What do you think about this answer ?

Rizzini

A question sent in to sporting shooter.

Q. I have a 3 shot semi-automatic gun and have been invited on a pheasant day. Can I use ir or should i use a different gun?

A. Neville Grill replies. You shouldn't take a semi-automatic on a driven day for a number of reasons. The first is that most of the other guns will only have two barrels and thus two chances at a bird. You, however, would potentially have three shots, so your fellow guns might feel you should pay 50% more!.

Secondly, when not on your peg its important to be able to show to guns and beaters that the gun is unloaded, which hard to achieve with a semi-auto. And, for an occasion where etiquette and tradition are important, it's simply not 'done'.

What do you think about this answer?

Edited by Rizzini

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q. I have a 3 shot semi-automatic gun and have been invited on a pheasant day. Can I use ir or should i use a different gun?

A. Neville Grill replies. You shouldn't take a semi-automatic on a driven day for a number of reasons. The first is that most of the other guns will only have two barrels and thus two chances at a bird. You, however, would potentially have three shots, so your fellow guns might feel you should pay 50% more!.

Secondly, when not on your peg its important to be able to show to guns and beaters that the gun is unloaded, which hard to achieve with a semi-auto. And, for an occasion where etiquette and tradition are important, it's simply not 'done'.

I for one am against this answer, i have sent in an Email to sporting shooter, and if you do buy this magazine, keep an eye on the letter part as i have written a letter. If you want to write to sporting shooter complaining about this then please send your emails here letters@sportingshooter.co.uk

I agree with the answer.If the peasants can only afford cheap and cheerful semis they should stick to pigeon shooting or some other worthless form of shooting the commoners do,when they should be working though.Floggings to good for them and they should be put in their place.I dont like putting my best Purdeys anywhere near these weapons,as i hear dutch elm can jump from stock to stock and that just wouldnt do,wouldnt do i say!!! :good:

On a lighter note,the only reason im not overly keen is for the other guns feeling unsafe with the semi not being a broken gun,but with an empty case in the action or that orange things you can put in them does overcome this.It is a form of snobbery,and im not like that i real life you know. :good:

Don't know about anybody else but after shooting at my peg my O&U is slipped and doesn't reappear again until I'm back on a peg. And when I'm on a peg I'm not waving a gun, broken or otherwise, at my fellow guns, beaters or anybody else.

So what's the difference between a semi-auto in a slip and a SxS or O&U in a slip? Nobody knows whether they're loaded or not except the guy who put it in there. Which brings me to another point, how many have seen people handle guns perfectly all day, only to sleeve them and wave them about like Sainsbury's carrots? I saw one gun in transport with his chin on his barrel muzzles between drives, because the gun was slipped he was safe :good: don't think so.

There is absolutly no reason why a self loader cannot be used on a driven day if loaded with only two cartridges . Provided the gun is put into a slip after a drive then it is as safe as any other gun . It is a snob thing . Only chaves shoot self loaders . Twenty years ago over and unders were frowned upon as a driven gun and are now proberbly more used than side by sides . I have shot all driven game with a self loader over the years albeit not on a snob shoot . I also shoot a side by side sidelock as a peg gun and I enjoy both guns equally . OH beware you dont have a down the line shooter on the next peg ,they dont like self loaders because they get covered in empty cases .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I think that never mind the semi auto on game there are far to many charlatans out there who shoot those new fangled over and under trap guns and everyone should go back to a side by side at the very least if not a hammer gun or even a muzzle loader :good:

George

Try it for DTL on the upwind station - banned after the first bird LOL :good::yes::good:

i think the point about the semi auto and being made to look safe are very valid. semi autos make people nervus cus u never know whats up the chamber. at least with a break barel u can keep it open.

Ah, so that'll explain all the accidents on the rifle ranges at Bisley where there are hundreds of people shooting and virtually nobody uses a break-open gun.

I don't think there is anything physically wrong with using a semi auto, provided everyone was happy about it. Having more than two shots may be considered unsporting. I believe in the early days of repeaters, pump actions were used without snobbery, however early ones were found to be less reliable, or at least that's what i've read. I would think reloading is quite a bit quicker and far better suited to driven game of sensible numbers.

Personally, I enjoy using a side by side, and occasionally over and under for my game shooting. There is something tremendously satisfying about taking a good left and right, followed by the reassuring ping as the cartridges come flying out, then having a couple more ready to stuff up the spout and continue on.

