Water And Sewage Charges ?

marsh man

We hear a lot about council tax charges and a 25% discount if you are the only person in the household but we don't seem to hear much about water and sewage charges .

Well I have just got my water bill in from Essex and Suffolk Water , the bill is now combined to cover the water used and the sewage charges , my new bill for the coming year is £1,759.20 , that is one person in a two bedroom bungalow , would you think this is about right , below average , or above . :hmm:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We hear a lot about council tax charges and a 25% discount if you are the only person in the household but we don't seem to hear much about water and sewage charges .

Well I have just got my water bill in from Essex and Suffolk Water , the bill is now combined to cover the water used and the sewage charges , my new bill for the coming year is £1,759.20 , that is one person in a two bedroom bungalow , would you think this is about right , below average , or above . 

How much??????? That can't be right?????

I pay £17 a month £204 a year. I only pay for supply (half the normal cost) as we have no sewer. We are on a meter and water is I think £6 a cube. 

Edited by oowee

That's outrageous. I am about to move house and have discounted water as inconsequential. I better check. 

Have you checked with neighbours? I run a pool and sprinklers on the lawns.here so use plenty. 

Looking on line the average water bill is £245 for your area in 2023

Edited by oowee

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

That's outrageous. I am about to move house and have discounted water as inconsequential. I better check. 

Have you checked with neighbours? I run a pool and sprinklers on the lawns.here so use plenty. 

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Any water meter ??

They read my meter every so often , how things are going , we will be weary in putting the heating on and now running the tap and flushing the toilet , we used to get two bills , one for water and the other one for the sewage charge , now they are combined , last year it was just over £1500 , so it's gone up just over  £200 :no:

That doesn't sound right Marsh Man, needs a phone call the query that charge.

I'm in Warwick and come under Severn Trent - 4 bed house, 2 people on a water meter, baths every day, watering the garden daily with a hosepipe in the summer, car washing, dishwasher etc £490 a year for a combined bill.

Looking at Anglian Water's web site pulls up this:  https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/services/extra-support/essex-and-suffolk-bill-changes/ 

Looks like they have a track-record of overcharging too:

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/thousands-anglian-water-customers-essex-8990857

Have you or the water company checked for any leaks your side of the meter ?

You can check easily enough by making sure no mains water is running in your house/bungalow, then check the meter for any 'flow'. If the meter is still moving, there is a leak somewhere. This can be monitored to measure how much is 'going to waste', and your bill should be adjusted accordingly.

I see you’re on a water meter! That usage is ridiculous,you should get it investigated for leaks etc. Have you read the meter yourself? Are the figures correct? I once had a big bill that I challenged and it turned out they had either read the wrong meter or read it wrong.

I live alone in a 2 bed house,my total standing charges are £152 a year, and water and sewerage charges are £85 a year.( I use on average 25 units a year) I pay £20 a month direct debit.If that meter was correct you are using 13x as much water as myself!! Without either a huge leak or meter error you can’t possibly be using 195 gallons a day! Should be around 18 gallons or less.

Makes me wonder if your meter is feeding a few other properties,but unlikely.Read your meter including the red figures,then don’t use a drop of water for a few hours at least,then read it again,obviously if the numbers change you have a leak somewhere! Your usage is equivalent to 8 gallons every hour 24/7.

Your bill shows 96 units water used but 325 units or sewerage water,those figures should be similar! Mine is 25 units water,with 23 units going to sewerage.

Edited by TOPGUN749

Blimey that's over £30 a week.

2 of us paying £342 a year here sewage and water. 

No way that's right. 

345 cm/3 cubic mtrs sewage charge for 142 days no way unless your paying for public toilets nxt door. 

I'd be on the phone first thing this morning and ask for a refund for last year as well. 

National average water use per person is said to be in the region of 140 litres/day (= 51 cubic metres/year).

Is there a very large garden involved?   Hosepipes can a lot of water, and the Northumbrian Water website calculator uses a figure of 16 litres/minute for a garden hose (almost 1 cubic metre/hour). 

Hello, As JKD mentioned , have you check for any water leaks ?  That is if your meter is on the property boundary,?? A leak in the service pipe is not uncommon and quite easy to check if your meter is say in the footpath. have you looked in the meter chamber ? saying this if your meter is in the property like both my Sons then something else is amiss, I spent years  fixing leaks on TWA, I use to fix leaks 1 mtr past the meter chamber , then was owners problem although quite often help sort it save getting a rip off plumber , It is very easy to check for leaks between meter and property if a short run,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

10 hours ago, marsh man said:

It certainly is right 

10 hours ago, marsh man said:

It certainly is right oowee

SAM-1006.jpg

I can’t see the top figures in the bill, but don’t think they add up to £1759, maybe £935? But it doesn’t make any sense anyway, should be about £935? Doesn’t make any sense anyway a bill for 142 days should be about £90-£100 on one person’s usage.

Edited by TOPGUN749
Error

46 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

I can’t see the top figures in the bill, but don’t think they add up to £1759, maybe £935? But it doesn’t make any sense anyway, should be about £935? Doesn’t make any sense anyway a bill for 142 days should be about £90-£100 on one person’s usage.

Morning Topgun .... All these readings and figures are not my strong point but from the 28th of September my monthly bill will be £258 , below is the readings that came with the bill .

SAM-1009.jpg

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Morning Topgun .... All these readings and figures are not my strong point but from the 28th of September my monthly bill will be £258 , below is the readings that came with the bill .

SAM-1009.jpg

Hi. 

Definitely some serious water usage there the sewage charge relates to the amount of water used so you've either got a big leak or a faulty water meter. 

Phone them this morning. 

18 minutes ago, marsh man said:

SAM-1009.jpg

Goodmorning Marsh Man,thanks for showing the bill in full, actually I now see that they claim you have used 468 cubic metres of water in 6 months! Staggering,(like 30 baths full every day) and clearly a massive leak or error of some kind! As a comparison I use 13 cubic metres in that time.

If possible take a reading yourself and without using a drop for a few hours read it again,if the reading changes something is wrong,either faulty meter,a big leak somewhere,or the meter is feeding other properties too. I don’t know how long this has been going on,but if you have paid these kind of bills you could be owed a lot of refunds amounting to thousands!

Edited by TOPGUN749

1 minute ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Goodmorning Marsh Man,thanks for showing the bill in full, actually I now see that they claim you have used 468 cubic metres of water in 6 months! Staggering,and clearly a massive leak or error of some kind! As a comparison I use 13 cubic metres in that time.

If possible take a reading yourself and without using a drop for a few hours read it again,if the reading changes something is wrong,either faulty meter,a big leak somewhere,or the meter is feeding other properties too. I don’t know how long this has been going on,but if you have paid these kind of bills you could be owed a lot of refunds amounting to thousands!

Hi Many THANKS for your fast response , I have now been here for seven years , this is the first year I have had a combined bill , the previous years were two bills , one for water and the other one for sewage , I don't use tap water for my garden , haven't used the dish washer since my wife passed away , washing machine on average once a week and bath once or twice a week depending on the weather and then normal usage with the taps for washing the crockery and tea ect .

I have rung them up and now waiting for the return call rather than waiting in the phone q .

Good luck in getting it sorted out,regardless of whether water and sewerage is combined or separate something is vastly wrong,and sounds like you use about same as myself,£20 a month direct debit for 25 cubic metres a year! Read your meter yourself as I said if possible,with everything turned off you should see no movement of the numbers.