Gun Snobs

Cosd

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will fall on deaf ears :sick:

I think you should get yourself a decent gun :oops:

I would reply but i dont make a habit of talking to people who only have a medalist :D

I will second that.......when I hit the big time and moved up to a second hand lanber, I would'nt give a Baikal owner the time of day.

I was speaking to my gun dealer today who was saying he could shoot just as well with the s/b 12g he was given 40 years ago as any £10,000+ gun!

If it shoots streight and it fits, why change it?

Toby :sick:

what even on fast simo pairs?

Guest RemmySPS

Mmmm it’s a funny old world isn’t it.

My next door neighbour thinks that anyone who talks posh is an idiot,

And anyone who drives a big flash car……is and idiot,

And anyone who has a beautiful wife or girlfriend is and idiot,

And anyone who had a very well paid job and has lots of money…… is and idiot,

……..can anyone sense a little bit of envy anywhere here. :sick::oops::D

All a bit strange really, most snobs I have found are the ones walking around with a 20k+ gun, but that wont make them a better shot (as been said many times before) All mine are budget guns, Bettinsoli, a 4 year old spanish SBS and an 80yr old Midland, the latter two bargain basements that have now been restored, and I think they are cracking guns, am happy with them and they all do the job fine. Provided you are happy with your gun and it's a comfortable fit, it's who's behind the trigger that makes a difference, not what name is on the action. That said, a cogswell has come up so offloading the lot and getting it, it may not fit, it might not be comfortable, but its got the name. What what

All a bit strange really, most snobs I have found are the ones walking around with a 20k+ gun, but that wont make them a better shot (as been said many times before) All mine are budget guns, Bettinsoli, a 4 year old spanish SBS and an 80yr old Midland, the latter two bargain basements that have now been restored, and I think they are cracking guns, am happy with them and they all do the job fine. Provided you are happy with your gun and it's a comfortable fit, it's who's behind the trigger that makes a difference, not what name is on the action. That said, a cogswell has come up so offloading the lot and getting it, it may not fit, it might not be comfortable, but its got the name. What what

It's funny how I have seen lots of people with expensive guns and I have yet to actually see someone with an expensive gun who is a rubbish shot <_<

Me neither, Mungler. I stood watching an elderly chap at Fennes this week belting midis screaming off the tower, with a Watson Bros 20b (a thing of beauty). I counted him 'kill' 19 ex 20, which is outstanding for a fixed-choke game gun firing 25g loads.

I'm not a gun snob, but as soon as i can afford it (if i can ever afford it) i will be buying a 20g Beretta 687EELL, i have no idea if it will make me shoot better (i doubt it will) but i just want to have said i have/had one, It's just the same as a few years ago i really wanted an impreza, i finally got it and keep it 2 months but at least i can say i owned one!!

It's funny how I have seen lots of people with expensive guns and I have yet to actually see someone with an expensive gun who is a rubbish shot :yes:

Bloke who sometimes goes to my local shoot has a Krieghoff, I've always beaten his score with my Mossberg ???

Nothing wrong with buying an expensive gun, if you can afford it.

If I could afford it, I'd buy shedloads of 'em. Krieghoff, DT10, Perazzi, F3, bring 'em on. One for every day of the week ???

However, I can't afford it, so I won't be buying them any time soon. :yes:

It's just nice to own beautiful things ???

All this criticism of expensive guns is just a green-eyed monster envy thing.

Edited by Chard

Nothing wrong with buying an expensive gun, if you can afford it.

If I could afford it, I'd buy shedloads of 'em. Krieghoff, DT10, Perazzi, F3, bring 'em on. One for every day of the week ???

However, I can't afford it, so I won't be buying them any time soon. :yes:

It's just nice to own beautiful things ???

All this criticism of expensive guns is just a green-eyed monster envy thing.

Very true.

It's all a bit chippy and must be horrible to continually begrudge others their possessions.

I have had a medalist for quite a few years and have shot most things with it.

Sporting

Skeet

Olympic Skeet

ABT

DTL

Double Trap

Grouse

Partridge

Wood Cock

Pheasants

Gease

Ducks

Moor Hens

Fox

Rabits

Squirels

Pigeons

Crows

Jays

Magpies

I am sure there are a few others I have forgoten.

