Pigeon Shot

Cosd

Whats the best and quickest way to kill a pigeon if it comes down alive?

In another life I was picking up 3 days aweek, every week, over 6 seasons on a large commercial shoot and have despatched well over a thousand live retrieved birds, a priest is the only humane,efficient and discreet way to do the job.

If you have it on a lanyard connected to a belt loop, it can be kept in the pocket and brought out quickly when needed without fear of losing it.

You can make your own with an 8" length of hazel, drill a hole in the thicker end and weight it with lead. Drill a hole at the same time in the handle for the cord.

:blink: D2D

I carry a .22 air arms air gun with me. no need to get out the hide. one shot to the head sorts it out, very fast and clean.

For some reason they always stick thier heads in the air when wounded or the ones i shot did. its also good for birds landing in other field you dont have the right s too.

I carry a .22 air arms air gun with me. no need to get out the hide. one shot to the head sorts it out, very fast and clean.

For some reason they always stick thier heads in the air when wounded or the ones i shot did. its also good for birds landing in other field you dont have the right s too.

Don't you know it is illegal to shoot over land you do not have permission on :blink: :blink: :blink:

Don't you know it is illegal to shoot over land you do not have permission on :rolleyes::good::wub:

"Armed tresspass".......... innit.

Don't you know it is illegal to shoot over land you do not have permission on :wub::lol: :lol:

"Armed tresspass".......... innit.

YES :rolleyes::good:

I can confirm, don does indeed crunch the top of a pigeons head :lol::lol:

many is the time he has exited the pigeon hide looking like chuffin' dracula with pigeon blood and goo dripping off his chin :good::lol: to quote the chap the hardest thing to get used to is the blood squirting into your mouth B)

I will admit that it is instant oblivion for the pigeon but much prefer either a priest / leatherman applied to the pigeon brain stem. Same instant oblivion without the voodoo rites :lol:

Alright guys, I think I'll give the 'mouth full of pigeon head' a miss ;)

I tried the priest idea, without a proper piece of equipment and it was ok.

Obviously something heavier would have been better...(will get something for this)

But also read one of the replies where you apply presure to the chest for a few seconds taking out the wind from the bird;

Tried this with a bit of variation, boot on it's back applying a little presure and held for around 5 seconds. job done.

Very quick and no exploding pigeon !!

Thanks for all the tips, ONE THING I did learn from this post,

there's a lot of people out there who need some serious help :oops::oops::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I use a homemade priest for finishing them off.I find popping their heads on top of a fence post or something similar gives something to work against as oppossed to their heads flopping about.

Sorry if I'm sounding thick here, but the idea isn't to crush it's head is it?

Is what I did inhumane?

Whilst the pigeon was face down, I applied presure on its back for literally a few seconds (5) and that was it...

Sorry if I'm sounding thick here, but the idea isn't to crush it's head is it?

I just find it easier to have the head still and less likely to absorb some of the blow by going with the flow .

Is what I did inhumane?

Whilst the pigeon was face down, I applied presure on its back for literally a few seconds (5) and that was it...

I've seen a couple of guys use this method,basically squashing the body and crushing the heart me thinks.

I can't believe some people actually take a second gun into the hide for finishing birds of??? I've got enough kit to carry as it is.

Priest for me everytime - clean, humane and more to the point, fast. I don't like the idea of standing on birds to kill them - what happens to the breast meat as you force it into the ground? Too easy to apply a bit too much pressure and make a right old mess. Same with swinging birds around by the neck - head comes off and blood everywhere... You're going to eat it, so treat it with respect :lol:

I can't believe some people actually take a second gun into the hide for finishing birds of??? I've got enough kit to carry as it is.

Priest for me everytime - clean, humane and more to the point, fast. I don't like the idea of standing on birds to kill them - what happens to the breast meat as you force it into the ground? Too easy to apply a bit too much pressure and make a right old mess. Same with swinging birds around by the neck - head comes off and blood everywhere... You're going to eat it, so treat it with respect :lol:

I will get a tool and go the priest root.

But regards using the boot as I mentioned earlier, I didn't mean stand on it.

It really was just applying a little presure to its back, you hear and almost feel the wind

taken out the bird. No more than 5 seconds and the head went limp.