Moderated shotguns

Cosd

Who on here uses a moderated shottie?

Really interesting article in this months Sporting Gun, and it does begin to make sense that when the woodies are being spooked easily and especially whilst they are flocked in big numbers, it has to pay dividend to use one of these ugly looking guns. They also come into there own when there is decent shooting to be had but it is near housing or animals horses etc.

Do these guns need or work better (more silent) using special cartridges?

What's your view guys, good bad or indifferent?

I have been using a hushpower 410 over last few months, Have to say I am not sure if it is any good or not, I have been using a friends but dont think I will be investing in one, maybe the 20 bore would be a better choice.

Have tried it lamping in a field with horses where rifles are not allowed, it still spookes the horses and I think a moderated .22 would be better, not tried it on the pigeons.

Doc :good:

Edited by docholiday

I've got a baikal stealth fully modded .410 and think it's brilliant.

I've used it to drop rabbits, magpies and pigeons on the wing.

With the 3" carts it's basically got the same sensible range as a 12bore but with a tighter pattern.

It's very quiet, I use mine in the back garden shooting over a wooded area and the neighbours have never been bothered about it.

I find they sound a lot louder when you are firing them than they actually are. If you move 30 yds away it's very quiet indeed. Similar to a springer air rifle.

I use mine when shooting in fields near to houses at night or for round the farmyard, when used with subsonics its really quiet. Ive also used it for roost shooting so as not to spook birds comeing into the woods and have brought down some really high pigeons with it. My mates got one of the mossberg/hushpower pumps which i dont think is as quiet but gets around the single shot problem.

Let's take a single shot bakial .410.

Pros: It's quiet

It's a shotgun! (i.e you can shoot stuff in tress/the air)

Cons

- Expensive to run (£6 per 25 3' subsonics)

- Single shot

- Hard to shoot with (tight grouped .410 after all)

IF you want something to take rabbits out - your best bet is a good old fashioned air-rifle. But, if you want something quiet to carry around picking off Pest birds from trees and so on, I'd go for a hushy.

Don't be fooled by how quiet they are - it'll still spook things within a 50-100m range.

20G moderated is the way to go, it shares most of the virtues of both .410 and 12g.

I love mine and have had some incredible shots with it :lol:

:lol:

Iv owned a few for a couple of years now. For pigeons, the O/U 20b using the hushpower 30g 5's, subsonic loads is a good bit of kit. To heavy to lug around, but does the job very well in the hide :lol:

The 410 pump is my preferred tool for lamping rabbits at night :blush:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=98915&hl=

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=93679&hl=

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=71880&hl=

I have the Baikal with the 9inch moderator, not as quiet as the fully moderated version, but quiet in open fields , but not so quiet near buildings or in large walled gardens, the subsonic ammo is hard to get ,I use regular 3inch or 2inch for close work, it is a lot quieter than a normal .410 ,and it holds its pattern tight, infact it shoots more like a rifle than a shotgun. not so good for moving targets but I have shot clays with it for a bit of fun.

I have two. One is the hushpowered mossberg .410 pump gun, i feed it with standard velocity 14g lyvale no5 or 6s. I've tried the 3" 18g eley subs but have not found them to be quieter - from the firer's point of view anyway. Its great for close range pigeons, squirrels and rabbits.

The second is a greener GP martini action 12 bore. The mod is like a drain pipe, but its very quiet with subsonics. I think it would be quicker to load than a single barrel pedretti or baikal, but its obviously not as good as having a pump gun.

Moderated shotties are quite addictive - it feels great to cut the noise down and I've no doubt it leads to bigger bags when lamping or decoyying etc.

I too went down the hushpower route, as my permission has a noise issue, and I love them, have both a 410 and a 12 pedretti, just saving the £'s for a mossburg pump

single shot is a pain, but it makes you consider the shot more, rather than knowing you have a 2nd or 3rd if you miss

post-3731-1255405128.jpg

and as a pest control tool/humaine fox control, they are second to none, woke up this morning around noon (night worker) to find this dog fox in the trap in the chicken coop

quick,easy,humaine dispatch

used a magnum exfra long 75mm sub sonic cart

post-3731-1255436697.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i made the mistake of buying a mossberg 12g hush power, not very quiet, did kill well tho, waxing rabbits at 40yds with subsonic cartridges. Went one better and made a moderator for my benelli, got an extended choke and had it threaded, got some very high pressure s/s pipe and drilled some holes in it for the barrel extension then got it polished/ reamed. had 2 plates made from 10mm alli with offset holes to fit on the barrel ext to make the moderator "underslung", this meant that only 3/4 inch of the mod shows above the barrel. then found some 100mm i/d alli tube[ think this came from a boiler flue] which is very thin. Put this all together and it does work very well, the whole thing is 300mm long and 100mm o/d. i've used this with a bipod laying prone for rabbits in the hedgerow with superb results, a bit big and wieldy for flying birds tho, the overall length of barrel with the mod is 37" but it does come apart easy for transport/ regular use. Want one?

i made the mistake of buying a mossberg 12g hush power, not very quiet, did kill well tho, waxing rabbits at 40yds with subsonic cartridges. Went one better and made a moderator for my benelli, got an extended choke and had it threaded, got some very high pressure s/s pipe and drilled some holes in it for the barrel extension then got it polished/ reamed. had 2 plates made from 10mm alli with offset holes to fit on the barrel ext to make the moderator "underslung", this meant that only 3/4 inch of the mod shows above the barrel. then found some 100mm i/d alli tube[ think this came from a boiler flue] which is very thin. Put this all together and it does work very well, the whole thing is 300mm long and 100mm o/d. i've used this with a bipod laying prone for rabbits in the hedgerow with superb results, a bit big and wieldy for flying birds tho, the overall length of barrel with the mod is 37" but it does come apart easy for transport/ regular use. Want one?

We need photo's :good:

Just getting used to mine. Had the raise the comb and it still needs a bit of weight to the stock and as its still a bit on the short side that will happen when I extend the butt. It shoots a bit low but the so does my auto, at least it does when I shoot it.

The hushy is very quiet with Gamebore 30grm 5# in subsonic and has all the range of a 12g especially as it has full and full choked barrels. Very little perceived recoil which means its great on clays and pigeons.

GH

I have the .410 Pedretti version and regularly use my mates 12 bore version of the same make.

Must say they are definatly quieter than the un-moderated equivelents with subsonic carts, but definatly not as quiet as the statistics for hushpower shotguns would lead you to believe. The 12 bore can still be heard over 600 yards away through a line of trees, though does not have the same ringing crack as the un-moderated, it is still audiable over background noise.

The only time they are really quiet is when shooting in dense woodland / shrubbery, which breaks the bang.

I therefore have mixed views about these guns, I dont think they are quiet enough for shooting in close proximity of housing and the like where noise complaints are likely, however may spook less birds, and reduce complaints in general. A PCP air-rifle is still probably the best bet when noise really is an issue.

Hope this helps.

Just getting used to mine. Had the raise the comb and it still needs a bit of weight to the stock and as its still a bit on the short side that will happen when I extend the butt. It shoots a bit low but the so does my auto, at least it does when I shoot it.

The hushy is very quiet with Gamebore 30grm 5# in subsonic and has all the range of a 12g especially as it has full and full choked barrels. Very little perceived recoil which means its great on clays and pigeons.GH

What you need on most hushies is one of these

clicky

Well what I mean is it was just right to straighten my gun to shoot flat and then I packed the butt with SG shot and now the balance is restored so it swings nicely. There not super quiet but good fun and I can hit stuff now the cheek is raised (needa about 20mm on the mossy)