Knife Collecting

loriusgarrulus

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like for shoot days only a very nice English made lambs foot pocket knife with bone or horn scales and a dark steel carbon blade like my grandad used for years but I've never found a good one. I looked at a dozen or so over the years in a good shops all Sheffield made but not one was right, quality just wasn't there the blades were poor or not lined up right etc.

Exercise your Google-fu for Russell White knives - he may well be the man you are looking for... Edited by CaptainBeaky

I have No 7 opinels, carbon and stainless, which I use in the field the most - the carbon is superb and can hold a razor edge well. I have a really nice Fieldcrafter fixed blade that stays at home (it's too nice to loose) but I use that for everything around the house and garden. I've got various other Leatherman/Gerber/Wenger/Victorinox multi tools that live in various drawers and bags and a handy all stainless lock knife that gets used for the really dirty jobs. All in all I've got about a dozen regularly used knives but I've got room for a few more.

One day I'll forge my own blade but I just don't have enough time at the moment.

a very handy size ..... I keep a couple around and one I keep so sharp for use in cutting dead skin off my feet - it looks scary but I have never cut myself with it and my feet come back feeling all fresh and smooth !!!!

I hope to never have to take my feet to an expensive pedophile ever again

I have s few including a Colt drop point bought in Missouri, a Sheffield made Samual Seeds double edged carbon steel hunting knife (Sadly, that factory I think is closed down now), a Whitby lockknife (rubbish

steel which doesn't keep an edge) and a Mora Companion carbon steel field knife which has proved the most useful (and cheapest!).

Edited by Savhmr

I have a lot of knifes but the main ones I use are my SOG spring assisted knife which I would not go shooting without; my Opinel no 7 and 6 which I mainly use at home in the garden and my Dad's pocket knife from his days in the RAF.

I used to collect Chinese knives ('cos it was all I could afford), like Sanrenmu (710!), Navy and Enlan. I realized it was getting a bit silly when I had like 15 lower end knives I had no use for.

Still though if you need a knife for work use or whatever these Chinese knives are serious value, a lot of them are made in the same factories as well known brands; you could get a knife that would easily be priced at around £30 for $10 shipped.

Edited by PeaceFrog

Im probably wrong but I thought any lock knife is illegal to carry without good reason. I think the No6 is the largest that won't lock - or ping the lock ring off a No7 if its short enough.

I think your correct in that you must have a reasonable cause for carrying any blade. I would only have one on my person forshooti g/fishing etc .. That said l have on the odd occasion found my old WWII penknife in my pocket when l've popped the shops, and l've done a spot of gardening. Think l will go for the Opinel No8

Just bought one of these :)

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=e7c3f6d2e94ee1bb21509feef9d81adf&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=313221&p=2837675&md5check=3cf62fe48f5d0079ae1850f4811ed5cc&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,l2her4LU6Kw');//]]></script> 11168011_1686688928213607_13506732562868&&0

The very last available Fieldcrafter-UK knife from Matt Simmons! Been after one for ages and when I saw that this was the last one available, it had to be done.

good on you, you won't regret it. i'm still in awe of the bloke since he made me a tanto, bloody awesome so it is

I used to collect Chinese knives ('cos it was all I could afford), like Sanrenmu (710!), Navy and Enlan. I realized it was getting a bit silly when I had like 15 lower end knives I had no use for.

Still though if you need a knife for work use or whatever these Chinese knives are serious value, a lot of them are made in the same factories as well known brands; you could get a knife that would easily be priced at around £30 for $10 shipped.

Thanks for the tip, I've just ordered an Enlan M028 for £7.50 shipped! Worth a try for the price.

I have some very good steel knives from China, also some bad ones. I've been around some knife/blade makers and one of their big issues is not being able to get hold of Western grade steel and local batch variations in quality.

Shame really as there are some great knife making skills there. I have about 5 Chinese knives with very wide blades like our old cleaver designs but very thin steel, I'd not be without them.

Thanks for the tip, I've just ordered an Enlan M028 for £7.50 shipped! Worth a try for the price.

Np man, they are very good value for sure. They usually come usably sharp but not hair shavingly so, they love their 8Cr13MoV!

Ooh, I don't have a M028, looks nice though, I'd bet a lot of money that you will be happy with it especially for only £7.50. I used to buy mine from exduct but they do ship from China so the delivery is like 3 weeks. Looking now I think the prices have risen a bit these past 3 or so years but I guess that's just inflation really.

Edit, started looking through exduct, seriously considering buying some more knives...

Edited by PeaceFrog