Gambling

Mungler

8 hours ago, Westley said:

Do they not have a sweep at your shoots  ?

Yes, but nobody wins anything. All monies go to the air ambulance  or cancer research. Basically, you pay to have a guess at the bag. Not compulsory.

My nephew has a gambling addiction-machines & bookies. He owes thousands to various people. As much as he wants me to help him, whats the point? The only thing which would help is if i settled his debts but he wouldn't learn and would do it all again and again. He's 35 so not even a child and sadly does not understand the value of money. The only thing which concerns me is inheritance. I dont have kids and my next relative is an older sister. If i die after sister all that i own will automatically go to him-where it would be squandered very very quickly. My health is in decline at 53 so who knows what the future brings? Money filters through his fingers like grains of sand.

The other side of coin is a deceased uncle. He knew how to play the system and made a serious amount of money. Allegedly, one bookies in town banned him for this reason.

37 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yes, but nobody wins anything. All monies go to the air ambulance  or cancer research. Basically, you pay to have a guess at the bag. Not compulsory.

Ours is just the same.  £1 stake on bag, £1 stake on shots.  Winnings go in the charity pot.

£2 with no chance of winning, all takings to charity.  It's a donation with a little competitive incentive attached.

30 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

My nephew has a gambling addiction-machines & bookies. He owes thousands to various people. As much as he wants me to help him, whats the point? The only thing which would help is if i settled his debts but he wouldn't learn and would do it all again and again. He's 35 so not even a child and sadly does not understand the value of money. The only thing which concerns me is inheritance. I dont have kids and my next relative is an older sister. If i die after sister all that i own will automatically go to him-where it would be squandered very very quickly. My health is in decline at 53 so who knows what the future brings? Money filters through his fingers like grains of sand.

The other side of coin is a deceased uncle. He knew how to play the system and made a serious amount of money. Allegedly, one bookies in town banned him for this reason.

If you haven't make a will then you can decide who gets what 👍

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

when i was about 10 ish.....i entered the Tombola at the village hall and won 2 dozen eggs in a nice basket.............believe it or not i still have the basket

I take it that the eggs ended up in one of your early creations 😋, I have won a few things at the various building merchants without even buying a ticket , if you bought  building materials around Christmas time over a certain figure they gave you a free raffle ticket or your name stuck on one of the squares of say 100 , nothing to elaborate , a tin of Quality street and a few bottles of wine sort of thing , the wine were given away as Christmas presents as I don't drink the stuff to the ones who I rarely see throughout the year :lol:

3 hours ago, Imperfection said:

My nephew has a gambling addiction-machines & bookies. He owes thousands to various people. As much as he wants me to help him, whats the point? The only thing which would help is if i settled his debts but he wouldn't learn and would do it all again and again. He's 35 so not even a child and sadly does not understand the value of money. The only thing which concerns me is inheritance. I dont have kids and my next relative is an older sister. If i die after sister all that i own will automatically go to him-where it would be squandered very very quickly. My health is in decline at 53 so who knows what the future brings? Money filters through his fingers like grains of 

Firstly, don’t hold back on the amount you want to spend on shooting. 
Secondly, make a will expressing your wishes. In my mind the dog’s home is a far better place for your money than a wastrel nephew.

4 hours ago, Imperfection said:

Make a Will and wrap your estate into a family maintenance trust and appoint sensible trustees either professionals or members of your family (who can say ‘no’ to the gambler). You can write a non binding expression of wishes to be read in conjunction with the trust which confirms the direction of travel as to where your money can go eg approval of the trust funding a trip to the priory for the gambler.

Sorry to hear your health is failing and at 53. With that you really do need an LPA and appoint someone you trust to make financial / medical decisions on your behalf if you go go South. We recommend anyone over 65 should have one as a must and anyone of any age if they like motorbikes and skydiving for example.

If you want a steer, send me a PM.

All of that said, spend it on coke and hookers 😆

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

Make a Will and wrap your estate into a family maintenance trust and appoint sensible trustees either professionals or members of your family (who can say ‘no’ to the gambler). You can write a non binding expression of wishes to be read in conjunction with the trust which confirms the direction of travel as to where your money can go eg approval of the trust funding a trip to the priory for the gambler.

Sorry to hear your health is failing and at 53. With that you really do need an LPA and appoint someone you trust to make financial / medical decisions on your behalf if you go go South. We recommend anyone over 65 should have one as a must and anyone of any age if they like motorbikes and skydiving for example.

