SMK

mossy835

Plenty of different models .some great some not so much .

I had a smk xs20 recently  and it shot very well for a £150  spinger.muxh better than the xs19 which is a totally different  gun in terms of quality.

Some of the  pcps are excellent. 

15 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Plenty of different models .some great some not so much .

I had a smk xs20 recently  and it shot very well for a £150  spinger.muxh better than the xs19 which is a totally different  gun in terms of quality.

Some of the  pcps are excellent. 

the one i was looking at was a ,xs19

I had the SMK QB78 (second hand), and i had to upgrade the breech seal, as it was leaking... but apart from that it was a superb airgun!!

I put a cheap 6-24x50 scope from ebay on it, and at 30m, it was accurate! not nail driver accurate, but good enough!!

It had such a punch, that it would set off Firebird targets meant for clays and rimfire rifles, and it was sub 12 ftlb too!

I put 1000's of pellets through it, and i found that it preferred Bisley .22 Practice pellets.

If i was to have another, i would hunt for one of them.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Made in China………says it all.

How many of you would buy a Chinese car? 
Would you buy a Chinese air rifle? 
I won’t even buy a Chinese scope!

A very outdated opinion if you don't mind me saying. The Chinese got a foothold in the market by making cheap guns that would last a few years and please the majority of first time shooters who would then buy a higher end gun or just stop shooting. as they decided that the sport wasn't for them. But time moves on and, unlike British Engineering, the Chinese have improved the quality of their products in next to no time - they learn fast and diversify even faster. You can still buy cheap Chinese guns obviously but then most well known makers have budget offering - IMHO pound for pound there is nothing to touch budget Chinese guns , their foray into the world of PCP's has also been pretty impressive, by copying existing models, using their vast supply of cheap Metals and enjoying low labour costs they have already gained a reasonable reputation, I use 2 Snowpeak (largest Air Rifle manufacturer in the world by a long shot) Air Rifles for hunting and have done so now for 5 ish years, one leak (fixed for free by my local dealer as it was such a simple fix) and neither have ever let me down in any way whatsoever, 150+ shots per fill/ light as a feather and more accurate than I am ever likely to be, they were £300 each so if they fell to bits tomorrow (they both still look new) I haven't lost much.

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

A very outdated opinion if you don't mind me saying. The Chinese got a foothold in the market by making cheap guns that would last a few years and please the majority of first time shooters who would then buy a higher end gun or just stop shooting. as they decided that the sport wasn't for them. But time moves on and, unlike British Engineering, the Chinese have improved the quality of their products in next to no time - they learn fast and diversify even faster. You can still buy cheap Chinese guns obviously but then most well known makers have budget offering - IMHO pound for pound there is nothing to touch budget Chinese guns , their foray into the world of PCP's has also been pretty impressive, by copying existing models, using their vast supply of cheap Metals and enjoying low labour costs they have already gained a reasonable reputation, I use 2 Snowpeak (largest Air Rifle manufacturer in the world by a long shot) Air Rifles for hunting and have done so now for 5 ish years, one leak (fixed for free by my local dealer as it was such a simple fix) and neither have ever let me down in any way whatsoever, 150+ shots per fill/ light as a feather and more accurate than I am ever likely to be, they were £300 each so if they fell to bits tomorrow (they both still look new) I haven't lost much.

Most of my opinions are outdated!
I am pleased you have had good experiences with your Chinese stuff. I always prefer a higher quality secondhand article to a cheap new one. 
How soon are you likely to buy a Chinese car?

Edited by London Best

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

I am pleased you have had good experiences with your Chinese stuff. I always prefer a higher quality secondhand article to a cheap new one. 

I don't know but have wondered if we all haven't bought one although we didn't buy it as such. If you stripped any make/model down to kit form, just how many individual parts/materials would have originated there?

41 minutes ago, London Best said:

When the Chinese want to flood our market with cars - they will. The only reasons they don't already have a foothold is because their cars do not appeal to western buyers due mainly to their styling - thus no demand. Second reason is they don't need to - they sold over 30 million cars last year (US nearest rival at 10 million) to a market growing by 10%/year - why bother with the fickle UK buyer ( dont forget 4 million commercial vehicles as well last year)

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

When the Chinese want to flood our market with cars - they will. The only reasons they don't already have a foothold is because their cars do not appeal to western buyers due mainly to their styling - thus no demand. Second reason is they don't need to - they sold over 30 million cars last year (US nearest rival at 10 million) to a market growing by 10%/year - why bother with the fickle UK buyer ( dont forget 4 million commercial vehicles as well last year)

I wonder if any of them are still running?

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Hello, I have a P 15 to Bruno and never had any problems , if you look at FX, HW, Air Arms, a lot need returning !!!

52 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I have a P 15 to Bruno and never had any problems , if you look at FX, HW, Air Arms, a lot need returning !!!

Those who own them know the truth OPP, very little can touch a £300 P15 below £1k and even then, not in the real world. Walnut stocks and gauges galore might look pretty but the P15 simply delivers - for next to nothing. 

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Those who own them know the truth OPP, very little can touch a £300 P15 below £1k and even then, not in the real world. Walnut stocks and gauges galore might look pretty but the P15 simply delivers - for next to nothing. 

Hello, getting to realy like the P15 but i did change the stock to a Bob P 3 D one, i just have a 3x9x40 Hawke scope, nothing fancy, it shoot spot on using Hades , 

. 20 years ago the lads had an X17.22 and a Pair of X15s in .177. . But found one of the X15s the other week in the back shed in pieces.  Built it back up with just what was in the Dog food sack, and it worked great.  Sights were off it completely and it had a cheap 4x20  scope in the sack it was unuseable. Put a Simmons White tail 3 to 9 on it and it was remarkably accurate with RWS Hoby and H&N FTTs . I was impressed just how accurate this kids gun was its trigger was on the heavy side but it was predictable.

It is a raggy hole at 30 yards and at 15 yards killed some rats, i have not chronoed it but think it will be about 7ftbls it seemed better back in the day but think the spring was weakening and why the eldest lad tore it down in the first place.

Fact is its IMO very accurate in its curent weakened spring natural state of tune.  it locks up great that detent ball idea works and its tight as a drum after years of abuse and neglect. Chinese yes cheap yes but accurate it vcertainly is. the barrel must be somewhere near acceptable to be as accurate as it is.  Stocks too small but with mods or a Home made stock its capable of bell target accuracy IMO I might just set to and knock something up and have a go with it, mot expensive bit would be a air arms diopter .

Edited by B B