What size Quad

pavman

Assuming we know a portly gent of around 15 stone or 95kg if you prefer, what size engine would our friend require in his Quad to get him round the wet fields :)

A big one with a trailer..... :D:D

sorry :good:

;) D2D

I was 15st once thats not fat, unless your less than 6ft?

Knowing who the Portly gentleman in question is and wht he needs it for, I would say 450cc with Silencer. I know where you can get one for £3.5K brand new that will do the trick. They do gun holsters, rests etc as well.

The reason I say 450cc is that when the ground gets abit boggy, you will need the extra oomph, comes in Realtree for that price as well :good: And is Road legal.

Heres a trick for you, apply under agricultural use and you don't pay Road tax. Go with NFU insurance and its dirt cheap, just say you want it for agricultural use on farm land and it will be about £180.00 Fully comp.

SS

15 stone? Portly? a mere slip of a lad! have a look at the Kawasaki 360, had a play on one last week and I'm trying to convince the mrs that we don't need to buy food for the next month so I can have one. Selectable 4wd too on this one, I've looked at several and this one is my choice. Your dealer will let you play with one, the most fun that you can have with your clothes on! Don't forget the road legal kit, it's about 500 quid extra, but they may throw it in free in you play hard to get.

I have a Honda TRX 300. It copes well with me at virtually 17 stone plus McF at a guestimated 13 stone combined, plus guns and gear. I cant comment on the boggy stuff as we dont encounter any with the quad where we use it during our annual jaunt to Scotland. Circumstances may change if I ever get to use the quad on thesyndicate land as some of that is so wet a boat would be a good idea.

webber

We normally use a Honda 450 quad with no real bother but this weekend we had the use of a Kawasaki KVF750! :good:

Holy **** that thing was evil! Unbelievable power. Massive winch on the front with a 1 3/4 pull strength too.

No matter what quad you go with just ensure it has good tyres on it so you don't end up spinning the ground up too much.

honda forman but not the eletrick shift one it has a plastich sump plate *** get a hondaforman 500cc never fail fag lighter too for the lamp road leagle front rack back rack tow bar selectable 4wd i used to use one all the time in wasdale and it never failed well untill i rolled it down a fell side for about 300 yards and it was a right off but still a goot bike and its like **** off a shovel 74 kmh was our top speed we have rolled the same bike about 10 times and it still started and got us home i would have one if i could afford one

Knowing who the Portly gentleman in question is and wht he needs it for, I would say 450cc with Silencer. I know where you can get one for £3.5K brand new that will do the trick. They do gun holsters, rests etc as well.

The reason I say 450cc is that when the ground gets abit boggy, you will need the extra oomph, comes in Realtree for that price as well :hmm: And is Road legal.

Heres a trick for you, apply under agricultural use and you don't pay Road tax. Go with NFU insurance and its dirt cheap, just say you want it for agricultural use on farm land and it will be about £180.00 Fully comp.

SS

SS 3.5 K ;) we are talking Lamping Rabbits and Fox not a Limo for taking Mrs P to the Oil Barons Ball, and whats all this talk of insurance, I had a more modest budget in mind of around £1000

Pavman

With the budget that you have in mind you may get a Honda TRX 300, or similar, mine is now 12 years old, and cost me about £1300 around 5 years ago. The 4wd is not switchable, but double check before you go to view that any quad is 4WD as some are only 2WD

Being of the larger variety of gentleman, I think it is fair that I comment.

The best quad I have used so far was a Honda 4x4 400cc that coped splendidly! I have also used a Kawasaki 300cc, 2wd, not so good off road at all. I tried a 250cc 2wd and it was useless.

The 400cc 4wd honda was very good off road, took it up 30degree slopes, through mud so deep it came up over the wheels and I never got stuck once! :hmm:

Pavman

With the budget that you have in mind you may get a Honda TRX 300, or similar, mine is now 12 years old, and cost me about £1300 around 5 years ago. The 4wd is not switchable, but double check before you go to view that any quad is 4WD as some are only 2WD

Guys are we saying that 4WD is the way forward, Its great to be able to canvas opinion, so looks like the PW panel recommend Honda 300-400 CC in 4X4 ?