4x4 Automatic

billytheghillie

Probably thirstier but very convenient because you can drive one handed if you like to shoot off the door mirror. I drive (off road) holding the rifle on the door with the fore stock located in the gap between the door and mirror. Headlight lamping is great and a lot quicker to set up if you happen upon something straight ahead.

The shooting position has the entire body fully supported, including arms and shoulder, its better than a bench rest assuming the wind isn't strong enough to move the vehicle.

Edited by Dave-G

Have always been a 'manual' driver but current car is BMW X1 Xdrive Auto and its superb. Great for towing horse box, great off road as well s in city driving. Fuel economy is slightly less than manual (approx 42 V 46 mpg) which a good friend runs. Bonus is much easier to drive and actually more fun in some ways with and 8 speed auto box.

Guess it's down to individual choice.

Andy

Auto all the way.......

MPG is slightly lower on an auto compared to a manual, especially if you're heavy footed taking off from standstill. But if you accept the difference on how the car drives with an auto box and sensible on the pedal, the difference should only be slight.

The 4x4 mechanism will be the biggest influence on the MPG compared to a 2 wheel drive car.

I recently bought a captiva auto. It's my first auto and I didn't really want that gearbox but now I have got used to it I'm wondering why I didn't get one years ago. Mpg is about 40 ish on the motorway and about 30 around town. Haven't had chance to get it muddy yet but I will do at some point.

Edited by Rexcernui

I still think that if you want to do a reasonable amount off road and you know how to drive off road amanual is the way to go.

David.

More and more competition vehicles are auto now, and have been going that way for years. Get in the clag and you can't change gear with a manual, you can with auto :good: Engine braking is irrelevant as you use the brakes anyway, regardless of what "The book" says