My First Muntjac

Beardo

Well i did it!

Picked Stealth Stalker up at 5am and headed up to the farm.

When we got there, we saw the farmer had combined the big field between the two woods (wheat), he must have done it last night as i was up there yesterday morning.

Result!

As we drove up the track, we saw a Muntjac doe about 150 yards up the field - she didn't hang around, but no worries - as we were in the vehicle at that point anyway.

So we parked up and commenced the stalk.

20 to 30 mins later, we approach the end of the cut field as it hits a bend - bingo - there's a young buck at the end.

We didn't have a clear shot from where we were, so we stealthily crept up to the bend and i could just see him turn around to head back into the field.

So we stopped where we were and i put the rifle on the sticks.

Sure enough, he then slowly came into where i could take a good shot.

I was trembling with adrenaline at this point, so calmed myself down and waiting til he presented a nice clean shot.

I fired and he dropped instantly.

We observed the scene for a while and then finally approached the buck.

c5baf0b272d18a7460983985f98fba04.jpg

f570b26071854d66c233786ae1f2122d.jpg

SS showed me the gralloch and off home we went.

336fac0dd71d1875cd96e05653908bf0.jpg

Prepped the carcass and removed the pluck - i recovered the bullet head, it had ripped through the ribcage and had almost exited the other side.

6eea2400e705fea356d6cd76cdb77e66.jpg

An amazing experience - the stalk was fantastic, and i'm very pleased the deer was killed cleanly.

Something i will never forget.

Big thanks again to SS for showing me the way.

Although the Muntjac breeds all year long, the bucks still have a yearly antler cycle. They shed their antlers in May and lose the velvet on their new pair in September, with the first set budding at around six months of age, whatever the time of year. The Muntjac bucks usually have four-inch long antlers with a curved-in tip, and often a small brow tine.