My point is as a multi choke it is a versitile gun and if you point it in the right direction when you pull the trigger it will break or kill the target. I am not the best shot in the world but my Medalist has helped me win the A Class at my local 100 bird sporting comp the last two years on the trot that is a comp with 90-120 entrants.

In heind sight I would probably buy a good second hand Browning Berreta for what I paid for the Medalist. and it would be a better quality gun. I have had my medalist for a number of years now and I dont have a massive urge to upgrade because it does what I want it to do. No doubt once I have finished customizing my rifles at some point I will probably upgrade to a cynergy. I might even go for the plastic one just to provoke a reaction on the grouse moor (joke).

Referance the snobery thing; I know quite a few proper toffs through the shooting they tend to have the best and dont realy give a stuff what any one else has. It is the inbetween people who have more than most but not as much as the proper toffs that try to exert their status by havinga better gun car house etc.

Just my take on it.

Dave

I have seen people shoot game 'badly' with expensive guns, well expensive everything really from the obligatory RR Vogue to the high maintenance missus standing there just for an excuse to get dressed up.

They are mainly laughed at by beaters and pickers up all season long, until the keepers day shoots come along when it is their turn and things tend to go a bit quiet in the wagon.

Bloke who sometimes goes to my local shoot has a Krieghoff, I've always beaten his score with my Mossberg :yes:

Same here! Last Sunday I was shooting my old Remmy 1100 and missed the last bird out of ten fast crossers. Shooting next was a bloke with a super dooper Caesar Guerini that had more scroll-work than a well-tattooed *****. He commented on 'that old gas-pipe' that I'd just used.

He missed eight of them. He blamed the shells! If you have a 'nice' expensive gun - use it, don't flash it to belittle those of meagre means.

Edited by Floating Chamber

I certainly was implying that expensive guns are **** shots, merely that I detest the few with a work of art for a firearm who sneer at the person next to him/her with a budget gun. Admittably there are not many who do it, but those that do leave a bad taste, I suppose it's similar to the person turning up at a shot with a smaller bore and some others not agreeing with it debate.

I have now sold all my expensive guns and bought an Auto ??? and NO I never had a Lanber thing, but have seen useless shots use them ??? they just do not understand what spending the extra £1500 would do for them ???

If they bought a decent gun in the first place it would save all those misses ???

K80 are pants to heavy :yes:

I have now sold all my expensive guns and bought an Auto ??? and NO I never had a Lanber thing, but have seen useless shots use them ??? they just do not understand what spending the extra £1500 would do for them ???

If they bought a decent gun in the first place it would save all those misses ???

K80 are pants to heavy :yes:

Never a truer word spoken,

The old "It goes bang when I pull the trigger so what is the difference"

I almost shudder at the thought of the times I've seen a local gent out with one of his ancient purdeys leaning it up against fences in the mud, getting it soaked etc etc just generally not giving a toss about it. I'm told by his keeper its one of a matched pair and they're rather valuable but he cannot get him to look after them properly. What it must be like to have enough money to not care

I almost shudder at the thought of the times I've seen a local gent out with one of his ancient purdeys leaning it up against fences in the mud, getting it soaked etc etc just generally not giving a toss about it. I'm told by his keeper its one of a matched pair and they're rather valuable but he cannot get him to look after them properly. What it must be like to have enough money to not care

:yes:

hence cheap and cheerful for me, i dont care if the mossys get run over by a truck when im out - as long as im not holding them at the time that is ???

but whatever floats your boat

For all i do not like this fact of snobbery shown in the original post, i also feel that an expensive gun such as a holland is a piece of art, when you look at the craftsmanship that has gone into it and that they look as good as they do after 80 years it is amazing. I know someone who had a pair of 1920's Purdey until the got stolen and has replaced them with a pair of Hollands. They are the most beautiful guns i have ever seen and so feel they should be appreciate as art and the assumption it is for a snob or bad shot should not be made. However i do feel someone like in that first post who mocks a person's gun is simply a **** nothing else.

George