I know the laws in the UK about handguns..

LeeinVA

Has to be a COLT 1911 in 45

second is a sig in 45

last time in the us, spent some time at

Maryland Small Arms Range

9311 Old Marlboro Pike, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

nice bunch very helpfull,

Spent the afternoon trying different pistols,at 6 bucks a rental

I was like a kid in a candy store.

Had a fantastic time

Hopefully planning a hunting trip in 2012 and for sure will be down the range

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I use to possess

S&W mod 19 .44mag

Astra (not a vauxhall) .44mag, nice gun for a cheapy

S&W 45ACP revolver with full and half moonclips (I cant remember model number) I could not get on with a 1911 .45ACP)

S&W 686 AND 586 .357mag

S&W M&P 38 special

Enfield .38

Ruger P45 .45ACP

Browning Hi power 9mm

Beretta 92FS 9mm with .40 calbre conversion

Tanfoglio TA 90 9mm

CZ (model number escapes me) 7.65mm same as 32acp a snappy little so and so to fire

and I was going to put in for the 10mm

I couldnt get on with the Glock

I did also Possess a Calico but never put it on my ticket left it at the club

Looking at the above Ive had more

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm my ex said she was a shooting widow

Edited by Alanl50

Mine is the Smith & Wesson Model 19 in .44 Mag.. :blink:

Don't you mean a model 29?The model 19 is only a K-frame revolver and as far as I know was only designed for .357 loads at most.The model 29 was an N-frame(as was the 27).44 mag.I had all three at one time.

My apologies if someone else has mentioned this as I haven't looked through the entire thread,am going beating in a minute so have't time,but will drop inagain this aft'.

Looks like it could be an interesting thread('til it gets locked!) :yp:

What are the laws regarding blacvk powder? I think you can have Pyrodex, which is a propellant, fairly easy.. Go with the Remington 1858.. She has a back strap and more accurate :blink:

Sorry Lee,but coming from the USA(and especially Virginia)I expect you to know what you're talking about.ALL revolvers have a 'backstrap',don't you mean 'top strap'?The percussion revolvers such as the .36 Navy,.44 Army and .31 Pocket and Police Positives did not have TOPSTRAPS,whereas the Remingtons did.Both the Remingtons and Colts have BACKSTRAPS. :good:

Forget about the 44 mag-s ect. I could get one but couldn't afford to shoot it. All i would do is annoy the guy beside me at the range.

You don't HAVE to fire full weight magnums through magnum revolvers.When I shot pistols I loaded my own ammo(clubbing together makes it very cheap)and usually shot mild target loads through it,and they could be surprisingly accurate.Scored my first 10 in the black with a Ruger 'Bisley' .44 Magnum.We only loaded full weight magnums for 'playtime',like turnip bashing or falling plate shoots.Great fun.

No bicykillgaz,it was never legal to hunt with handguns in this country if I recall correctly.

You don't HAVE to fire full weight magnums through magnum revolvers.When I shot pistols I loaded my own ammo(clubbing together makes it very cheap)and usually shot mild target loads through it,and they could be surprisingly accurate.Scored my first 10 in the black with a Ruger 'Bisley' .44 Magnum.We only loaded full weight magnums for 'playtime',like turnip bashing or falling plate shoots.Great fun.

No bicykillgaz,it was never legal to hunt with handguns in this country if I recall correctly.

One of the guys at the club has a .44 mag but he doesn't use it much more of a novelty. True you can down load them but i dont see the point a bit like buying a Ferrari and not taking it over 10 mph.

The most popular would be cz colt browning hp ect. Ammo would be .22 9mm .45- .40 is not popular.

Even though almost any pistol can be bought black powder would still be popular.

Edited by ordnance

Honest question,

Do you think the ban will ever be overturned? I'm not talking next week or anything, but years to come?

It wont if ALL shooters of all types dont sign this petition.

The irony is most people can get illegal firearms if they are determined enough. I agree with gun control but the pistol ban was justa stupid bit of polititcal chest beating.

.455 Webley. Great for shooting enraged natives. Hit `em pretty much anywhere and they don`t get up again.

Actually the .455 webley was sub .38 in its knock down power but you can have one on section 7 and if more people did we might get a result. Don't complain about the law if you don't push the limits. its there to do if pepole tried hard enough.

True you can down load them but i dont see the point a bit like buying a Ferrari and not taking it over 10 mph.

Not really,with the .44,the choice is there for either soft target loads or full weight mag's.With the Ferrari,you can't legally exceed 70mph on public roads in this country anyhow,so even less of a point.

Admittedly it'll get you there very rapidly,but even my old Landie will get there eventually!

My apologies,I'm just being pickie,I get your point.

We used to download our .357 loads to .38Special spec's for turning plate so as to speed up sight acquisition and for PP1&2.Heavier loads for skittles in .357 but for that I preferred the .45 ACP.Happy days! :good:

Had a nice collection of classics over the years also.

I can see no need what so ever for a weapon that weighs 5 or 6 lbs, and is limited accuracy wise to about 20 yards for use in the field. All this **** about humane dispatch etc, just use what you have to hand.

Maybe for paper punching, in which case hi cap low weight semi's like the Tanfangio? in 9mm or 357 seemed to be the weapon of choice for our world renowned practical pistol shooters before the ban. My one regret was that one day I did get to handle a Colt Python 357, its owner asked me if I wanted a go, foolishly I said another day, the following year the ban came along so I have never shot a centerfire pistol but used self loading Browning and Ruger rimmys for some years on target work.

A