any pigeons about

rifleman56

They certainly don't seem that committed to the rape anywhere, at the moment

been hitting rape hard up here for a few weeks had a number of very good bags recently and of course the odd poor day lots of pigeon around!

cheers keith

I was out for a drive today looking for an end of season field of Greylags for me and my mate to shoot tomorrow and I spotted two nice flocks of Pigeons on OSR. The first lot was about 200-300 strong on a 20 acre field and the second lot was well over 1000 on two 30 acre fields back to back. They have only really started hitting the rape hard up here for a week or so now.

Mark.

I can sat that here in the West Midlands Pigeons they not even consider (yet) OSR, yesterday I went into this wonderfull fiel made up for Pigeons 400 acres of rape and at the side, a row of threes covered with ivy guess where they were landind, on the bloody ivy and that means I could shoot them because I was on the field in the hide.

:lol:

I'm seriously wondering if we are going to see much activity on the rape this year. Just been out all day looking, picked up 2 new farms to shoot if they do start to get on but I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes::lol::)

Mind you I also found a new ferreting venue which has the biggest rabbit population I've seen in 20 years !!!, Having a preliminary go at them tomorrow and will report back on results later in the week.

I'm seriously wondering if we are going to see much activity on the rape this year. Just been out all day looking, picked up 2 new farms to shoot if they do start to get on but I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes::lol::)

Mind you I also found a new ferreting venue which has the biggest rabbit population I've seen in 20 years !!!, Having a preliminary go at them tomorrow and will report back on results later in the week.

The pigeons are flocking up now in yorkshire.

:< Haven't seen a large flock of pigeons round here for months and we have plenty of rape.

I think as many have said previously, this winter has seen an abnormally large amount of berries about and being "Wood pigeons", they have done exactly that------------------stayed in the woods. :devil:

Not wishing to claim the title, "elder pigeon shooter", but my experience is that when the Winters were much harder, with snow falls in the South and much heavier prolonged periods of frost, the pigeons fed more voraciously on anything green.

In the 60's, 70's and early 80's , this was usually kale, brussel sprouts and other barassicas.

The coming of oil seed rape and subsidies, meant less of the former vegetables were grown and the pigeons were obliged to go for the rape.

The milder Winters see the acorns, beechmast and berries lasting almost right through the season.

There were massive crops of berries this year, the hawthorns and the ivy have been smothered.

The big bags of pigeons seem to be shot over drilled fields and stubbles (both rape and wheat).

I believe that big Winter bags are a thing of the past, in the parts of the Country where the weather remains mild.

The milder Winters see the acorns, beechmast and berries lasting almost right through the season.

There were massive crops of berries this year, the hawthorns and the ivy have been smothered.

The big bags of pigeons seem to be shot over drilled fields and stubbles (both rape and wheat).

I believe that big Winter bags are a thing of the past, in the parts of the Country where the weather remains mild.

100 % spot on Cranfield.

There are thousands of Pigeons in the woods on the cotswold escarpents where I live and they are still preoccupied with Mast and Ivy. The Climate is without doubt a major factor in the Birds feeding habits and we should also remember that they will eat rape and other Brassicas only when natures larder is depleted. As I have said before Rape is pretty disgusting and has little nutritional value compared to high protein content of nuts berries and grain. Most of my shooting has been done recently on setaside on the edge of large beech woods where I have managed to lure birds out of the canopy or from off their flightlines. I would normally expect to get off about 30 to 40 shots and perhaps kill 20 to 30 birds this way. This just as good as I have shot on rape in recent years.

I think too that 100 plus bags in some areas are few and far between.

FM.

Cranners analysis is exactly my take as well. Bang on.

I've got three ginormous rape fields opposite my house with hardly a bird on them all winter; but the Wyre Forest on the other three sides is stuffed with birds. I don't have a measured view of the relative numbers this year, but my gut feeling is that we've got higher numbers than ever with a lot of late season youngsters amongst them.

The few woodies I've shot roosting are full of natural grub, beech mast in particular. I'll probably have a pop tonight and check a few crops out; if owt's changed I'll let you know.

It's now early Feb. The weatherman says we are in for a cold snap, so the birds might switch their feeding grounds if the natural stuff runs out, and move to the OSR. Once again it's only a gut feel, but I think we won't have a rape shooting season at all round here.

Having said all that me Ern, FM, and Ole Man Cranners are all south of the Trent; it might be different oop t'North..I think MRobson in Scotland said he'd got good numbers on the rape.

Regards

Eug

Edited by eugene molloy

Club Captains take note:

Up 'ere in't North of England the pigeons have been showing an interest in the rape for over three weeks now whilst still continuing to eat their natural food supply of which there are barrow loads left.

But given the climate change now being experienced over the winter months, the only way for anyone to make a respectable 'bag' is to deploy all available troops on the day to all known rape fields, within a sizeable area, easier said than done!

Methinks it would be far more effective than all the roost shooting efforts which appear to yield very low scores. (York Round Table Charity Roost Shoots last year in Feb/March when overall best individual 'bag' was about 7 birds !! )

The pigeons have been hitting the OSR quite hard for the last few weeks around the Sleaford Lincs area, but are still difficult to shoot as they are just as happy to bu@@er off back to the woods for the mast & Ivy if they get a few shots across the bows. However I got a call from one of my local farmers asking me to call round and take a look at one of his large Maize cover strips today, so I met up with him and we took a walk to the said strip, I couldn't believe my eyes the birds were pouring in using a defined flight line, I sent one of my dogs into the strip and put up 1000s of em ! The farmer was going to ley it but asked if i fancied shooting it first (what a top bloke)

I've booked a day off work tommorow and the gear is packed, I will try and deek em on the flight line well before the maize, but if things get desperate then into the maize I go.

Rgds Pointer.

Been going round OSR fields for some weeks and apart from one goodish day (25), very little around. Pigeons shot when roosting lately have been stuffed full of ivy berries, so I guess they're still in the woods. Is it me, or are there fewer pigeons around this year? Clipper

hmm seems I am bucking the trend a little have been having a few weeks of very good shooting over rape set up weds had 40 odd and again yesterday no wind VERY warm in fact I could feel the sun on the old moy kept taking my hat off as I was "sweating" pigeon started off slow, had 2 floaters a flapper and about a doz flock coated shells set up, birds interested but only a few committing? put 2 fresh birds on a magnet moved my full set up 40 yards to the left of me then bingo! came in steady for about 4 hours dropped 70 odd, see photo section in amongst the bag were a few VERY young birds and 1 WHITE feral never notived it was white in the sunshine or I would have left it was a bonny bird, oh and 5 red grouse flew in? never seen one in the area before? no heather for them?

cheers Keith