Anyone had a bag on peas yet ?

fenboy

The extended tree bud/new leaf season has been the culprit this year. Ash leaves are still being munched on now, but not for much longer. So I for one will expect pigeons to start hitting the peas hard, and I think you will find peas will still feature highly on the menu, along with spring rape or mustard if you are lucky enough to have some available.

A good observation.

On an amusing note about peas, a field was drilled with peas just outside this village last week. The day after it was drilled and the day after that there was a decoyer sitting in his hide with an array of decoys and a rotary. I never heard him have a shot. The pigeons had obviously not found the field at that early stage. He was wasting his time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The extended tree bud/new leaf season has been the culprit this year. Ash leaves are still being munched on now, but not for much longer. So I for one will expect pigeons to start hitting the peas hard, and I think you will find peas will still feature highly on the menu, along with spring rape or mustard if you are lucky enough to have some available.

It has been a very long budding season this year I'm just hoping that they produce some acorns this year as the trees were devoid of them last year but it did put them onto the rape.

With the green policy this year the amount of peas is unprecedented and I'm looking forward to some good stubble shooting on my return. I think my best bags so far are 50 qpand 58

I have been out 5 times in two weeks on local pea fields around Norfolk, best so far was 5 birds and average is just 3 for an average of 4 hours hide time,the last time two of us sat from 8 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon, he had 5 and I had just 1, what a waste of time, the farm manager say's when im not there the place is blue with them, but the most Ive seen on a field is 50 or so,I dropped in on some newly sprouting sugar beet yesterday, and had 7 in 3 hours with many more coming in, my aim was a bit off *****, after only using a box of cartridges in the last two weeks its no wonder im a bit rusty, its my first year on peas and so disappointing after some of the stories I have been told, roll on harvest time, :no::no:

My pal has bucked the trend. He is the jammy rascal that has sole permission on a small park estate in North-Nothumberland that has a very big pigeon population. He shot good bags in the autumn that I reported. The pea fields are in the same vicinity. He has shot 2 pea fields 4 times, once each on drilling and once each on sprouting plants. Total for 4 outings 675. The birds show no signs of switching off and he is in the lucky position of being able to leave them until they build up nicely then choose a day when the wind/weather is right.

I am growing to dislike him with every passing outing lol!

replying to JDog's and PC's post

• Best day on peas i have ever had was on a freshly drilled field a day old

• I forcast a bumper crop of acorns this year....the oaks are in very very good condition this year....very thick well formed leaf canopy ...and the leaves have a slighty waxy sheen to them....last few years they have been looking a bit worn out ...

In all the years that I have been taking decoying seriously, this is the quietest May I have known for pigeon activity. I really do expect things to change in the next fortnight to three weeks. I reckon fields that have been devoid of pigeons will be showing plenty, with the added bonus (perhaps) of being less decoy shy than usual.

In all the years that I have been taking decoying seriously, this is the quietest May I have known for pigeon activity. I really do expect things to change in the next fortnight to three weeks. I reckon fields that have been devoid of pigeons will be showing plenty, with the added bonus (perhaps) of being less decoy shy than usual.

You could have fooled me.

had a call yesterday afternoon about pigeon on some peas, had a look this morning when taking the dogs out. Not one!

Was hoping i might get a bit of sport

try looking very late afternoon birds sometimes at this time of year feed very late indeed definitely worth a look around 6 pm

• 4 weeks later...

My pal has bucked the trend. He is the jammy rascal that has sole permission on a small park estate in North-Nothumberland that has a very big pigeon population. He shot good bags in the autumn that I reported. The pea fields are in the same vicinity. He has shot 2 pea fields 4 times, once each on drilling and once each on sprouting plants. Total for 4 outings 675. The birds show no signs of switching off and he is in the lucky position of being able to leave them until they build up nicely then choose a day when the wind/weather is right.

I am growing to dislike him with every passing outing lol!

Latest update on my pal on his peas. He shot another 105 on Sunday.

Apparently shot the majority between 6 and 8 pm.

Still no invite.....

Still no invite.....

..........and will you reciprocate by not inviting him at harvest time on your land?

..........and will you reciprocate by not inviting him at harvest time on your land?

Ha! I'm looking for a bite from him JDog. He is a good pal of mine and we both reciprocate with invites to pigeons, ducks, geese and pheasant days.

He is a bit precious about this permission mind - cant imagine why :hmm:

Been watching 6 pea fields since drilled and only set up once when just chitting out of lack options....shot about 5 I think. Crop has been in flower for over a week now and this week have had increasing numbers hitting one field. Had about 250 this lunchtime. Plan to get out tomorrow morning as a good wind and rain in the afternoon. Unfortunately the crop is a healthy height and will be difficult to retrieve birds from it without doing some damage. Have one thin spot in the shade of an large oak so plan to have the hide against the oak with wind left to right AND try to restrict shots to the kill zone where they can be retrieved. May have to leave most second shots but I won't leave wounded birds unretrieved and my dog will do more damage than the pigeons in the healthy crop....typically two of the other fields have a wide margin of poor crop on heavier ground which the dog wouldn't damage and hardly a pigeon in sight on them.

With regards earlier posts on lack of pigeons on peas due to peas not been tender due to dry weather....I don't think this is the case. When ever I walk a pea crop I always eat a few shoots and they are always sweet and tender (go well in a smoked pigeon breast salad!). I think lack of pigeons on crops in May was due to them on the tree buds....still plenty of pigeons in the woods.

Been watching 6 pea fields since drilled and only set up once when just chitting out of lack options....shot about 5 I think. Crop has been in flower for over a week now and this week have had increasing numbers hitting one field. Had about 250 this lunchtime. Plan to get out tomorrow morning as a good wind and rain in the afternoon. Unfortunately the crop is a healthy height and will be difficult to retrieve birds from it without doing some damage. Have one thin spot in the shade of an large oak so plan to have the hide against the oak with wind left to right AND try to restrict shots to the kill zone where they can be retrieved. May have to leave most second shots but I won't leave wounded birds unretrieved and my dog will do more damage than the pigeons in the healthy crop....typically two of the other fields have a wide margin of poor crop on heavier ground which the dog wouldn't damage and hardly a pigeon in sight on them.

With regards earlier posts on lack of pigeons on peas due to peas not been tender due to dry weather....I don't think this is the case. When ever I walk a pea crop I always eat a few shoots and they are always sweet and tender (go well in a smoked pigeon breast salad!). I think lack of pigeons on crops in May was due to them on the tree buds....still plenty of pigeons in the woods.

I agree 100%.

Shot on peas yesterday with a pal,been watching them for a few days with 3-400 present most of the day but most activity after lunch.First hour or so was slow but had a bit of shooting from2.30 on.Plenty of birds about and some decoyed perfectly.We ended up with a modest 36,not as many as I expected from watching the previous activity but an enjoyable afternoon .It was very warm !

Still no invite.....

Sorry to be boring but my pal had another 83 on the peas on Sunday. He has placed a pallet hide in the middle of the field as the birds were getting very decoy shy. Again he had 20 up to 6pm and shot the rest up to 8.30pm.