His answer is correct on every level try taking your semi auto on any game shoot and i can be nearly 100% positive you will be asked to leave or to use another gun, they are a very fickly lot game shooters its tradition and an etiquette based affair and only comes about a few months of the year, and if your on a small family shoot and not told directly about your auto most guns will give you a cold shoulder all day spoiling your day and there's don't risk it or take a o/u as back up.

"Invited on a pheasant day.................". Very nice indeed. First step is to have have quiet word with the host. What he say's wins.

The answer in the SS rag is utter **** as usual.

There is nothing wrong with S/A's used on driven game. It's about folk that run the shooting. Landowner, Head keeper, Shoot captain etc. and how they want their birds killed. There are estates in this neck of the woods where you will never see a self loader ever.

10 minutes up the road you'll see a group of like-minded people walking up and standing and half with auto's and few o/u's and sbs because the person who runs the shoot say's it's OK.

Edited by Whitebridges

Ok I can understand the safety issue but the other explanation about more shots is bu11sh1t. I mean as a semi-auto user myself I think it is a disgrace that they are frowned upon at formal shoots. If the host is so worried about the number of shots why don't they ask that you just load the gun with 2 shells all day. I use a semi-auto for all my shooting and for game shooting I don't use it because of the extra shot; I use it because I shoot a lot better with it than my O/U and also because there is less recoil.

I do not believe a S/A has any place on a driven day.

Why? I can understand people not knowing how safe this gun standing on the peg next to them might be, but aside from that what is the difference in a S/A with 2 shells in it and a O/U? In essence a S/A should be better for the formals shoots with big bags as there is less recoil so easier on the shoulder. Don't give me this **** about tradition, do we not owe it to our quarry to give them a sporting chance and a clean kill? if this happens to be with a S/A then so be it.

i think the point about the semi auto and being made to look safe are very valid. semi autos make people nervus cus u never know whats up the chamber. at least with a break barel u can keep it open.

If you don't trust someone with firearms, you shouldn't shoot with them, no matter what gun they use. I don't believe it has anything to do with safety, it is just a way of disguising the snobbery factor. I don't know anyone with a break barrel bolt action rifle when I go stalking, foxing or rabbiting, yet strangely, I don't feel in danger.

Why? I can understand people not knowing how safe this gun standing on the peg next to them might be, but aside from that what is the difference in a S/A with 2 shells in it and a O/U? In essence a S/A should be better for the formals shoots with big bags as there is less recoil so easier on the shoulder. Don't give me this **** about tradition, do we not owe it to our quarry to give them a sporting chance and a clean kill? if this happens to be with a S/A then so be it.

See my other post, if you don't trust the people you are shooting with, DON'T let them get the gun out of the slip, NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF GUN IT IS, the rest is just traditionalism and snobbery and I despise it

I do not believe a S/A has any place on a driven day.

:beer::good::beer::beer::beer:

Sorry but I haven't got a good reason for not wanting S/A or pump actions other than tradition, I think the safety and/or 3+ shots are just an excuse, most gameshooters are traditionalists and although I shoot an o/u myself when I am on a formal shoot and that would have been a no-no a generation ago, a semi auto is a step too far. This will I suppose mean that one or two individuals will be precluded from formal game shoots but tough, thats life.

The only exception to this "rule" should be for beaters day.

Mr Potter

Fullbore: I agree with you mate a lot of it is down to snobbery, I can't believe all these people talking bout its down to tradition when they are using O/U. If it was down to tradition then everyone should be using S/S. Although our syndicate isn't a formal shoot all of us use Semi-Autos and I feel completely safe with them. I can't see the reason why shoot managers can't say it is ok to use your Semi-Auto providing only 2 shells are put in it.

:beer::good::beer::beer::beer:

Sorry but I haven't got a good reason for not wanting S/A or pump actions other than tradition, I think the safety and/or 3+ shots are just an excuse, most gameshooters are traditionalists and although I shoot an o/u myself when I am on a formal shoot and that would have been a no-no a generation ago, a semi auto is a step too far. This will I suppose mean that one or two individuals will be precluded from formal game shoots but tough, thats life.

The only exception to this "rule" should be for beaters day.

Mr Potter

Couldn't agree with you more call me a snob i dont care tis how i feel :yay:

George