What do you make of this

four-wheel-drive

This afternoon I went to look at a Jeep that was for sale in a garage near to me it is a 2007 Jeep Cherokee Diesel auto priced at £3990 well I phoned the guy up and went to see it and I loved it.

But the guy said that he could not give me what I wanted for my car as it is a 2003 and they do not sell cars that old they send them to be auctioned.

After talking about it for a while I said that I would go home and think about it and see if there was any way that I could come up with the money so I took the dog out for a walk.

when I got back I thought as I loved the jeep so much I will see if I can come up with some more cash but when I looked on Autotrader to find the guys phone number this is what I found.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/jeep/cherokee/postcode/sn130qw/radius/20/price-from/1000/price-to/4500/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/automatic/sort/default/page/1/searchcontext/default/onesearchad/used

I do not no what I did but it would seem that the guy really does not want me to have that Jeep to the extent that he put the price up by £500.

Quite a lot of these modern vehicles are devourers of your money these days. I saw one or two low mileage P38 Range Rovers at what I thought where rather silly prices, some even had LPG fitted. I called to see my local LR Guru and suggested I might buy one. After he peeled himself off the ceiling ... well a passing cloud actually as we were standing outside, he in more gentle terms explained to me the problems associated with the model. I think the same goes for all of these posh 4x4s, even saw a Porsche advertised today for around £3500 and only 10yrs old ... lost about £5000 a year !!!! Dread to think the cost of repairs on that.

I had a Jeep Cherokee 4ltr for ten years only sold it just over a year ago downsizing so I do now a bit about Jeeps for all of the problems with them I still love driving them they still have the manual high low transfer case proper four wheel drive.

I am not into all of this electronic stuff that is why I like that Jeep its a pity really I do not now why the guy put the price up like that but there is no way that I will be paying that much for it.

Was the higher, original.price the forecourt price? Or was it the autotrader price?

If it was higher on forecourt then it's a very common practise. Seen countless like that. They do it to allow PX etc. Stupid imo. I always have a look online first.

As they mostly sell very quite expensive cars it was not put out on the forecourt the guy told me that it was a trade in that they new and have looked after for quite a while.

He said and it sounds logical to me cars that they take in the cheaper ones go to auction those to good for auction like this one they put on autotrader so it had no for sale price on it and it was parked around the back having said that it did look to be in mint condition.

I was quite annoyed at the time but have come to the conclusion that if they behave like that I would not want to deal with them and perhaps it is all for the best.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

He knows your keen. Walk away they're not that good a car, have a good read online I liked the look of them and did a bit of research on them, in a nutshell thirsty noisy unrefined not very powerful or fast and expensive to fix. But if you like them you like them

Sorry mate but I have to disagree a bit with you .......I've had a xtrail for the laat 4 yr but due to my back getting worse and affecting my left leg I tpok the decision to look for an automatic 4x4 but I only had a small budget ......any way after taking a trip from Newcastle to 5 miles away from Heathrow airport to look at p38 rangey that had the seller told me the auto box was knackered I would not have went I came home empty handed ....then my sister from kent got in touch to tell me a neighbour of hers was selling a 2003 jeep grand cherokee 2.7crd that he had owned from new with full rhistory for £1700. I have now completely changed my mind about them its automatic with all the toys still working pulls like a train is very comfortable and got back home on just under £40 diesel with the cruise control set at 75mph so based on my experience up to date I love it