The Never Ending Disappearing Pubs .

marsh man

3 minutes ago, dainty duck said:

well wait till you do reach 50 before trying to belittle people !

Do I get a certificate?   Still not sure what you mean by pubs are nowt like they used to be, nor how you could possibly know if you don't patronise them.

As for urination contest; not really.  You make a barely credible, sweeping statement on public forum, then are surprised when someone challenges it.  Similar, in fact, to what would happen in a pub, no?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@udderlyoffroad

The social side of public houses or PUBS to many,  is entirely subjective. There will always be those that cant stand to frequent those places, just like those that think eating mince meat is for council house people. (just for the record i love a good mince meat pie) But you will always have folk that are far too posh (in their world) to drink out of a glass that someone else has touched or be in the same building that mere peasant frequents. 

But then would you want to be in the company of people who think there "IT Muck and a Bit" Not for me thanks. 

But there are still some decent pubs about that do well and pretty full of sociable human being (we humans are generally social creatures by design, well before we started to use a common language we grunted some still grunt and fail to communicate 😀) I popped in to such a local last night  after an evening stalk (bagged a Muntjac) for a pint and a bag of cheese and onion, ended up talking to a retired Vicar'es (lady vicar) and her husband, had a very interesting night talking about meat from the local butchers, pork pies, cheeses and onion cobs, beer, campanology, dogs, venison, repairing the local church belfry which will enable an additional bell to be put in. 

Yes i enjoy socializing and having a pint

i havt been to a pub in decades now..........my local pub on a sturday night was melted into my DNA

when i walked into the pub with my mates you were welcomed by a smell of woodsmoke ...pipe tobacco.and old holborn...the smell of beer...and food....and the odd damp dog...

it was the smell of friendship...

On 16/09/2024 at 21:12, Weihrauch17 said:

Net Zero lunacy I imagine will tip many over the edge, we have some of the most expensive electricity costs in the world so Politicians can virtue signal.  Not just pubs all energy intensive industry will relocate or go bust.  Thousands of jobs now going under Labour.  North Sea Oil with the licence ban and Labour not challenging any court appeals from eco loons on existing licences. Steelworks, the Cumbrian mine and Grangemouth and for what?  Absolutely nothing, Tata are building a huge new blast furnace in India as our Govt bungs them £500 million to close ours and lose thousands of jobs.  It is total and utter insanity.

Just been politics uk since doomsday book?

Racking up loads of personal dosh on the way?

14 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Could be another nail in the coffin.

Evidently, Labour are looking at making pubs close earlier.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/09/23/pubs-to-call-last-orders-early-under-labour-nanny-state/

I don't think the coffin have got room for any more nails going by the pubs around our way now that the holiday season is all but over , at the rate they are closing it will soon be harder finding ones that are open rather than the ones that are shut , some will struggle to stay open with Christmas fast approaching and if they have a poor spell over the festive period then it will be another one closing it's curtains for good , sad state of affairs .  MM

I’m afraid it’s if you don’t use it you lose it. Our village local is always pretty busy with good old basic food and decent beer. I don’t frequent the pub as much as I used to so I suppose if it shuts, I’m partly to blame as are all those that decry the demise of pubs but don’t use them.

However, the next nearest pub to us which we do use for family meals fairly often is the King Ethelbert at Reculver. Always busy as they keep their prices the lowest in the area, great atmosphere, good basic food at sensible prices, decent beer and a good hub for the local community and beyond.

OB

On 17/09/2024 at 23:34, shaun4860 said:

I think it was a great law (non smoker).

whenever you went out you came home reeking of cigarettes.

Worse again in restaurants 🤢

Now you can get up the next day and your clothes don’t smell of cigarettes and you can have a meal out and not taste the smoke and tobacco.

I don’t think the ban had anything to do with the demise of pubs, when did you last see an empty wetherspoons on benefits day or any other day to be fair.

Agree, in fact if I visit a pub where people are allowed to smoke just outside the door then I would not return.

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I’m afraid it’s if you don’t use it you lose it. Our village local is always pretty busy with good old basic food and decent beer. I don’t frequent the pub as much as I used to so I suppose if it shuts, I’m partly to blame as are all those that decry the demise of pubs but don’t use them.

However, the next nearest pub to us which we do use for family meals fairly often is the King Ethelbert at Reculver. Always busy as they keep their prices the lowest in the area, great atmosphere, good basic food at sensible prices, decent beer and a good hub for the local community and beyond.

Unfortunately they are NOT very welcoming these days so I don't bother.

If you could get a nice pint or two with good reasonably priced food and be able to hold a conversation, I might use them more.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If you could get a nice pint or two with good reasonably priced food and be able to hold a conversation, I might use them more.

I don`t drink much at all these days, one good pint of real ale with a meal occasionally does me. No juke boxes or music in this pub so even I can hear what`s going on.:lol: It was good enough for Barnes Wallace back in his `Bouncing Bomb` days, so it`s good enough for me. :good:

7 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I don`t drink much at all these days, one good pint of real ale with a meal occasionally does me. No juke boxes or music in this pub so even I can hear what`s going on.:lol: It was good enough for Barnes Wallace back in his `Bouncing Bomb` days, so it`s good enough for me. :good:

Wish the prices were the same.   :cool1:

I think another problem we might have had was did we have to many pubs and drinking out places ?, at one time it was stated there was a pub in Yarmouth for every day of the year , that I can believe but nowadays instead of having one or two on every other road you are now lucky to find one open in a smallish village , I accept that if you don't use then you are likely to lose it , as I don't drink then I won't shed any tears but I have had some good times in pubs over the years and that was where I met my wife and without that meeting in a pub them my life would had been entirely different .   MM

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Choice of beer usually good here but the prices have gone through the roof to try and make ends meet, energy especially?

13 minutes ago, old man said:

make ends meet, energy especially?

Trying not to derail the thread but this could be eased by removing the green levy..    This was put in place to aid startups of so called green energy and since this is now in place and growing it should be removed as it is just a licence to print money by the big suppliers.

4 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Trying not to derail the thread but this could be eased by removing the green levy..    This was put in place to aid startups of so called green energy and since this is now in place and growing it should be removed as it is just a licence to print money by the big suppliers.

What is it? 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

What is it? 

If you are not extracting the micky

Green Levies are charged on any energy consumed by homes and businesses and make up roughly £100 of the average person's annual electricity bill. The money recovered from these levies is used to support subsidy schemes for renewable generators.  Octopus energy 29 Jul 2022

16 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

If you are not extracting the micky

Green Levies are charged on any energy consumed by homes and businesses and make up roughly £100 of the average person's annual electricity bill. The money recovered from these levies is used to support subsidy schemes for renewable generators.  Octopus energy 29 Jul 2022

Ah got you. I understand the levy but had not could not see a connection to the viability of pubs. 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Ah got you. I understand the levy but had not could not see a connection to the viability of pubs. 

Removing it would reduce energy costs by 8% minimum helping to make pubs more viable as their bills, by necessity, are some of the highest.

I will leave it at this stage to avoid thread creep.

Edited by Yellow Bear