging a cavalry sword around.  There were no tasers then, and although a Firearms Officer,  that entailed returning to the Station to get permission to draw and use a firearm. Carrying only 2 foot of wood, I opted for my backup weapon........a 998cc Austin mini. That seemed to do the trick. I was able to pick up the sword and put it into the car. I then rendered first aid until an ambulance arrived. We were not even issued with handcuffs, but like many other Bobbies, I bought my own. In fact W. Richards (Liverpool),  a Gunsmiths now in Yorkshire, equipped many a Bobbie with handcuffs. 

This all took place at 3.00am so no great risk to the public.

Edited by Westley

On 02/05/2024 at 08:51, amateur said:

Fortunately, she is in a rôle where carrying a taser would be inappropriate and she isn't directly nutter facing.

However, thank you for easing my parental fears.

Any police officers role is to uphold the law and protect the public, she could be involved in something at any time. I think it's right our police volunteer to carry firearms but to say they'd quit if ever required to be armed I don't understand, but respect if that's how they feel.

22 hours ago, Westley said:

In the late 70's I was confronted by a naked Male swinging a cavalry sword around.  There were no tasers then, and although a Firearms Officer,  that entailed returning to the Station to get permission to draw and use a firearm. Carrying only 2 foot of wood, I opted for my backup weapon........a 998cc Austin mini. That seemed to do the trick. I was able to pick up the sword and put it into the car. I then rendered first aid until an ambulance arrived. We were not even issued with handcuffs, but like many other Bobbies, I bought my own. In fact W. Richards (Liverpool),  a Gunsmiths now in Yorkshire, equipped many a Bobbie with handcuffs. 

This all took place at 3.00am so no great risk to the public.

Brilliant and very brave. How times have changed, the police these days, particularly firearms look and carry equipment more akin to the military. I think it's a sad reflection on how our society has changed.