humane dispatch ???

Just browsing on guntrader and i seen a section on pistols. After looking at a few i see they are "suitable for humane dispatch under section 5"

who would use these, im quite confused !!

maybe vets ?? horses ?? im just clutching at straw here so help me out ! :good:

Cheers

Reed

Pistols are still ok if you have just reason, my dad still has his humane killer and thats not a captive bolt but a fairly heavy caliber free bullet, can't remember what it is caliber wise but its unusual. You have to have just reason to aquire it and goes on a firearm ticket usually its vets and Knacker men who have reason for them for destroying horses and cattle etc.

.38 and.357 calibre pistols can be legally bought on a section 5 if you can prove that you need the gun. My mate asked for a .44 magnum (already available to 2 people he knew) for dispatching wounded deer.

He was refused on the grounds that he had so many rifles and shotguns?

i think you have to many aswell lol it must be a wales thing :yp: :lol::lol:

Generally, if you shoot a deer and it takes off into very dense undergrowth or forest where it could be unsafe to fire a rifle, or not possible to get one in there with you, you could use a pistol. On my patch you have to craw on your stomach/knees to get into some of the deer paths. I can't see how I could pursue an animal to despatch it with rifle in hand.

Often they are limited to just 2 rounds.

Don't know about England but up here BASC won a court case to get it established that a .38 revolver could be used for humane dispatch of wounded or road accident deer. They also got all the court costs awarded against the Tayside police who had tried to refuse the pistol on a stalker's FAC.

Jim

Don't know about England but up here BASC won a court case to get it established that a .38 revolver could be used for humane dispatch of wounded or road accident deer. They also got all the court costs awarded against the Tayside police who had tried to refuse the pistol on a stalker's FAC.

Jim

Yep, it's the same here 38, 357 magnum and 44 magnums are allowed for humane dispatching of deer. Viking sell the Ruger GP 100 revolver in 3 ,4 and 6" barrel lengths for this purpose.

Nice to see some good publicity for BASC for a change.

• 1 year later...

They are still legal in any calibre you can justify for the task you have, they are still used by a number of people for Humane despatch and slaughtering...try using a rifle on a cage trapped fox for slaughtering and you will see why, most common are the .22lr and various 30 calibres....but you will have to put a strong case!!!

Cheers :hmm:

Not sure of legality in UK but I allways carry a pistol here when stalking pig/deer as if you guff the shot its easier(somtimes) and less meat damage to follow up with a pistol than a second riflr shot.

Under the UK law, this is considered Good Reason for ownership of a pistol here, too.

However, firearms departments do not grant without a heck of a fight. The legal basis is questionable (and in this case several cases have been successfully argued by recreational stalkers wanting a pistol for this reason) but no official case law has been produced as yet. So basically, if you can be ***** for the fight and you actually do this type of stuff, you can have a pistol (and a proper one, too - not some half-baked .32, .22 or .410).

Under the UK law, this is considered Good Reason for ownership of a pistol here, too.

However, firearms departments do not grant without a heck of a fight. The legal basis is questionable (and in this case several cases have been successfully argued by recreational stalkers wanting a pistol for this reason) but no official case law has been produced as yet. So basically, if you can be ***** for the fight and you actually do this type of stuff, you can have a pistol (and a proper one, too - not some half-baked .32, .22 or .410).

i am aiming to do this later in the year on renewal, a friend of mine was eventually granted after 2 years, the auto he bought has a 2 shot magazine only

however he can use normal mags as they are called cartridge carriers :hmm:

Just browsing on guntrader and i seen a section on pistols. After looking at a few i see they are "suitable for humane dispatch under section 5"

who would use these, im quite confused !!

maybe vets ?? horses ?? im just clutching at straw here so help me out ! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Reed

pest controllers, but I use a 410 hushpower on live catch foxes