British Gas

Mungler

A friend of the family is a single lady who is a carer. She is 60+ and lives in a 1 bed bungalow you couldn't swing a cat in. There are a total of 5 rads in her bungalow.

She had a problem with the heating and not wanting to be ripped off she gets British Gas to come round.

They convince her she needs:

1. a system power flush (£600 plus VAT)

2. a new boiler (a glow worm conventional - priced at between £400 and £600 off tinternet)

3. they are at her house for a total of 1 whole day (2 half days).

Final bill? £3,700

She is passing the paperwork over to me and I will get stuck in very shortly.

She is in a state pension and is now worried about money etc.

Absolutely outrageous.

Brittish Gas rates are something we should almost be ashamed of, we have had a couple of systems fitted by guys who used to sub for them and do the installations. The first one they charged £2k versus BG 5 and the second we didn't get a quote on. They trade on their name and use definite scare tactics. But I'm not sure there is anything illegal in it, very morally wrong but not legal. Though I guess its worth a try on as lets face it the boiler will have cost them £600 and the days labour for two blokes £250 at most

:lol: Hi mungler 5 years ago my heating was making trickling noises

paid a local plumber to bleed and power flush it ,which means they connected a hose to the

combi inlet and a hose to the drain valve on the system the water runs black for 10 minutes,

job done £35 quid, :lol:

I'll be impressed if you actually get hold of someone to talk to, last time I had a ruck with them I got used to the "you're number 550 in the queue" sort of calls. They are the most arrogant company going so good luck on screwing them

All the utility companies offer "free inspections" stand by to be dry humped. They always condemn whatever you`ve got and advise work. Its just putting the frighteners on to generate work at excessive cost. When i worked for my old chap as an electrician we were often reasuring people that, no, they didnt need a rewire, and their consumer unit, although old, was fine. Generaly the elderly with not a lot of money. Despicable.

Ten years ago I had oil central heating, allways breaking down, so I purchased a gas fired unit and fitted it myself, had the gas supply fitted to it and its only stopped twice since (Pilot blown out) people on the estate were I live ask me to have a look when their Central heating is playing up, and 9 times out of ten its just the rads that need bleeding, allthough my youngest daughter has a house 6 years old and her unit kept firing up then stopping, I took her unit to pieces and found the rubber tube to the pressure switch was perished, a new bit of tubing cured that,she had been advised that she needed a new unit about £800.00 there are a lot of rip off merchants out there. be carefull. :lol:

Ten years ago I had oil central heating, allways breaking down, so I purchased a gas fired unit and fitted it myself, had the gas supply fitted to it and its only stopped twice since (Pilot blown out) people on the estate were I live ask me to have a look when their Central heating is playing up, and 9 times out of ten its just the rads that need bleeding, allthough my youngest daughter has a house 6 years old and her unit kept firing up then stopping, I took her unit to pieces and found the rubber tube to the pressure switch was perished, a new bit of tubing cured that,she had been advised that she needed a new unit about £800.00 there are a lot of rip off merchants out there. be carefull. :lol:

My brother was advised he needed a new boiler. It was just the diverter valve. Got one off the net, 80 quid and fitted it ourselves. I`m alergic to being ripped off and have through persistence worked out how to fix most things myself.

I moved into a new place last month, 2 bed bungerlow, pvc double glazed malarky, 5 rads and a towel rack.......... £50 on gas in a month on the card :lol:

Seeing as I work nights and sleep in the day It's hardly ever on, There will be a battle coming!

A friend of the family is a single lady who is a carer. She is 60+ and lives in a 1 bed bungalow you couldn't swing a cat in. There are a total of 5 rads in her bungalow.

She had a problem with the heating and not wanting to be ripped off she gets British Gas to come round.

They convince her she needs:

1. a system power flush (£600 plus VAT)

2. a new boiler (a glow worm conventional - priced at between £400 and £600 off tinternet)

3. they are at her house for a total of 1 whole day (2 half days).

Final bill? £3,700

She is passing the paperwork over to me and I will get stuck in very shortly.

She is in a state pension and is now worried about money etc.

Absolutely outrageous.

A system flush is now standard procedure under CORGI installation rules so that is standard.

Did she accept the works or was it done at gunpoint?

If not then there is no case to answer at the end of the day.

British gas charge through the nose full stop. She should have gone to an 'honest plumber'.

Mung,

I have had several tenants (of clients) get stung by British Gas this winter, in those exact circumstances. The Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate had been issued by a third party and the installations deemed safe, but BG wrote very alarmist warning letters to the tenants, stating that 'lives may be in danger if remedial work is not carried out'. In one case, an elderly and disabled tenant approved the work and got walloped for a £3k bill. British Gas doesn't like being complained to, and is hugely obstructive. As said above, it trades on a name, and will not enter in negotiation over a dispute.

FWIW, on my firm's list of approved contractors, the plumbing firm in Braintree charges (at cost) £300 for a powerflush, and it takes a minimum of 24 hours to complete. Another contractor charges £700 (inc VAT) for a powerflush where the acids are left to settle for a week. Both firms have stated that they can never guarantee a successful powerflush. And these two firms charge £27.50/hour (a VAT) on a day-work basis. British Gas's pricing is way off the mark.

But then BG knows this, and knows that its advertising and brand strength means that the unaware will always accept BG's verdict as gospel.

A system flush is now standard procedure under CORGI installation rules so that is standard.

Did she accept the works or was it done at gunpoint?

If not then there is no case to answer at the end of the day.

British gas charge through the nose full stop. She should have gone to an 'honest plumber'.

This is all very well but until people make a stand they will continue to get away with it (though I understand where you're coming from Starlight).

Many people believe they will get fleeced by a plumber they don't know - the building trade is full of scam merchants and plumbers are renowned for overpricing or charging for unnecessary work. Like many they prey on our ignorance.

If you don't know an honest plumber then what do you do? Most (wrongly) will turn to B/Gas believing them to be a trustworthy and honest household name.

When we moved we had no hot water - didn't know a plumber so had to take a risk using someone local. 20min job and a small part in the boiler replaced - he ripped us off for £160 labour (8 years ago). When we installed a complete new system guess who didn't get the work!

By the way Mung - I know a good solicitor if you need one :no:

I shall merely invite them to consider their pricing and if that gets no joy then it's every regulatory body I can find and Watchdog.

Sounds like an abso;ute ripoff, "which" mag would be very interested in this one, full marks young man for taking up the issue on her behalf and let us know what happens as it happens, be a thorn in their side for everyone they have shafted recently.

:no: D2D

That is despicable. Scottish power had me paying £110 pm for a small modern 5 radiator house insisting that was the correct sum. Thermostat was low and only on in cold days for 6hrs. I switched supplier and my bills cut to £35 p/m. Could not afford to stay with them to argue the cost any longer. Hope you get justice Mungler.