Ive heard both of those are addictive🤐 

9 hours ago, Imperfection said:

Why not get the cash for the house now but still live in it then do as you wish with the proceeds 

Edited by islandgun

In my limited confrontation with it addiction is a very strange beast to tame.

Mine  was Tobacco for 35 years till one day the switch clicked and I ended up walking away with no desire to return.

On 15/06/2024 at 12:38, Mungler said:

Funnily enough,i was an aunt's LPA. She and uncle never had children and were quite wealthy. My uncle made a lot of money gambling (that one) and when they eventually died i made sure the money went to the children's charities specified. Unfortunately, rest of family never forgave me and to this day my name is mud. They asked me 30 years prior because they knew i would do as instructed. All i got (and i never wanted it) was £500 for arranging the care and funerals etc.

So, the problem now is, who do i ask for me? I have a niece but she's not great with money and can be quite frivolous buying silly things.

Don't get me wrong,i love my family to bits but my niece & nephew will never get a mortgage-so do i help them out or leave it to Woodgreen animal shelter? Atleast i'll be dead by then and it wont worry me.😄

I think i need to book an appointment with a solicitor.

2 hours ago, Imperfection said:

Funnily enough,i was an aunt's LPA. She and uncle never had children and were quite wealthy. My uncle made a lot of money gambling (that one) and when they eventually died i made sure the money went to the children's charities specified. Unfortunately, rest of family never forgave me and to this day my name is mud. They asked me 30 years prior because they knew i would do as instructed. All i got (and i never wanted it) was £500 for arranging the care and funerals etc.

So, the problem now is, who do i ask for me? I have a niece but she's not great with money and can be quite frivolous buying silly things.

Don't get me wrong,i love my family to bits but my niece & nephew will never get a mortgage-so do i help them out or leave it to Woodgreen animal shelter? Atleast i'll be dead by then and it wont worry me.😄

See a solicitor and get it done.

My experience is that it’s rare for anyone to do the right thing when there’s a chunk of money floating about.

Gambling is a huge slippery slope to the dark side!!

I don’t gamble, bet or even play the lottery, I was brought up for years being told that there is only one winner, and after seeing people scrimp and save just £5 to lose it at the bookies in seconds……I understand why people have a problem, but ill keep my money in my pocket thanks. 

I’ve always joked Snow White is a slut compared to me - light hearted!! 🤣

I don’t gamble nor drink alcohol, don’t drink tea or coffee, don’t smoke, don’t use drugs, don’t follow fashion, not interested in cars, or labels, not interested in fuelling others egos… the list goes on and on

If I were a mister man character, I’d be Mr Dull complete with drab grey T Shirt 😂

I can’t grasp the concept of working to then frivolously line others pockets…so don’t !! I walk to work, only drink water, eat fruit then walk home. 🤣

The strange thing is….I’m content.…..Bizarre!!

Edited by Doormat

Just discovered a bar in Texas which does “Chicken **** Bingo” on Sundays. The players purchase a random number on a large bingo board. The winner is the number where the chicken leaves a deposit! 
Only in Texas!

On 16/06/2024 at 15:09, Imperfection said:

Just do it. Find a solicitor who you trust and talk frankly about your wishes and fears! 

On 15/06/2024 at 08:07, ditchman said:

when i was about 10 ish.....i entered the Tombola at the village hall and won 2 dozen eggs in a nice basket.............believe it or not i still have the basket

I do believe, as about the same age I went to a school jumble sale and entered a rafle, well back they just gave you your prize, anyway home I walked with it, on getting home I gave it to my mother who saved it for another 30 years, then one day on a pop over to see here she sad she had found it upstairs and we reminisced about that day. It came straight back to me and now 50+ years later I still look at it and remember my mother and school days, enjoy your prize one day I might open this. 

17188702902241527769502615489349.jpg

8 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

I do believe, as about the same age I went to a school jumble sale and entered a rafle, well back they just gave you your prize, anyway home I walked with it, on getting home I gave it to my mother who saved it for another 30 years, then one day on a pop over to see here she sad she had found it upstairs and we reminisced about that day. It came straight back to me and now 50+ years later I still look at it and remember my mother and school days, enjoy your prize one day I might open this. 

Well done you , just goes to show that at times little things mean a lot , glad it brought back happy memories .    MM

44 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

They dont make school raffles like that anymore..😄

3 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Gosh indeed not! At our school fete in about 1972 or maybe before that we had, truly, skittling for a pig. An actual live piglet. On display next to the skittling stall in a wooden crate.

That was done around here at country fairs, as was bowling for a 1 cwt. bag of coal.