Victorian farm

tosspot

its a load of tosh. first of all last week when he was ploughing the plough shown had no share then next time we saw it it had a share, then we could see some tractor wheel marks quite clearly, the seed drill and the threasher were both 1930s, but other than that its mildly entertaining. :unsure:

I quite like it. It gives us an idea of how hard it would be to live like that.

Imagine no light switches, seeing your breath when you go to bed!

We haven't a clue, (although I bet the actors didn't really have a clue either).

I could quite easily survive in both, (as I'd imagine most people on this forum would as well), but I know which one I'd rather be in :unsure:

P.

I'm enjoying it apart from the fact I cough a little sick in my mouth every time that ginger bird appears.

ROFLMAO :unsure:

I know she is someone's missus / daughter etc but she is proper haggard.

In summary: back breaking times and the women wouldn't have been upto much, especially the ginger ones.

I remember seeing rusty old chaffing machines, root cutters and even an entire thresher trapped in the middle of a wood where the trees had grown around it on my grandads farm as a kid.

I like the show - there was a clip of a nice black powder hammergun in action on the "Next time" clip at the end of saturdays show.

ZB

I lived with my grandmother for all my early years and I can well remember wash day with the barrel and , ' post stick', hard labour indeed although the lady in question lived until her 90th year. Frosty breath in the bedroom, and frost flowers on the window were a feature of every winter. Never worked a hand driven turnip cutter but fed plenty into a similair machine driven off a small Lister or Petter engine. I do regret having missed a large part of the programme but hope to catch the rest this week. It will be difficult getting every detail right, the original steam thrashing machines were barn installed with corn having to be led to them, often a blessing in wet weather as there was work for the farm hands indoors until the supply of sheaves had been thrashed, so I have been told.

Blackpowder

ROFLMAO :unsure:

I know she is someone's missus / daughter etc but she is proper haggard.

In summary: back breaking times and the women wouldn't have been upto much, especially the ginger ones.

The same bird was on Kings Kitchen or King's Feast? a while back re-creating Henry VIII recipes. Wasn't a bad watch to be honest.

The Victorian Farm for me is compulsive viewing. I used to hang around an old farm complex when I was a kid. It was abandoned and stuck in a time warp straight from the same period. Loads of old tools, horse tack and machinery left in the old barns. Happy times. It's now a small, exclusive housing estate.

Edited by PaulABF

Watched this on the repeat last night and it does make you realise how tough life was.

Did anyone watch the programme before on what the Victorians Did for us -

Fromn the Victorian criminal records A guy had been caught poaching a rabbit - he got 10 years! Now that is what I call tough!! You just carnt imagine getting that sort of sentence for a rabbit - was it worth it! You would get less now for armed robbery!

Did anyone else think the bloke who brought the ram was just a little bit too enthusiastic ?

Yes, he seemed to be a little too enthusiastic about the ram's proud nut-sac: still, it takes all sorts...

Re. the general criticism of the set-up, perhaps we should remember it is a TV programme - they're trying to recreate a very labour intensive lifestyle with a handful of bods and a borrowed shire horse, so a few liberties can be forgiven.

My Grandfather went misty-eyed over the turnip chopper: he remembered using one in the 30's on his Grandfather's farm - hard work for a kid and no risk assessment or HSE...

I'm just a bit curious about the wheat they drilled; seem to remember being told that it wasnt till well after WW2 that autumn sown cropping became the norm as the chemicals to control weeds & diseases were not available.... Perhaps spring wheat seed was in short supply in 2007? Might be a bit of a job to harvest it with the weeds.

What odds though. A great try at living as our predecessors did, much more sustainable than today's lifestyles, and isnt it great that none of them are complaining about the work, but just giving it their best shot.

And no, I will not be giving up my modern tractor cab for a shire horse in the rain!

I'm enjoying it apart from the fact I cough a little sick in my mouth every time that ginger bird appears.

I have just watched University Challenge.

Lincoln College Oxford thrashed Queens College Cambridge by 335 points to 50 points.

Now, I kid you not, but the Cambridge team has a ginger haired woman on their team whose surname was “MINGERSâ€.

Explains a lot and the final score me thinks.

As soon as I saw her name on the board I was reminded of that classic Super Furry Animals track - "She's a minger!" So much so I had to sing it out loud, much to the merriment of my dear children, ha ha !

And boy was she a Minger :good:

I beat everyone tonight and managed an impressive 8 correct answers for the whole show :no:

P.

, seeing your breath when you go to bed!

We haven't a clue,

Au contraire!

When I were a nipper we most definitely could see our breath when we went to bed and waking up to a sheet of ice on the inside of the window was a regular thing, no heating in a stone built farmhouse.

Au contraire!

When I were a nipper we most definitely could see our breath when we went to bed and waking up to a sheet of ice on the inside of the window was a regular thing, no heating in a stone built farmhouse.

Been there done that,

having an earthenware hot water bottle that burned your toes if you touched it and woke you up and your PJs came courtesy of Damart, running downstairs in the morning to keep the fire in, rosey days....I think

My dear old Grandpops

Would never used the tractor always Horse and plough.

Everything they did was done by hand.

Both my granddad and nan out working side by side from 4am in the morning till about ten at night.

And both worked more or less right up to the day they died. My grandad at 72 and my nan at 90.

I sometimes think its sad that those good old days are gone.

When the farmer really got his hands dirty.

xxxSuzy

Edited by Mrs Sweepy