Do you need to be good at skeet to be good at sporting

nicknsd1978

Having a real torid time of late with skeet to the point that I'm ready to give it up. No matter how hard I try I'm just not getting it. At best I'm getting 20 but I have tried sporting now 3 times and getting 28 out of 50 which I'm rather chuffed with. I know it's not the best score but it's so much more fun than skeet....my question is though if I'm rubbish at skeet am I ever going to get to grips with sporting?

Have you tried shooting at a different clay ground regarding skeet and and sporting. A place I used to go had two sporting layouts, one i could clear up with a 20b sxs with game cartridges and the other with my 12b and clay carts, my best was 32/50. I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Edited by Albert 888

Nick, 20 isn't a bad score at skeet so don't be disheartened. Spending an hour with a good coach would see you score higher too, although relatively simple in that it is alway the same presentation of targets, barring the influence of weather, there are so many areas where poor technique will cost you dearly.

Skeet covers lots of the fundamentals of sporting so it really is a great place to spend time and hone technique, but you want to make sure that your technique is sound to start with.

It is possible to try too hard and you are maybe at that point just now, so a good coach will take you back to first principles and will work from the ground up to make sure that your stance, posture, mount, hold points, kill points, etc are all where they should be. Getting that right and seeing a higher score will lift your confidence too and that will carry on to the sporting layout.

As grrclark has said above 20 isn't rubbish. The trouble is when you go shoot & watch others shoot who have probably been shooting some time they make it look very easy ! - don't beat yourself up, don't feel you're rubbish or you'll never reach your goal ;) be positive, think about every shot, be fluent, don't try too hard & you may just surprise yourself :good:

Skeet is a regimental, repetitive discipline and it's all about technique and mental approach (same as trap). It will give you a good foundation to build from as a lot of the shots in skeet are similar to what you will find at sporting.

20 for a beginner isn't bad so dont beat yourself up. George Digweed cut his teeth at skeet before sporting.

I've shot with shooters who shoot other disciplines, Team GB gold winners and world champions, on a skeet range and they couldn't shoot it for toffee. Just because you're not the greatest at one discipline does not mean you can't excel at another.

Nothing wrong with a score of 20 at skeet .

Me and my lad always start a session with a round of skeet ,just gets everything warmed up and moving correctly .

As Gee says it is quite a regimented format but i reckon that can only be a good thing in regards to getting a consistent mount ,foot position and lead perception .

Don't get too hung up on scores just enjoy it and you'll find the scores will improve .

hello, going back very many years in the now gone oxford clay pigeon club we had a skeet lay out/ down the line/and sporting, i to could not get on with skeet but DTL and sporting was ok, i say ok but i could never do like some scores that were always in the high 20s on a 25 bird shoot, my best at sporting was 22/25 but i had a very early 1980s double trigger BRNU O/U but the back trigger fired both barrels, cannot remember the model but it put my score up to a reasonable level, but most of all like duck and swing i to just enjoyed a day out with good company.

hello, going back very many years in the now gone oxford clay pigeon club we had a skeet lay out/ down the line/and sporting, i to could not get on with skeet but DTL and sporting was ok, i say ok but i could never do like some scores that were always in the high 20s on a 25 bird shoot, my best at sporting was 22/25 but i had a very early 1980s double trigger BRNU O/U but the back trigger fired both barrels, cannot remember the model but it put my score up to a reasonable level, but most of all like duck and swing i to just enjoyed a day out with good company.

i think one of the club members was M Rouse who was a very good shot maybe someone on here can confirm if my memory is correct?

When you look at it, you are getting 80% at Skeet and 56% at Sporting,

Skeet teaches you about angles and lead, all of which you need at Sporting,

A good Sporting shoot will beat you with different speeds and angles, not distant crossers, at the Essex last year I dropped more on silly close in stuff than I did on the distant crossers.

Keep up with the Skeet, it will stand you in good stead

:shaun:

I started off as a sporting shooter and really struggled the first few times I shot skeet. In fact I only improved at it when I switched to a longer barrelled gun. Once I started to get the hang of it and my scores crept up into the early 20s I began to really enjoy it. The funny thing was as I began to take it more seriously and really wanted to improve, my average scores started to drop a little. No doubt I was getting frustrated by misses because I wanted to do well and overthinking it for the same reason. However it definitely improved my sporting shooting, especially crossing targets.

A good Sporting shoot will beat you with different speeds and angles, not distant crossers, at the Essex last year I dropped more on silly close in stuff than I did on the distant crossers.

:shaun:

We quite often set up a slow, close in bird at the shoot and a lot of people seem to have trouble with that kind of target. Not sure if they take it for granted or just don`t realise how accurate they need to be for such a close target.

My one and only venture out of the 70's at sporting was when I shot a 90/100. It stood as the high gun until a late shooter hit a 91. He was a 17 year old who represented his country at SKEET.

Skeet targets are close and probably akin to the glass ball and feather era though perhaps much faster.

Today's sporting clay targets are thrown at distances and speeds which many would not dream of firing at for fear of wounding and the pure fact they may not have even seen it. I know of one local, regular, competition where some targets are over 50 metres. This type of shoot is set up to be won by a pro and not your every day man out for enjoyment once or twice a month.

Edited by B25Modelman

Coming from Behind

To straighten the angle and work out the lead

Concentration and practise are all that you need

Unless in the first instance most targets you miss

Then you may find some instruction will not go amiss

Skeet targets are closer as they whizz through the sky

How on earth did I miss them you ask yourself why?

Sporting’s more perplexing varied array

Can dishearten even the gifted on any given day

With time, practise, money and some ability

Success will surely be yours eventually

Sometimes success at the beginning can foster despair round the bend

Or if at the start you can’t hit a barn-door, don’t worry my friend

The hare lost to the tortoise as Aesop did say

And reputations of champions can be built upon clay!

STOTTO

Regards

Coming from Behind

To straighten the angle and work out the lead

Concentration and practise are all that you need

Unless in the first instance most targets you miss

Then you may find some instruction will not go amiss

Skeet targets are closer as they whizz through the sky

How on earth did I miss them you ask yourself why?

Sportings more perplexing varied array

Can dishearten even the gifted on any given day

With time, practise, money and some ability

Success will surely be yours eventually

Sometimes success at the beginning can foster despair round the bend

Or if at the start you cant hit a barn-door, dont worry my friend

The hare lost to the tortoise as Aesop did say

And reputations of champions can be built upon clay!

STOTTO

Regards

Very good wish I could use that at times!!!!

i think one of the club members was M Rouse who was a very good shot maybe someone on here can confirm if my memory is correct?

Yes, Micky rouse is a fine shot, exceptionally quick when he needs to be and is still on the shooting scene.

I shot my first ever 100 Reg Sporting with him back in God knows when, I do remember it was a squadded event at Hinksey Hill Farm GC, Oxford, a lovely little ground, but very close to some large houses which, inevitably meant it's days were numbered, and, sadly it closed a good few years back.

As for Skeet being good practice for Sporting, I would personally recommend it, you get all sorts of angles, and you learn timing on the pairs, excellent all round practice, ask that Guy Digweed, he's shot a few rounds of Skeet earlier in his career.

Cat.

When you look at it, you are getting 80% at Skeet and 56% at Sporting,

Skeet teaches you about angles and lead, all of which you need at Sporting,

:shaun:+1. skeet is good grounding and under estimated.........sporting is more fun and more challengeing but skeet is good for you!